Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 07:15   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Keel Saga, for Those Contemplating this Procedure for Your Boat . . .

Classic brain fart... While working on clearing out the bedding material on the keel yesterday, I managed to forget about the laws of torque and gravity, getting my sawsall blade stuck in the process.

The keel joint has about a 1/4 inch of epoxy around the outside edge of the 5200 bead (yes, 5200) from an apparent attempt at sealing this keel before. Of course, I have to clear all of that out to separate the two. So here I am, happily cutting along while taking care to avoid the keel bolts hidden in the mess, when suddenly, the blade jams and turns to a pretzel.

With judicious use of my multitool, wedges and a mallet, I was finally able to extricate the blade without harming the boat. Needless to say, the customer doesn't get charged for the 1.5 hours I spent getting it out. He didn't forget to use wedges.....

Pictures later today. I'll be nice and keep everything in this one thread for you folks.
CharlieCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 02:14   #2

looking forward to seeing the pictures,thanks
quitfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 19:27   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Knutson K-35 Yawl "Oh Joy" - Mariner 31 Ketch "Kahagon" - K-40 "Seasmoke" - 30' Sloop "Baccus"
Phase one of the CS-36M keel rebed is done. Other than having to spend $300 for tools (read as giant sockets and breaker bars) and having a 3/4" breaker bar shatter on one of the bolts (replaced for free), it went well. All of my prep work at separating was worth it as the hull came off in one clean easy lift to be set aside.

and

Chris took a video but had to go to work so I won't have it until tomorrow. Once the keel was separated, they set the hull on stands to the side with the load still on the crane while we cleaned up the mating surface. We applied packing tape to the hull for a mold release and applied epoxy and microballons (like peanut butta) to the top of the keel. They then picked the boat again and set her on the keel nice and slowly. I was too busy working to take pics.

After the hull was back on the keel with about 6,000 Lbs still on the crane, the boys tightened the keel bolt to draw her down. They then eased off and we torqued to 100 Lbs for now. I went around swiping off the excess (and there was a lot of it) and faired the joint as it oozed out.

and

So, she'll sit and cure overnight and then we'll lift her off again in the morning to apply 4200. Once that's done liberally, we'll reset her the last time and torque the keel bolts to full torque.

Then it's on to the rest of the job....
Old 09-07-2010, 09:33   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Could you explain why you have used a layer of epoxy first then 5200/4200? Why not just clean the surfaces up, slap on the 5200 or 4200 and bolt the hull back down on it?

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 16:04   #5

i dont know much about boats, if you have time could you post a picture of the entire boat....thanks!
Old 09-07-2010, 16:48   #6

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft
Charlie,
Without the video, this thread is useless--Gotcha
Old 09-07-2010, 19:19   #7

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
From one not as handy as you clearly are, your adventures in restoration continue to inspire me. You show me it's not as complicated as my ignorance would have me believe. Thanks, mate.
Old 09-07-2010, 20:15   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Guys..

After not having access to the crane yesterday, we got it this morning and pulled the hull off. The homemade mold release of packing tape worked pretty well but didn't wanna come off the hull without some diligent scraping. Once we got separation, they hung the boat off to the side while I did some last minute fairing.

After fairing the epoxy edges even with the keel top, I took to cleaning the bolt threads.

After which, we all jumped in with caulking guns to apply the 4200. Big circular mounds were laid up at the base of the bolts and more was applied by hand up the bolts to where it had been before.

Once this was done, we set her back on the keel, holding some weight while the boys tightened bolts. After they were manually tight, we let off weight and repeated with 100 Lbs of torque. Then we came off all of the weight and the final torque settings were applied. While the torqueing was going on, I was busy getting 4200 all over me while I shaved the excess off with a spreader.

So, the keel is done and now it's on to bottom paint and a compound/wax job. I don't have the parts for the water heater R&R yet so hopefully, that's next week. We have a hard date of the 23rd.

BTW, I still haven't gotten my videos but will this weekend.
Old 09-07-2010, 20:18   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Could you explain why you have used a layer of epoxy first then 5200/4200? Why not just clean the surfaces up, slap on the 5200 or 4200 and bolt the hull back down on it?

Pete

The reason for this was to insure that the mating surfaces matched perfectly with no gaps. The tops of these keels are not even and do not match the nice, smooth curves of the hulls. By laying up the epoxy (more than needed) and then setting the keel with minimum torque (100 Lbs) you get a perfect match after the epoxy cures. The you applying the sealant and are sure the seal is good with no gaps.
Old 09-07-2010, 20:18   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by quitfishing View Post
i dont know much about boats, if you have time could you post a picture of the entire boat....thanks!
I'll do that once she's cleaned up and ready to go. Sort of a before and after thing...
Old 10-07-2010, 02:06   #11

thanks , now i have a better idea whats going on!
Old 10-07-2010, 02:47   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Yes, many thanks

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat