Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2022, 04:58   #1

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS
Jeanneau 43DS transom issue

I have a 2002 43DS with an issue with a very small leak along the joint between the hull and the structure above it at the stern. When the boat is under motor, there is a small amount water that is viasable along the joint. Has anyone found and/or repaired this problem? I pulled of a short section of the outer rubber bumper that covers the joint. There appears to be an inner rubber piece that is affixed to the joint and was probably inended to provide "insurance" against a significant amount of water coming in after a "bump" to the stern.
I'm guessing one of the (3) previous owners of the boat bumped it. If anyone has any knowledge or experince with fixing this, please let me know.

Thanks,
Rik
Sailorik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 05:10   #2

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389
Re: Jeanneau 43DS transom issue

I’d have a glass man or lady give the whole area inspection for water migration. When a leak shows up from a past hit it wasn’t repaired correctly. That seam is really well bonded. Is the weep port or starboard. Do you have a generator and the removable panel. The rubber just covers up an ugly bonding edge. The seam is connected with Epoxy and water should not every be a concern. A plastic hammer and some light hits in the area tell most the story pretty quickly.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 05:14   #3

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

If there's no obvious damage and you don't mind needing to do paint work, I'd consider just glassing the joint together inside and out. Ease of cosmetic finishing is the biggest reason boat builders don't typically do that for the hull/deck joint and instead just glue/screw/bolt/etc. it together.
rslifkin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 05:20   #4

I just realized I was thinking Sun Odyssey. The hull is identical the deck I’m not sure.
The 43 is the one without the big eyedrop windows. I’m not familiar with that model at all. It does sound like you’re going to find some soggy patch. Good glass person would re-enforce the entire stern seam and cut out a return new and saturated laminate and gel coat.
Old 21-06-2022, 05:39   #5

It’s a Jeanneau no self tapping screws holding major components. The hull is solid glass with Kevlar roving in key stress points in both the hull lay up, coach roof deck and cockpit. The layup since the early 90’s included two layers of water proof vinylester ending water migration except for hits. The hull deck components are bonded with roving and epoxy. The transom has kevlar roving in the laminate. Screw and rub rail are common in smaller power boat with silicone with shrinks out. Sad builds they are.
Old 22-06-2022, 08:02   #6

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Is it just between the hull and the bumper? Later models have a drain hole; I drilled one on my S-O 45.2 to keep it clean. No structural issue at all.
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 17:20   #7

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
It’s a Jeanneau no self tapping screws holding major components. The hull is solid glass with Kevlar roving in key stress points in both the hull lay up, coach roof deck and cockpit. The layup since the early 90’s included two layers of water proof vinylester ending water migration except for hits. The hull deck components are bonded with roving and epoxy. The transom has kevlar roving in the laminate. Screw and rub rail are common in smaller power boat with silicone with shrinks out. Sad builds they are.
Not correcting you Rumrace just being clear with what I have on my vessel.

So, if I may add, I have a 2010 SO 44i built in FR from the Jeanneau production line. the deck is screwed and glued to the hull every 12 inches (est, 50 on each side), there is a 2 inch overlap minimum glued all the way, the deck fits to the hull with a seating seam, the screws that hold the deck to the hull are seated in a teak, aluminum, or composite, toe rail.
I reseated my stanchions and backing plates last winter using white Sikaflex(10 each side), they are also holding the hull and deck components together as well as the fair leads cleats and shroud terminals, they all hold the deck to the hull. And the 5 inch square tube Galvanized steel is bolted to the deck and hull that is the pedestal for the mast, all deck fittings are backed with stainless steel backing plates and bolts that are beded in a nice fat dolip of Sikaflex 291 or 5200.

To the OP Sailor Rik
Not sure I understand where you are finding water. I do not have a bumper on my stern where the freeboard meets the angled transom.

Is this inside of the stern lazzerettes That you see water? Or the outside at the seem?
My vessel has a generator locker between the port and starboard lazzerettes, this area of the pushpit occasionally after rain it does not drain completely. when the boat first responds under power the bow like in powerboat does rise before reaching speed desired (“plaining out”), this could be forcing water to drain astern and present where you are describing the leak?

You could also have a faulty seal/small leak where the wet exhaust meets the hull if the leak in inside.
Is there enough water to taste it? Inside or out? Could it be condescension?(fresh water)
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2023, 03:41   #8

Boat: Jeanneau 43DS

I found and fixed the problem with the leaky transom. I pulled the rubber off this spring when the boat was out of the water. That revealed the boat had been hit or had hit something several times before I bought it. There were two sections where the joint was compromised. I dug out the loose material and filled the voids with epoxy with silica mixed it. I put the rubber back on with silicone and for the first time in 11 seasons, the transom is not leaking!
Sailorik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau