Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2012, 11:15   #1
Marine Service Provider

Kayak Rack or Davit System ?

Anyone know of a rack or davit system for storing kayaks on the mothership that allows for easy launch and retrieval? Or have any DIY ideas for one. I have one 2 seater now, and I'm planning on adding a second. I usually keep it stored right along the rail, but it's a tight fit, and a PITA, not to mention chips the gelcoat up when launching.

What I'm looking for is something that would make life easier when staying put for a while, and when chartering, not something that would be used offshore or for passages. Although, if there is a system that would do both, that would be great! I'm on a 34' cat, and I'm thinking ideally of one stored along each side, but I'm open to any suggestions.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 14:32   #2
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat
Re: Kayak rack or davit system

I too am needing to address this problem. It seems like the common solution around here is a rack made from PVC pipe hose clamped to the stanchions so the kayak sits just outboard of the lifelines/railings. I'd like to come up with a more elegant solution, but haven't really put any thought into it yet. I'll be watching this one to see if someone here has already come up with an ingenious solution.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 14:51   #3
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I too am needing to address this problem. It seems like the common solution around here is a rack made from PVC pipe hose clamped to the stanchions so the kayak sits just outboard of the lifelines/railings. I'd like to come up with a more elegant solution, but haven't really put any thought into it yet. I'll be watching this one to see if someone here has already come up with an ingenious solution.
If its on the outside, made of PVC it seems as if it will break easly if any waves hit it? Needs to be made out of SS ?
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 15:20   #4
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
If its on the outside, made of PVC it seems as if it will break easly if any waves hit it? Needs to be made out of SS ?
I agree. I live in Puget Sound, where many people have kayaks but setup their sailboats for cruising inland waterways. I think the PVC answer is just the usual quick and dirty solution people come up with. Sched. 80 pipe is very strong and easy to join the angles on. Three hose clamps per stanchion makes for a surprisingly strong arrangement. However I, like you apparently, would like a stronger more elegant solution. I don't want to attach to stanchions at all myself. Wouldn't want to rip off my teak hand rails or any stanchions if you somehow managed to fill the kayak with water under way, ie heeling too far combined with an ill timed wave.
Old 16-02-2012, 16:30   #5
Marine Service Provider

Re: Kayak Rack or Davit System ?

A nice piece of curved stainless, with a clamp on one end to attach to the stanchions would be perfect. I'm a cat, and these are sit on top kayaks, so I really don't have to worry about them filling with water. This set up would be for calm conditions and inland waters, otherwise the kayaks would go inside the rails, or lashed to the foredeck, and the arms would be rotated in, or removed entirely.

I'll have to take a look at the boat show this weekend. Now that you guys have me pointed in the right direction, I'm sure there's already something out there, and probably very reasonably priced, that could be re purposed for this.
Old 28-02-2012, 06:13   #6
Marine Service Provider

Check this out. I'm picking up some tubing, a few 60 degree tees, and some U bolts, and making something semi-similar, with less parts, less potential failure points, for about a quarter of the cost.
Old 20-03-2012, 20:12   #7
Marine Service Provider

Here's my new rack, still needs some refining, though.

First I'm thinking of cutting them short and adding elbows, so they cradle the kayak a little better.

I'm also going to rotate the U-bolts, so they attach directly outside of the stanchion, which will hopefully eliminate the weight of the kayak pulling them down, as you can see in the second and third photo. If that doesn't work, I may actually find a welder to remove the rail, slide the tees over it, and re-weld it, eliminating the U-bolts entirely.

The kayak is currently secured with a piece of line, that's tied right to the mid ship cleat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kayak1.jpg
Views:	4501
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	38946   Click image for larger version

Name:	kayak2.jpg
Views:	4302
Size:	162.4 KB
ID:	38947  

Click image for larger version

Name:	kayak3.jpg
Views:	821
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	38948  
Old 02-11-2012, 17:15   #8

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I see it's been awhile, so I will breathe new life into this thread. I'm re-designing all Joli Elle's rails, Bimini and such. I also want an elegant set of carriers for my Kayak. I see Garhaur has them for a reasonable price...

Garhauer Marine Hardware -5175004
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 17:21   #9
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I got a pair of those off CL for a steal. Worked great on last summers cruise. Now I just need another pair to match for the starboard quarter rail and I'll be able to carry a matched pair of kayaks. They fold up nice when not in use.
Old 02-11-2012, 17:29   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret
I got a pair of those off CL for a steal. Worked great on last summers cruise. Now I just need another pair to match for the starboard quarter rail and I'll be able to carry a matched pair of kayaks. They fold up nice when not in use.
Glad to hear they worked well. How big are your yaks?
Old 02-11-2012, 17:35   #11

Bash...the actual dems of the racks are on the site. Basically the distance from stantion to stantion dictates the spread. I think they are good for most lengths.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 02-11-2012, 19:07   #12
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by off-the-grid View Post
Here's my new rack, still needs some refining, though.

First I'm thinking of cutting them short and adding elbows, so they cradle the kayak a little better.

I'm also going to rotate the U-bolts, so they attach directly outside of the stanchion, which will hopefully eliminate the weight of the kayak pulling them down, as you can see in the second and third photo. If that doesn't work, I may actually find a welder to remove the rail, slide the tees over it, and re-weld it, eliminating the U-bolts entirely.

The kayak is currently secured with a piece of line, that's tied right to the mid ship cleat.
I love the idea, but I have 3 questions:
  1. Snagging. What about spinnaker sheets? While under load they would be further out, but when slack it seem they could fall in between.
  2. Docking.
  3. Force on the railing bases? It seems there is some risk of loosening these.

Currently I keep a kayak on the side decks and it's annoying; when I occasionally add a second it is close to intolerable.

I should also add that blocking or using the mid-ship cleat seems a non-starter; that is used for spring lines.
Old 02-11-2012, 19:24   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
I love the idea, but I have 3 questions:
  1. Snagging. What about spinnaker sheets? While under load they would be further out, but when slack it seem they could fall in between.
  2. Docking.
  3. Force on the railing bases? It seems there is some risk of loosening these.

Currently I keep a kayak on the side decks and it's annoying; when I occasionally add a second it is close to intolerable.

-Hmmm...Never thought of the spinnaker sheet lead before...good point.
-As far as docking...on my monohull the stern starts to tapers in just past midship and probably doesn't pose a problem for me.
-As far as the base strength, the effort is quite low but I think soem thought might have to be considered for some boats.
Old 02-11-2012, 20:40   #14
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
Glad to hear they worked well. How big are your yaks?

Right now I've got an Easy Rider Cormorant. It converts to a rowing shell or sailing proa or tri. I love it, though I've found it can only be beach launched in shell mode. Fun and great exercise. It's 17' 4". I'm looking for something for the wife to go on the other quarter rail.
Old 05-09-2013, 23:16   #15
cruiser

Go to sportsracker.com. They build them. Their racks fold up when not in use, and will mount on either rail or stanchion.
Evanbar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
davits, Kayak, paracelle