Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2009, 11:13   #1

Keel Bolt Replacement

We own a Beneteau First 24 swing keel. We sprung a leak last summer and determined that the keel bolts were the only possible source. Having decided to extract one to determine its condition I have found that the bolt turns but does not extract. Have any members any experience of these keels and if so any information of the procedure for replacing the bolts.
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
CharliesWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2009, 12:13   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I haven’t re-read these relevant threads recently, but suspect they may provide some help:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ent-10316.html

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ts-8119-2.html

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2009, 15:46   #3

Working on my 24 now

The keelbolts are put in from the outside of the hull. The heads are under a panel on the underside of the hull. Do you know anything about the pivot pin. How big is it. What material was yours made of. What condition was the pivot pin in.
Lightwave888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2009, 03:06   #4

Keel Bolt Replacement

I changed the bolts last winter and reinforced the inner box section with steel plate. The construction of the pivot pin appears to be nylon. I really want to drop the keel as I don't think it has ever been dropped in 25 years! We have an annoying leak which only appears when we stay on board and sleep in the forepeak. She takes on around 2 inches of water in the hull, hence the keel bolt replacement. This has not cured the leak! Do toy have any similar problems?
The pivot pin looks OK but really want to replace it as a matter of maintenence. Have you dropped your keel yet?
Old 16-08-2009, 11:19   #5

First 24 leak

Is it possible that the leak is coming from one of the two transduser thru-hull fittings under the V-berth? The box for the keel is completely sealed. The only holes are for the keel bolts. Did you use 3M 5200 Adhesive sealant when you replaced the bolts? The pivot pin should be steel, stainless steel or Bronze with a nylon sleeve and nylon washers on both sides. Steel or stainless I would replace but bronze would probably be fine after 25 years. The weight of the keel is close to 1,100 lbs or 500 Kg so only nylon would be too weak to support that weight alone. I'm really happy to hear from you. I will tell you more about my 24. We should exchange email addresses or add each other on facebook.
photos here: John Canon's Photos - Repairing the Beneteau | Facebook
Old 16-08-2009, 12:17   #6

Hi John

Good to hear from another first 24 owner. Your keel bolts look as though they were on the very edge, lucky escape! I replaced mine last year and they were fine, no wear whatsoever. Have you ever dropped your keel? I really want to remove the keel and replace any worn parts. Our boat has always had a slight leak. I have replaced almost all of the skin fittings and the log and transducer units. The boat only leaks when we sleep on board, which is really odd, she has leaked 3 times so far and we wake up to find 2-3 inches of water in the hull. It comes up through the keel bolt hatches and floods the galley sections. It also travels between the inner and outer hull sections and flows as far as the heads and aft cabin. The tow bolt appears to be the only thing which is under water when we are on board, however there is never any water in the forepeak whatsoever. Where are you based? We are in Christchurch on the south coast.
Old 16-08-2009, 15:20   #7

I am in the United States in South Carolina about 170 miles from the ocean. My 24 is trailerable and is now on her trailer. I am a professional Captain but I am not working presently. I went back to University and graduated last year with a degree in Russian language and History. The economy is so bad that I have not found work yet. I am considering going back to work as a captain until things get better. I bought the 24 to use as a dormatory substitute during my last year of University. She was wrecked in Hurricane Katrina and I won the online auction. There was no hull damage but the previous owner removed lots of things from the boat before the storm. I lived aboard on a large lake in a yacht club in Columbia South Carolina and drove to school each day 15 miles away. I've owned several large yachts such as a Morgan O/I 41, Islander Bahama 30, Alden 38, Beneteau 30E, Hunter 34, Soling 27 and now the Beneteau 24. It sounds very strange that you would be taking water through the keelboat hatches. Please do this: look the boat over and find ALL the thru hull fittings. Very likely you are looking for one near the bow that is not under the water unless the bow has the extra 200 lbs in it (when someone is sleeping in the v berth). When they are all dry, sprinkle talcomb powder down in the gaps where the NUT for the fitting is located inside the boat. Then get in the v berth for a few minutes and then get out and check all of them again. Maybe you will find the leaky thru hull. If not then maybe there is a leak coming from the bottom of the anchor locker. If not then I would guess you need to pull the boat out of the water on a trailer. Let it dry and then put some water in the boat with a hose. If you see water leaking from around the pivot pin you may have a crack somewhere near there. Check for leaks around the bow area. I really think it will be something else because the crack would be under water all the time and would always leak. My boat is always bone dry inside. I'll look around my boat for places that might be potential leak points if there was weight in the V berth. The keel hinge is completely outside the hull except for the bolts. If you installed them with anything other than (3M 5200 ADHESIVE SEALANT) That could be the problem. The bolts must fit in the holes very tightly. If the bolts were too small then they could shift and leak.
Old 16-08-2009, 16:29   #8

leak potential

The only other place I found was the Bow Eye. Where you would tie the bow to the trailer to pull the boat forward, there is a U shaped bolt that goes through the hull. On any of the fittings that go through they could leak into the void between the hull liner and the hull. If you remember the bolts that you installed for the keel being loose in the holes though, I bet they have shifted and broke the seal of the sealant. The bow eye is low on the hull close to the water line and could have been pulled loose If you've had it on a trailer lately. I'd like to share pictures and see your boat! Take care! Someday I want to see New Zealand!
Old 17-08-2009, 13:02   #9

Leak Potential

Hi John, thanks for the info and advice. I will be checking the u bolt carefully. The first major leak came about last year, the same year I trailered her home and used the u-bolt to winch her firm on the trailer? Could be the culprit, i will do some investigating. My email is reno@codeworksltd.com, if you want to facebook. I will try and ge some pics sorted out. I was hoping you were also based on the south coast of the UK so that we could see both boats on the water. Bit of a long trek for either of us though!

Tags
keel