Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2016, 20:17   #166
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Keel sump repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Must have taken you hours. I know G-10 can be an SOB and heats blades up. I have a machine shop and use carbide insert cutters with dish soap and water mixture.

Nah, blasts right through that stuff. It just makes a giant duststorm when you do it. Definitely fullface material. You don't want to go there without full gear. Especially the circ saw. I have an assistant running a huge vac on the exhaust stream and I still do this in a tent. Full on tornado of itch. The jig saw work does take some time and patience. Also makes a sh*tstorm, just not as bad.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 20:21   #167

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Incredible workmanship! Thanks for posting all the detail stuff.

Whats your thoughts on bedding in the new g10 bulkhead. Looked like you glued it down with epoxy? I vaguely remember old talk about bonding bulkheads onto foam gaskets rather direct to the hull to reduce the point loads and allow the hull to flex? Directly bonding seems better to me. In this case I guess the good solid tabbing spreads the load nicely.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 26-05-2016, 20:40   #168
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Incredible workmanship! Thanks for posting all the detail stuff.

Whats your thoughts on bedding in the new g10 bulkhead. Looked like you glued it down with epoxy? I vaguely remember old talk about bonding bulkheads onto foam gaskets rather direct to the hull to reduce the point loads and allow the hull to flex? Directly bonding seems better to me. In this case I guess the good solid tabbing spreads the load nicely.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

That's the idea. That's why the nice taper on the relatively wide tabbing (9"). There is no give in that G10 bulkhead whatsoever. None. I know for sure, because I accidentally shin kicked that sucker and have a permanent dent in my shinbone to show for it!

This entire arrangement is the spine of the boat after all. I'm fine with zero flex. I'm sure the owner will be too, as he stated early on that he always wondered why he couldn't get the rig tension to stay tuned, it was always slack eventually no matter what. Because the mast was bending the floor of the shattered keel sump and forcing the gap between ballast keel and stub to get larger,effectively being driven through the bottom of the boat every time the rig was tensioned! Now he will be able to crank up the rig tension all he wants with no trouble. His race crew will be pleased. I predict improved performance.

I never understood putting in a strip of flexible material between the bulkhead and hull and then glassing over it with structural tabbing, which is rigid, anyway. Silly. Only helps to prevent bulkhead print through in very lightly built boats, IMHO.

Old 26-05-2016, 20:57   #169

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Thanks Minaret, makes good sense to me.
Old 26-05-2016, 21:39   #170

Minaret,

Amazing work!!! Quick question how do you prep your G-10 prior to glassing? I find it very slippery and appreciate any tips to improve adhesion during tabbing/glass work.

Thanks!!!
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 21:49   #171
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojanica View Post
Minaret,

Amazing work!!! Quick question how do you prep your G-10 prior to glassing? I find it very slippery and appreciate any tips to improve adhesion during tabbing/glass work.

Thanks!!!

I sand with a random orbit sander and 60 grit till all gloss is gone before bonding in place. Then I sand again with the same and various grinders to prep the fillet. Inevitably, right before glassing I scuff everything by hand with 36 grit fresh in a cross hatch pattern. Just reflex. Probably totally unnecessary. Resin system for bonding is WEST with Extra Slow hardener, for laminating Silvertip Slow. Gives it time to really really soak in to the substrate.

Old 26-05-2016, 21:53   #172

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I sand with a random orbit sander and 60 grit till all gloss is gone before bonding in place. Then I sand again with the same and various grinders to prep the fillet. Inevitably, right before glassing I scuff everything by hand with 36 grit fresh in a cross hatch pattern. Just reflex. Probably totally unnecessary. Resin system for bonding is WEST with Extra Slow hardener, for laminating Silvertip Slow. Gives it time to really really soak in to the substrate.
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 22:54   #173

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

By the way Minaret...How is your boat coming along? I seem to remember you had a fire that was near it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel