Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2020, 11:26   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Just got a free Cal 20 HELP!!!

No such thing as a free boat!
Old 26-02-2020, 11:51   #32

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I have a Cal20.
Don’t need more than a 6hp. The extra 2hp in an 8hp motor will give you and extra 1/4 to 1/3kt speed and use 1/3 more fuel.
With a 6hp you will max out at about 6kt.

2yr ago I went to Catalina and back, about 180nm and used about 18gal. The motor I had then was a 1982 4.5hp 2-stroke that maxes out at about 5.0kt.
With a 4-stroke I would expect to get 10-12mpg WOT. At 5kt 15ish mpg and at 4kt 18ish mpg.

At some point I’m going to make a special fuel hose for my new motor so I can test fuel consumption at various speeds.

If you ever pass thru SD let me know, I’ll give you a ride and show you my boat.

More to post after work.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 12:57   #33

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCMB666 View Post
What is this sheet metal contraption?
I agree with boatyarddog, it’s a radar reflector. And I agree with stormalong, sure hope all the pieces are there! If they are you are in for lots of fun with that boat!
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 16:35   #34

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If anything's missing, it will show up in due course. Nice to have the Alameda source mentioned above.

This is going to be a very fun project. And, I agree, don't worry about the cosmetics of the outside of the boat in the short term. And when you do get involved with it, try some TSRW or PolyGlo BEFORE you attack the gelcoat with cutting compound or sand paper. Gelcoat's made of little bubbles close together. The PolyGlo is a 2 part thing, it will first clean the grunge out of the holes if the gelcoat has been rubbed out prior, and then, the finish coat, polymerizes over them, makes a nice finish without a whole lot of work. We did this on our old boat, needed it once a year, but it was a heck of a lot easier than doing the bottom.

Ann
Old 26-02-2020, 17:53   #35

Thanks a bunch for all the input. It seems like the common sense suggestions helped the most! Google images has been helpful. As I look through the parts and compare to pictures it’s looking like I have doubles of most things and some parts that don’t even go to this boat.

Now, it does look like some things are missing. I have no winches. I saw two little bronze winches sitting in the fellers driveway and when I asked if they went with the boat he said no. I’m thinking they did. I’m also missing the tracks that a pully runs in on either side of the cabin entrance. I’ll load a picture so that makes sense. It looks like some boats don’t run these tracks??? Any thoughts?

I’ll load up some pictures of what I’ve placed if anybody can verify this I’d be stoked.
SCMB666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 18:01   #36

The track mounts to the left of the cabin entrance. Is it obsolete because the use of the bridge?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D9318457-283D-46A3-A506-9BCC26F4D26D.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	209561  
Old 26-02-2020, 18:04   #37

This looks like a heavy duty upgrade front stay, or it goes to an other boat. ???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4D124018-D240-4536-8DDB-FE2253D450C3.jpeg
Views:	57
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	209562  
Old 26-02-2020, 18:07   #38

The track I’m talking about is to the far right directly above the rail
Old 26-02-2020, 18:08   #39

I bet those winches were old Merrimans possibly. You can find used winches of all types in marine second-hand stores. you might check with Bacon Sails for those and used sails if you need them. The tracks you mention I assume were the jib sheet tracks. It is possible to sail just fine without them if you just have one jib. There may be single blocks for those though on a Cal 20, probably not. Not sure what you mean by the bridge. Could it be the mainsheet traveller? Got some photos?

edit: ok. I see the photos now!

So I am guessing they took everything off in preparation for painting the boat? Anyway that bridge you mention is for all the lines led aft, like the halyards, topping lift, foreguy (for the spinnaker,) boom vang and maybe a downhaul.. (often in racing those lines are left to fall into the cabin) anyway not for the jib sheets. Does it have a spinnaker pole and spinnaker?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 26-02-2020, 18:11   #40

Boat: Freedom 38

The track is for the jib car. The single small winches will be easy to find for practically nothing. When you're in Alameda, stop by Blue Pelican. They have a bunch of winches and other stuff. While you're up in the Bay area, stop by Half Moon Bay Yacht Club. They have a whole fleet of Cal 20s. Some might still be on the hard to look at right now, but they'll be going in the water soon for the season. They do all their own repairs each winter. There's also an active racing fleet on SF Bay. I recall they have a website somewhere or you could reach out to the skipper of Can-o-woopass. There's likely someone in the fleet who would take you out and tell you all you need to know.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 18:13   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
I have a Cal20.
Don’t need more than a 6hp. The extra 2hp in an 8hp motor will give you and extra 1/4 to 1/3kt speed and use 1/3 more fuel.
With a 6hp you will max out at about 6kt.

2yr ago I went to Catalina and back, about 180nm and used about 18gal. The motor I had then was a 1982 4.5hp 2-stroke that maxes out at about 5.0kt.
With a 4-stroke I would expect to get 10-12mpg WOT. At 5kt 15ish mpg and at 4kt 18ish mpg.

At some point I’m going to make a special fuel hose for my new motor so I can test fuel consumption at various speeds.

If you ever pass thru SD let me know, I’ll give you a ride and show you my boat.

More to post after work.
This is some good fun info. Weather or not it get this boat in sailing condition in time, my girlfriend and I are going to spend a week or two exploring the Channel Islands. I can fit two 18 gallon fuel tanks nice and snug in the cockpit. I was figuring about 300 miles round trip. So I’m not too far off.

This boat as it sits will be waaaaayyyyy better suited for the trip than the open skiff I was originally planning on taking.
Old 26-02-2020, 18:21   #42

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
What is this sheet metal contraption?
Oooh, Oooh, I know this one. Thats a radar reflector.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 18:23   #43

Quote:
This is some good fun info. Weather or not it get this boat in sailing condition in time, my girlfriend and I are going to spend a week or two exploring the Channel Islands. I can fit two 18 gallon fuel tanks nice and snug in the cockpit. I was figuring about 300 miles round trip. So I’m not too far off.

This boat as it sits will be waaaaayyyyy better suited for the trip than the open skiff I was originally planning on taking.
36 gallons of fuel? 300 miles? Open skiff? Where are you located? And yes the Cal 20 will be fine for the islands, though a little cramped down below. With a nice boom tent it will be even more comfortable.

Oh ok, Santa Cruz. No I wouldn't recommend going to the Channel Islands if you don't have sailing experience yet. Trailer it down, sure, but sailing down, no. And I have sailed a 20 foot boat from SF to the Channel Islands. Stick around there and go to Monterey, Moss Landing, Stillwater Cove, or maybe up a ways... but stay close to home till you have it and yourself all dialed in.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Old 26-02-2020, 18:27   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
I bet those winches were old Merrimans possibly. You can find used winches of all types in marine second-hand stores. you might check with Bacon Sails for those and used sails if you need them. The tracks you mention I assume were the jib sheet tracks. It is possible to sail just fine without them if you just have one jib. There may be single blocks for those though on a Cal 20, probably not. Not sure what you mean by the bridge. Could it be the mainsheet traveller? Got some photos?

edit: ok. I see the photos now!

So I am guessing they took everything off in preparation for painting the boat? Anyway that bridge you mention is for all the lines led aft, like the halyards, topping lift, foreguy (for the spinnaker,) boom vang and maybe a downhaul.. (often in racing those lines are left to fall into the cabin) anyway not for the jib sheets. Does it have a spinnaker pole and spinnaker?
That’s good to know the tracks arent necessary. I have very little knowledge about sailing so I guess I’ll just learn to sail with out them. It has sails that best I can tell, look to be in good condition. No spinnaker or pole
Old 26-02-2020, 18:40   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
36 gallons of fuel? 300 miles? Open skiff? Where are you located? And yes the Cal 20 will be fine for the islands, though a little cramped down below. With a nice boom tent it will be even more comfortable.
Just saw your location! That’s rad. I guess your just the guy I need to talk to about that trip. Yea I was figuring in the cal 20 36 gallons plus enough reserve to get me back to Oxnard if I managed to run out or loose my tanks in some sort of accident. Is my math way off here? I figured fuel for 300 miles give or take should be safe.

I have a ply on frame skiff i built that I have way more trust in than any sane person would. She is self bailing and technically un sinkable although flounders in real bad chop. Like 3ft+ stacked on top of each other chop when it starts coming over the nose at any speed other than a craw... fun times. Anyways I was considering thanking her out to the islands.

I’m in Santa Cruz. Need to fill out my profile info still.

Oh and I for sure was planning on trailering it down.

Tags
cal, cal 20