Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2014, 13:09   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Keel joint rust?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terra Nova View Post
It is OK that neither of you has ever removed 1 keel bolt, yourself--most sailors have not. Those who have, will likely realize that accessing these bolts often calls for major surgery to the yacht's interior. And that bolt replacement does not necessarily require the keel's removal, a major expense.

The rust stain in the photo is either from a rusting bolt or an iron keel.
Hee Hee... I never said that did I???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
Did you bother to read our replies?
HO!... Ho.... HOoooooooo!!!!!!

I don't think so H... We needed to be more specific.... My GOOF!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Horror--yes, at least you were honest that the closest you've come to replacing a keel bolt was to modify a centerboard. Happy sounds happy to imply that this will be the 2nd time he removes a 10,000 lb keel, by himself (I don't believe that--do you? )
OK.... I've been a member of many forums... I never do this...

Defend myself... Cause I ain't gotta!!! Life is way too short...
I'm doing it now because you seem to have some agenda or attempt to completely discredit what I say... That's OK... I'm not BOTHERED

Really.... I mean this.... This is gunna get fun.... Have a seat Mr. Nova...

I've already mentioned that there are differing opinions on a lot of stuff, and I completely admit that I don't ALWAYS have the BEST ANSWER!!!

There it is... one more time.... I'm wrong a LOT!

But your knowledge of my skill and experience is dismal at the very best... I know a lot... AND I DON'T KNOW alot!!! I'm HUMAN!!!!...

So....... To answer your question DIRECTLY...
Yes, THREE KEELS!!!
I WIN@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

28 Pearson, 30 Catalina, 22 Chrylsler.... All personally owned boats...

AND........

First up.... The swing keel From the Chrysler.... You could get me on a technicality here as there is REALLY only A pin... BUT... I NEEDED to take out 10 "keel pin flange" BOLTS to grind, and layup both sides of the the trunk and the hull with OVER 1/2" thick!!! oh... by several feet (taking in account of the 12/1 magic #) ( you do know what I'm talking about and are following yes??? ) (just making sure).... (If you you want the glasswork pictures I would be happy to provide them... They are pretty impressive for a complete hack like me... )

Next up????

One of the keel nuts off the next keel drop job...
(I just took the picture a few minutes ago, cause it was laying conveniently on my desk)

(What's that you say Happy??? Could it really be true??? Are you gunna pull a real fer sure keel???? Uhyep)

It's just ....

AN M30 x 3.5 STAINLESS STEEL NUT DESIGNED TO HOLD (with many others of course) A 10,000 LB KEEL.... In case you were curious ... These bad boys are the metric equivalent of 1-1/8" - 7!!!! There are 8 of these titans, combined with two rather puny M20's ... The UTS/YS (that's ultimate tensile strength/yield strength to you) are 90ksi and 45ksi respectively.... I'm sayin.... Wow!!!! It would take OVER 44, 000 lbs just to STRETCH ONE BOLT!!! Let alone 8 of these bad Mo Fo's... Wooooo Hooooo!!!! That's rockin! (if you want me to do more math??? again... I would be happy.... I aR iN EnGineeeeeeer (mekanikal)....

I will be happy to post the pictures of the "indeed 10,000 lb" keel in various stages of repose.... (that is being used as a metaphor... it means sleeping, or at rest so you don't have to look it up)

Also... Should you require... I have pictures of the other 2 keel jobs....

Sorry For My honesty.... Sorry if this offended ANYBODY on the forum (including you Mr. Nova) I truly Love this forum.... I Help as much as I possibly can... saving members from untold matters of danger, financial hardship, and possibly a relationship or two... When I'm right... which isn't ALWAYS.... I also LEARN A LOT!!!!! Probably more than I actually HELP!!!! I also tend to goof a lot here too.... It makes the place fun.... Maybe I should tone that down... Oh yea... I'm also wrong a lot too...

Let's be a little more polite, diplomatic, and check our facts next time...
OK bud??? Who knows.... I probably wouldn't mind takin' ya for a sail... Yer close!

I wonder if boaty left yet??? I may need something to occupy my time during my ban... Boaty??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chrysler Keel Dropped .jpg
Views:	667
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	78611   Click image for larger version

Name:	M30x3.5 Keel Bolt .jpg
Views:	277
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	78612  

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 13:27   #32

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Hee Hee... I never said that did I???

HO!... Ho.... HOoooooooo!!!!!!

I don't think so H... We needed to be more specific.... My GOOF!!!!!!!!

