Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2021, 14:21   #31

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran
Re: Just get a survey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
Curious, would anyone forego a survey on a brand new boat?
brand new to me means purchasing directly from the manufacturer. in such case the boat is still covered by manufacturer's warranty and all the usual consumer protection laws

in this scenario : yes, i'd forgo a survey

if you mean buying say less than 1 yo, but from a private owner : depending on value and complexity of the boat, i'd probably still get a survey

cheerds,
Old 19-04-2021, 15:44   #32

Boat: Volkscruiser

Dogscout that is exactly what they said "But its a classic, full keel, blue water boat that will take you safely and comfortably across oceans!" Which she will when re$tored. Apparently the yacht has done the Sydney to Hobart yacht race a few times, which is a good test for any yacht.
Marcjsmith, nice job on that Moody, you really cannot go to far wrong with a production boat as long as it has not had any impact damage.
As for getting a survey on a new boat, it really depends on what you call acceptable finish. I have surveyed plenty of Lagoons that I would not accept new from the factory. Bare plywood bulkheads in the bilge, roughly finished fiberglass work and mismatched veneer. Plus that whole coved in bulkheads with that green filler, I know it works but how about a bit of glass tape over it as well.
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 15:59   #33

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Seems to me that having a survey before the yacht leaves the builder's yard would be a good thing... absolutely the best time to get compliance is before the final payment is made!

Jim
Old 19-04-2021, 16:14   #34

Boat: Down East Yachts, Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
I managed to convince them that their rotten mast was not worth saving. I then found them an aluminium mast on Facebook for $700. We checked it out this morning and they purchased it. So now it's just the hull, rudder and decks that need rot/worm removal.
Cheers
Maybe point them to the Sampson Boat Co. Youtube page for inspiration. It's still the same boat if it has the same shape right?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg-...hBnDSay7nmphUA
Downeaster 38 #40
"Downeast Yachts - More sailing per mile since 1975"
Argyle38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 04:07   #35
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letterkenny View Post
Curious, would anyone forego a survey on a brand new boat?
No. We work on a lot of brand new boats. Take my word for it, No.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 04:21   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
That’s all? [emoji3]

Seriously what a bummer. This seems to be a boat that wouldn’t be worth it for free even. Are you sure they aren’t better considering this sunk costs and a costly mistake and starting anew? Or do they love boat work?
Or maybe systems and sails and engine are all good?
Another YouTube opportunity?

Does she look great in a bikini 👙?

😁
GoneDiving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 04:27   #37
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
If you think buying a boat is expensive, try doing it without a reputable survey.
If you need a surveyor to bay used boat, used car, used airplane. don't bay, buy new.If you don't know how - have the skill to repair min 50% possible work on the boat don't bay use charter boat.
complex cruising Boat is expensive to maintain and repair. and boat needs continuous maintenance.
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 05:30   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjsmith View Post
Not always. Rescued my '88 Moody that has been on the hard since 9/2012 and launched two weeks ago.
Marc!

She looks beeeouuutiful! Like a completely different boat.

(No wonder you know so much about re-bedding portlights... )

Ahhh, just in time for sailing season, too.

Fair, fair winds!
Warmly,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 05:52   #39

Boat: Moody 376

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Seems to me that having a survey before the yacht leaves the builder's yard would be a good thing.
Jim

its not uncommon for folks buying a new home to have a "home inspection" completed, same thing for buying a used home.

I think a few driving factors would be how much you trust your own eyes, hands, etc to identify weak points and also cost/value/ sales price.

buying a $1000 Catalina 22 with minimal systems, maybe not
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 06:03   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orin View Post
I’ve had surveys, and bought boats without them. If I have the time to thoroughly check everything out, I find out more or less what the surveyor finds.

Instead of saying that I would say, be well aware of your limitations and plan to cover those weaknesses some other way.
I’ll get a survey for insurance, but at this point in my life and boating experience, I trust my own surveying skills as much as I do any surveyor. But, as a newbie, I think you would be insane to drop a lot of money on a boat without one.
Old 20-04-2021, 15:26   #41

Boat: Volkscruiser

Gone Diving I have already been asked if they will do the YouTube thing. They are an attractive looking couple so I bet they would get the hits needed. So far they just want to get floating and forget the mistake they made.
The rudder and propeller shaft are finally out of the yacht today. The rudder was a bit of a drama, who knows when it was last removed?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 18:41   #42

Boat: Lidgard 47

Yep, get an in and out of water survey! And a test sail would surely have found the problem with that imaginary rudder... At least they'll have some boat fixing experience before they head out and will have an idea of spares needed etc
Old 22-04-2021, 10:47   #43

Boat: Ta Shing - Baba 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I’ll get a survey for insurance, but at this point in my life and boating experience, I trust my own surveying skills as much as I do any surveyor. But, as a newbie, I think you would be insane to drop a lot of money on a boat without one.
My first boats were dirt cheap and/or next to free. I had some experience with boating and boats by then. I can’t imagine buying a boat without having that experience. If you’re a newbie and don’t know what to look for, and it’s more money than you’re willing to throw away (including getting rid of a boat potentially) I am 110% with you. Some people are simply not inclined to understand what they’re looking at either.

The most recent boat purchase was middling 5 figures, and the surveyor paid for themselves simply with the boat valuation. That being said - of 21 noted deficiencies the 5 that I had not previously picked up on were mostly to do with current best practices rather than things I couldn’t pick up on.

The first thing I do when checking out a boat from a private party is to have the owner turn everything on. I walk around the decks and inspect the stanchions for wiggle and decks for soft spots. I stick my head in every part of the boat and look for corrosion or evidence of leaks. That sort of thing.

The problem is that with boat brokers 2 things are true - even if it’s obvious that there is a problem, the broker won’t take my word for it as far as it ‘actually needing to be fixed’ and they won’t let me turn stuff on myself or run things. Therefore a surveyor is required because the surveyor has rigid rules like “I don’t turn seacocks.” It all seems a bit silly to me, but to some degree understandable. Any good yacht broker is going to recommend a survey and explain this stuff though. Honest and truly if they said “No, we know what we’re looking at” it’s on them.
Old 23-04-2021, 07:14   #44

Y insurance company won’t insure my boat without an out of water survey by a surveyor that is certified.
Happ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2021, 09:31   #45

Wow, Just wow.

So sorry mate.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
survey