Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-07-2020, 09:23   #106

Re: Keel/Bilge area crack/Stern impact?

No leaks mentioned in the survey, even if there is one present now....thats how much faith I'm putting into his report.....hence all my worries..
Sailorbouy2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 09:26   #107

This whole process is leaving me with a bitter taste in the mouth and a sleepless night ahead. At this moment i wouldn't want it because of the issue.

I might just have to see if i can get the deposit back after legal advice.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:19   #108
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

well, as pointed out by the previous poster, and I agree, the liner does not likely provide any meaningful structural support for the hull or keel, I got that wrong, so let's brush this issue aside.

The things I love about the Bennie. I was never a supporter of the open transom idea, favored by the French, but have come to love this feature for a number of reasons and would have a hard time considering a boat without this feature.

The boat sails like a bat outa hell, it is likely it's best feature, it is fast, well mannered, well balanced, etc. It is truly a joy to sail. Bennie got that part right. You can take that boat anywhere. Importantly, it is also very docile when anchored, unlike some boats which tend to sail around on an anchor..

I think the interior is well appointed too, bright, airy, spacious, easy engine access and so and tons of storage.

I did have a problem with that big window right behind the mast as it is just bonded into place, and it leaked a little. I tried various caulks but none worked satisfactorily, but did finally stumble on a caulk that did the trick. I don't know what kind of caulking you have available there, but it needs to be the gluey kind, not 5200, but something like that.

Get a good night's rest...tomorrow is a new day.
MicHughV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:25   #109
Marine Service Provider

I also had the fuel leak problem as stated elsewhere, but it was a relatively easy fix.....some labor and $10 worth of parts..
Old 04-07-2020, 10:38   #110

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbouy2312 View Post
Should the BUYER find a problem on the vessel not recognised by the SELLER a maritime surveyor could be appointed to judge the seriousness of the problem to confirm cancellation of the sale or not.

The consultancy fees will then be the responsibility of the losing plaintiff.
I see no reason for you to arrange another survey. Reject the boat and demand the deposit back in writing. Then do nothing, you don't have to, other than line up a solicitor, perhaps with a free 30 minute consultation like the do in the UK.
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:10   #111

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Well, I can understand your worry and you have our sympathy.

However, at the moment you have a stubborn broker in another country who thinks he can force the deal and make it all happen.

He is deluded and just needs the facts of life explained to him. One sharp letter, then go quiet. Legal to follow in due course if necessary.

Had a similar run in with a UK broker who sold all his stock apart from our little sports cruiser. Sold it to the trade myself. Lots of snotty phone calls and letters about his commission. Gave him a £1000 to shut him up and cover his storage fees in the end, but he didn't get his 8% plus VAT he was hoping for.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:41   #112
Marine Service Provider

yah, I looked at all these photo's again. While I agree that there is some type of structural grid that must have been glassed in while the hull was in the mold, the liner appears to be resting on top of these structural elements. The " structural" grid itself, also seems to have cracks where it joins the hull, which I was there to take a closer look myself as I'm intrigued. would definitely do the knife blade trick.

Too many " iffy" things here...

Like the mod sez, time to stand back and take a stand.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:58   #113

The obvious question is :

Is it seaworthy in its current state?

And do I have the right to dispute the surveyor's report if I think he had made an error, despite his assurances to the contrary. The report has the usual disclaimer attached!
Old 04-07-2020, 12:28   #114

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The obvious question is :

Is it seaworthy in its current state?
If you go gently sailing around the med in calm seas, probably. If you sail across the N Atlantic West to East, hmm, Cheeky Rafiki springs to mind and she was repaired.

Quote:
And do I have the right to dispute the surveyor's report if I think he had made an error, despite his assurances to the contrary. The report has the usual disclaimer attached!
The surveyors report is yours and yours only as you paid for it. It is for you decide whether to accept or ignore what he has said. If the vendor wants a survey he can go and pay for one, not rely on yours.

Can you have your money back? That depends on the wording of the contract. I hope so, but not qualified to give an opinion. I have had a Queens Council give an opinion in the UK. That was £2000 for his letter and opinion.

How much does the UK yard want to send someone out to survey it? That might be an interesting option to price up and keep up your sleeve.

Pete
Old 04-07-2020, 12:45   #115

Cruisers Forum Supporter

if you are going to visit the yacht, take:

A camera.

Screw drivers, to dismantle and leverage.

A torch.

A mirror.

An Endoscope (not a cheap $15 Amazon one either).

Why? well that little sports cruiser I mentioned earlier, the inner liner had broken away from the hull and the furniture creaked when we went over the top of every wave. Only found out when I removed some furniture and lifted the water tank out to replace it. I repaired it as best I could, replaced the tank and screwed it all back down again. No surveyor would have found the problem.

Good luck and do go cold on the broker for now. You have nothing to loose at the moment by keeping stumn, if you don't want to write the sharp letter.

Pete
Old 04-07-2020, 12:50   #116

The issue is one of time. The broker wants a answer by Monday as to whether I will proceed with the sale. I don't think the seller want to delay whilst I have it investigated.

I can't get there in such a short time, so its not an option.
Old 04-07-2020, 12:56   #117

Any reasonable person would allow me to reject the purchase , providing I did so within the contract restrictions.

I am also of the opinion its my contract as I paid for it and I believe I don't have to share the information with anyone, no matter how hard they shout at me to prove it has a fault.

He was very reasonable when I said there were an issue that needed investigation, shared the information amongst his contacts. They have a different view to that of the UK shipyard.

That has now disappeared.
Old 04-07-2020, 13:18   #118

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
The issue is one of time. The broker wants a answer by Monday as to whether I will proceed with the sale. I don't think the seller want to delay whilst I have it investigated.

I can't get there in such a short time, so its not an option.
Then option one:

Reject it in writing on the grounds of significant cracking between the hull and liner.

Option two:

Don't be pressurised by the broker and tell him you won't be until the significant structural problems have been investigated. This way you call the shots, not him.

Pete
Old 04-07-2020, 13:20   #119

Here is the surveyor's caveat:

This report must be considered as limited to the statement of the apparent and general condition of the yacht, as it was at the time of the inspection, without any prejudice for the terms and conditions of the relevant insurance policy. Therefore, the inspection cannot be considered as inclusive of the control of integrity and working condition of individual parts of the hull, machinery and fittings, as well as of eventual latent / hidden defects of equipment or materials.
Old 04-07-2020, 13:21   #120

I have already rejected it, but he won't have it, demanding to see what is in the survey, or my deposit will be gone

Tags
keel, bilge