Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2020, 18:47   #46

Re: Just got a free Cal 20 HELP!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
The track is for the jib car. The single small winches will be easy to find for practically nothing. When you're in Alameda, stop by Blue Pelican. They have a bunch of winches and other stuff. While you're up in the Bay area, stop by Half Moon Bay Yacht Club. They have a whole fleet of Cal 20s. Some might still be on the hard to look at right now, but they'll be going in the water soon for the season. They do all their own repairs each winter. There's also an active racing fleet on SF Bay. I recall they have a website somewhere or you could reach out to the skipper of Can-o-woopass. There's likely someone in the fleet who would take you out and tell you all you need to know.
Awesome! I love heading up 1 to half moon bay. I’ll definitely try to check out the boats up there. Blue pelican. I’ll keep that in mind. I was just looking online for these second hand marine stores. Thanks
SCMB666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 18:53   #47

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

First, you won't need all that fuel. Its a sailboat. You will sail. And it will be awesome!

I had a Cal25. Big brother to your 20, but looks very similar. I'm sure you will have no trouble assembling all your parts into a great boat.

You asked for pictures, so here's what I've got...attached below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CAL4.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	227.6 KB
ID:	209566   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAL3.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	209567  

Name:	CAL8.JPG
Views:	48
Size:	94.6 KB
ID:	209568   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAL9.JPG
Views:	41
Size:	86.2 KB
ID:	209569  

Name:	CAL2.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	209570   Click image for larger version

Name:	CAL6.JPG
Views:	46
Size:	230.1 KB
ID:	209571  

hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 19:18   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
First, you won't need all that fuel. Its a sailboat. You will sail. And it will be awesome!

I had a Cal25. Big brother to your 20, but looks very similar. I'm sure you will have no trouble assembling all your parts into a great boat.

You asked for pictures, so here's what I've got...attached below.
All the gas was assuming I don’t get her in sailing shape before our trip. I’d have no problem motoring the whole thing. Especially considering I have next to no sailing experience yet. Thanks for posting the pics. Looks like a party! So it looks like your back stay is like mine. I wasn’t sure if the lines and pulleys were a factory thing or some sort of racing deal. I think I have the standing rigging more or less figured out
Old 26-02-2020, 23:49   #49

Boat: Freedom 38

So, it's not meant to function as a powerboat, ya know? When you're offshore in swell with no sails up, you'll wish you were anywhere but on that washing machine. And it can get much worse if the motor dies on top of all that
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 07:16   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMB666 View Post
All the gas was assuming I don’t get her in sailing shape before our trip. I’d have no problem motoring the whole thing.

... yes you would

As per gamayun and others... it's a SAILboat. Designed to sail. Feels best, runs best, when sailing. The outboard is there to get in and out of harbour, and for when the wind dies.

While you're working on her, maybe take a basic dinghy-sailing course. A few lessons will get you going quickly.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 09:57   #51

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
... yes you would

As per gamayun and others... it's a SAILboat. Designed to sail. Feels best, runs best, when sailing. The outboard is there to get in and out of harbour, and for when the wind dies.
I'd rather go with no engine than no sails.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 10:07   #52

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch

...but you might want that engine for getting in and out through the Santa Cruz harbor mouth... I’ve seen some exciting days when sailboats are competing with surfers in the lineup ��
Jdeuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2020, 12:58   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
... yes you would

While you're working on her, maybe take a basic dinghy-sailing course. A few lessons will get you going quickly.
The longest trip I’ve taken by water was motoring a 30ft racer cruiser up from Puerta Vallarta to L.A with my uncle in April. Something like 1200 miles and some not so great weather at times. Never raised a sail. I didn’t find it too bad at all. But hey, everybody’s got there own opinion of what’s comfortable. I would prefer to sail the trip though. It is a sailboat.....
Old 27-02-2020, 13:00   #54

Just found this link!!!!!!! Looks like with this and google images I should be pretty set for now. Thanks a lot for the info everybody 🤙🏼

http://www.cal20pdx.net/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Rander-Cal20-Guide.pdf
Old 27-02-2020, 13:03   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeuel View Post
...but you might want that engine for getting in and out through the Santa Cruz harbor mouth... I’ve seen some exciting days when sailboats are competing with surfers in the lineup ��
I love hauling ass out of the harbor in my skiff when the waves are breaking. I’ve been completely airborne more than once. Always fun putting on a show for the tourists

Tags
cal, cal 20