OK.... I've been a member of many forums... I never do this...

Defend myself... Cause I ain't gotta!!! Life is way too short...
I'm doing it now because you seem to have some agenda or attempt to completely discredit what I say... That's OK... I'm not BOTHERED

Really.... I mean this.... This is gunna get fun.... Have a seat Mr. Nova...

I've already mentioned that there are differing opinions on a lot of stuff, and I completely admit that I don't ALWAYS have the BEST ANSWER!!!

There it is... one more time.... I'm wrong a LOT!

But your knowledge of my skill and experience is dismal at the very best... I know a lot... AND I DON'T KNOW alot!!! I'm HUMAN!!!!...

So....... To answer your question DIRECTLY...
Yes, THREE KEELS!!!
I WIN@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

28 Pearson, 30 Catalina, 22 Chrylsler.... All personally owned boats...

AND........

First up.... The swing keel From the Chrysler.... You could get me on a technicality here as there is REALLY only A pin... BUT... I NEEDED to take out 10 "keel pin flange" BOLTS to grind, and layup both sides of the the trunk and the hull with OVER 1/2" thick!!! oh... by several feet (taking in account of the 12/1 magic #) ( you do know what I'm talking about and are following yes??? ) (just making sure).... (If you you want the glasswork pictures I would be happy to provide them... They are pretty impressive for a complete hack like me... )

Next up????

One of the keel nuts off the next keel drop job...
(I just took the picture a few minutes ago, cause it was laying conveniently on my desk)

(What's that you say Happy??? Could it really be true??? Are you gunna pull a real fer sure keel???? Uhyep)

It's just ....

AN M30 x 3.5 STAINLESS STEEL NUT DESIGNED TO HOLD (with many others of course) A 10,000 LB KEEL.... In case you were curious ... These bad boys are the metric equivalent of 1-1/8" - 7!!!! There are 8 of these titans, combined with two rather puny M20's ... The UTS/YS (that's ultimate tensile strength/yield strength to you) are 90ksi and 45ksi respectively.... I'm sayin.... Wow!!!! It would take OVER 44, 000 lbs just to STRETCH ONE BOLT!!! Let alone 8 of these bad Mo Fo's... Wooooo Hooooo!!!! That's rockin! (if you want me to do more math??? again... I would be happy.... I aR iN EnGineeeeeeer (mekanikal)....

I will be happy to post the pictures of the "indeed 10,000 lb" keel in various stages of repose.... (that is being used as a metaphor... it means sleeping, or at rest so you don't have to look it up)

Also... Should you require... I have pictures of the other 2 keel jobs....

Sorry For My honesty.... Sorry if this offended ANYBODY on the forum (including you Mr. Nova) I truly Love this forum.... I Help as much as I possibly can... saving members from untold matters of danger, financial hardship, and possibly a relationship or two... When I'm right... which isn't ALWAYS.... I also LEARN A LOT!!!!! Probably more than I actually HELP!!!! I also tend to goof a lot here too.... It makes the place fun.... Maybe I should tone that down... Oh yea... I'm also wrong a lot too...

Let's be a little more polite, diplomatic, and check our facts next time...
OK bud??? Who knows.... I probably wouldn't mind takin' ya for a sail... Yer close!

I wonder if boaty left yet??? I may need something to occupy my time during my ban... Boaty??
Nice one! I especially like the pic of the nut...
Old 01-04-2014, 13:31   #33

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Happy--I'm proud of you--a real class act... for admitting you were wrong.

And for allowing me to have some fun with you.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 13:45   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1977 View Post
Nice one! I especially like the pic of the nut...
It took me forever to figure out if I wanted to post that.... As much as I probably skirt the rules here.... I should know them (the rules) better!

Quote:

You bet bud.... Like I said... Different strokes for different folks.... My pads grind the rotors on the Expedition??? SOME PEOPLE People freak.... YOU NEED NEW ROTORS MAN.... You kill yourself!!!!!

Bah.... I'll save that for the "good car".. with a turbo... painted red... That does what Mr. Randy Newman says it does...

Now next time I'm in town... I wanna see that Freya Cutter.... THAT'S something I KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!!!

But Imma go look her up soon!

Old 01-04-2014, 13:52   #35

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

No keel bolts to rust (10,000 lbs internal ballast).

Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 22:03   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Oh... And I wasn't wrong ... For what I would have done with the OP.... Just wrong for what YOU would have done!

Quote:
No keel bolts to rust (10,000 lbs internal ballast).

Suhweet....

