Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2018, 15:22   #1

Keel Bolt Advice

So, I went to see a mid 1980s Pearson for sale. For the most part well kept and loved.

What's concerning is the bilge. It was wet and a few of the bolts are clearly rusting. What is it going to take to make this right?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pearson Bilge 1.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	428.3 KB
ID:	168932   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pearson Bilge 2.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	412.2 KB
ID:	168933  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pearson Bilge 3.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	411.7 KB
ID:	168934  
Drew13440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 15:42   #2

Boat: Cape Dory 31
Re: Keel Bolt Advice

You must find out where the "wet" is coming from. Is the keel and hull mating surface intact? If not then the keel must be dropped or removed so the mating surfaces can be cleaned and resealed. Have the keel bolts been re-torqued lately? It certainly doesn't look that way.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 15:47   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

Those are at the tail of the keel, in what I suspect is the deepest part of the bilge (ergo the pump). Can be difficult to keep dry with water coming down the mast or whatever. The question I would have is what do the rest of the bolts looks like, and is water coming in through the bolts? If the rest of the bolts look similar and there is water coming in through the bedding then I would either walk away or be prepared to drop the keel for new bolts.

If the rest looks good and this is just the sump I'd probably overlook it...if I knew where the water was coming from and it was not a concern.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2018, 17:07   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Those are at the tail of the keel, in what I suspect is the deepest part of the bilge (ergo the pump). Can be difficult to keep dry with water coming down the mast or whatever. The question I would have is what do the rest of the bolts looks like, and is water coming in through the bolts? If the rest of the bolts look similar and there is water coming in through the bedding then I would either walk away or be prepared to drop the keel for new bolts.

If the rest looks good and this is just the sump I'd probably overlook it...if I knew where the water was coming from and it was not a concern.
You are exactly right, these are to the rear. I did not photograph the forward bolts, which looked very good, although also wet. I didn't bother to taste the bilge water as the boat wintered in a slip on an upper Chesapeake tributary - not saline at the surface - and hasn't been sailed yet this spring.

The engine and its compartment were both immaculate. I put my hand on the stone cold Yanmar block before she fired up, immediately. No smoke whatsoever and plenty of coolant spitting out back. That's encouraging.

A good surveyor will be involved if this moves forward, but you guys are a great sounding board and I appreciate the response.
Old 01-05-2018, 12:14   #5

All right, I'm trying to avoid the situation the other running keel bolt poster is faced with. Any more opinions on this prospect?
Old 01-05-2018, 15:38   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Keel Bolt Advice

I’d say if it took 30+ yrs to look like it does, then you have another 20 before you get real concerned.
However I am no surveyor, nor naval architect.
30+ yr old boats will have issues, your job and your surveyors job is to find them.
Do not scrimp on the surveyor, good ones cost more, but may save your financial life. Be there for the survey, take him or her to lunch, be a nice guy, befriend them, help with any physical work, and ask a LOT of questions.
This is your chance to learn the boat inside and out from a professional, don’t waste the opportunity.

If you buy her, buy her a better pump and switch
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel