Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2019, 19:41   #1

Boat: Adams 40
Joe Adams 12m Cruiser Racer Plans

Hi All,

I have a Adams 12 Cruiser Racer (photo attached) that was built by The Trewatha Brothers in Victoria (Australia) in 1983. Records on the boat suggest that the plans were straight from the Adams Yacht Design Book. Unfortunately I've had no luck in finding that publication or plans for the Adams 12 although have found sites that do have plans for other Admas designs. Same goes for the shipwrights, a few newspaper articles but that's about it

Any assistance in locating one or both would be appreciated as I want to make some changes to the vessel but need a better understanding of the build and engineering design.

Thx Tim.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Side View.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	176.3 KB
ID:	186222  
champo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 15:52   #2

Boat: Adams 12
Re: Joe Adams 12m Cruiser Racer Plans

Hi Tim,

I too am after the same thing. I have an Adams centre cockpit 12m (39.? ft) that i've owned now for about 2 and half years. All i know is that mine was also built by Trewartha yachts (boats?) in Warnambool, Vic. (and that it spent some time in Darwin and that it was repowered in Geelong where it also spent some time. ) I would dearly love to find out more information about it's design and construction. I have only just put it back in the water after a major osmosis repair job ($$$!) ( )and have been surprised by some of the things i found, some obviously by the boat builder and some not. Some good, some not. I'd welcome a some information sharing from you regarding your own experiences with your boat and maybe we could learn a few things from each other. regards, Chris.
cjheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 19:55   #3

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Have you guys accessed this site?

https://sailboatdata.com/designer/adams-joe
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 23:20   #4

Try Graeme Radford, he has some of the old Joe Adams plans.

I looked at a few Trewartha Adams 12’s, they have a synthetic cored hull, but still manage to become fairly wet over time.
olaf hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 23:21   #5

Hi Chris, great to make contact with another Adams owner. Unfortunately, I've no good news for you. I looked at the site that was suggested and searched everywhere but still nothing on the Adams 12 and have had zero luck getting anything on Trewatha Brothers.

Fortunately, I've not had any major issues as of yet. The build quality looks to be holding really well and the also boat performs well although the cost of maintaining these older boats does mount up doesn't it. New hatches, engine servicing a bit of electrical work and there goes another couple of '000.

How did you discover the osmosis? I've good records of the boat being slipped regularly so I hope that will help?

I do have a very detailed history which documents the various races and trips she has done since being launched which is good. I suspect that the original owners were very specific when they commissioned the boat as she did a number of races to Malaysia, New Zealand and some South Pacific destinations. She's very over spec I think but that's kind of reassuring.

Love to know your motivation for buying and Adams and plans for the future. Be great to raft up some time and compare notes.

My email is tchampion001@gmail.com if you want to keep in contact.

T.
Old 28-11-2020, 19:47   #6

Hello Gents,
I'm new to this forum and am considering an Adams 12 that's for sale in Pittwater. She needs a bit of TLC but it is not beyond my ability.
Just wanted to know how you were enjoying your boats, there is not much info available on the web about the design. Are they suitable for blue water cruising? I would like to sail to FIJI in a couple of years and was wondering if this boat would be suitable or if I should look for a S&W 34 or 36.
Cheers in advance.
PinotNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 23:37   #7

Why wouldn't they be fine for sailing the pacific? Most of them probably have done so by now.
I was reading the Classified section of an old UK sailing magazine this morning and there was one for sale in England.
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2020, 02:00   #8

Boat: Stuart 47

"First Light" an Adams 12 here in Paynesville has recently returned from a long circumnavigation (of the globe). Well suited to the task with good speeds and comfortable
Toccata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 04:02   #9

Hi PinotNoir, Only just noticed your post. I owned an Adams 12 for 2 years, I sailed her in a range of conditions and was really amazed at just how capable a boat they are. My boat had sailed the South Pacific numerous times over the years both racing and cruising and I had plans to do the same. In the end, I've decided to upgrade to something a little roomier and slightly more comfortable but that's coming at a price. I have no doubt that a good Adams 12 could take well beyond Fiji, I'll keep an eye out for you.

Tags
adams, cruise, cruiser, race, racer