She resembles the Morgan a bit, but on Roids...

BTW... The bolts that I ordered for a test fit came today... 10=60lbs...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bolt for M30x3.5 Keel Nut.jpg
Views:	499
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	78642  

Old 01-04-2014, 22:33   #37

Boat: 1972 Aquarius 23'

Quote:

I like to say I have a plethora of knowledge in all the wrong subjects.......

wandering and wondering around with no destionation
Wonderinlost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 06:20   #38
cruiser

Quote:
Horror--yes, at least you were honest that the closest you've come to replacing a keel bolt was to modify a centerboard. Happy sounds happy to imply that this will be the 2nd time he removes a 10,000 lb keel, by himself (I don't believe that--do you? )

Modifying a centerboard? Not really I reworked the bottom 3' of keel completely, I'm fully aware of what removing keel bolts requires. Lifting the boat off the keel. You seem to be in denial that for some of us large projects are possible and fun. You're continued view is we cant understand how much work it actually is, or we're not that skilled to pull it off. I would rather drop a keel than go sailing any day of the week. I enjoy the repair way more than sailing. I like to travel and sail is my vessel, but fabrication is my real passion. Half the fun in pulling a keel is someone paying me to do it.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 07:09   #39

Boat: '83 Endeavour 40

Sheeessh, ask a simple question....
Old 02-04-2014, 07:19   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Modifying a centerboard? Not really I reworked the bottom 3' of keel completely, I'm fully aware of what removing keel bolts requires. Lifting the boat off the keel. You seem to be in denial that for some of us large projects are possible and fun. You're continued view is we cant understand how much work it actually is, or we're not that skilled to pull it off. I would rather drop a keel than go sailing any day of the week. I enjoy the repair way more than sailing. I like to travel and sail is my vessel, but fabrication is my real passion. Half the fun in pulling a keel is someone paying me to do it.
Uhm...... What are you doing in 3 weeks??? Do you have any vacation time built up??? Uhm... Uhm.... I mean .. er... If I can in any way help you continue on your path to Nirvana by keel dropping and juxtaposition....
I Honestly will step aside and help only when asked????

Old 02-04-2014, 07:30   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liunatic View Post
Sheeessh, ask a simple question....
Pretty funny wasn't it???

If ya follow my posts... I'm a 2 like jokester wannabe with an occasional good tip thrown in...

I couldn't help myself, as I was right (for me)...
And it was said I had blatantly misrepresented my experience...

Anyhoo... That weeping is so commonplace it's not funny... Replacing keelbolts a few at a time is not hard, or an issue... You're just going to keep this on a routine maintenance list whereas you could forget about it completely....

Me??? I would prefer to drop, inspect, seal the sucker up so nothing liquidy n salty can get in there to corrode the replaced bolts...

Old 02-04-2014, 10:45   #42

Boat: '83 Endeavour 40

Well I posted the post to learn, and learn I did. So now my next (simple)question:

HappyMDR, the test bolts you posted a pic of, your 10=60.....does that mean each bolt weighs 6 pounds, or is that some reference to something else I don't know?
Old 08-04-2014, 06:03   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Uhm...... What are you doing in 3 weeks??? Do you have any vacation time built up??? Uhm... Uhm.... I mean .. er... If I can in any way help you continue on your path to Nirvana by keel dropping and juxtaposition....
I Honestly will step aside and help only when asked????
Horror????

WhEr'D you go bud??? You need gas money to entice your participation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liunatic View Post
Well I posted the post to learn, and learn I did. So now my next (simple)question:

HappyMDR, the test bolts you posted a pic of, your 10=60.....does that mean each bolt weighs 6 pounds, or is that some reference to something else I don't know?
Yea... you guessed right... sorry for the cryptic post... box of 10 had 60 lb shipping weight...

Old 08-04-2014, 08:28   #44
cruiser

I'm on the water heading home from Georgetown exuma. I though you were probably just pulling my leg, but it also didn't sound like a paying job. I have to go home and put in 5 months at my seasonal business, then Oct. 1st head out again. I like the 5 on, 7 off schedule.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:38   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm on the water heading home from Georgetown exuma. I though you were probably just pulling my leg, but it also didn't sound like a paying job. I have to go home and put in 5 months at my seasonal business, then Oct. 1st head out again. I like the 5 on, 7 off schedule.
I kid....

Sounds like you have my desired ideal situation already in your pocket...

Good for you man... It sounds awesome!

I'll let ya know how things turn out!

Tags
keel