Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2014, 04:19   #16

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
Re: Jabsco Joker Valve

I just changed out the joker valve. If you look at the end of the valve where the three splines come together at the center, two of my splines are bent in a slight arc fashion in a counter clockwise direction as they go out from where the three meet. They don't go straight out from the center of the valve as they should. I last changed the valve on April 18th so this one was good for about 6 weeks. Not a good testament to their quality.
I took a look in the plastic fitting the valve goes in and saw just a bit of calcium[I think} deposits on the side. Not much and certainly not enough to cause the bend in the ends of the valve. I scraped out all the bits of what ever it was and installed the new valve. Sure hope this one lasts a bit longer but I also believe in the Easter Bunny.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 01:51   #17

I changed out the joker valve when we first entered the marina in early June. Now during emergencies, I will still use it but it goes into a tank for later disposal. With that being said, I've probably used it 6 times in the last 3.5 months and yet two days ago, the Joker Valve failed again allowing "stuff" to flow back into the bowl again. This time, I changed it out with a valve from Raritan. We'll see how long it lasts. The head in the stern is over 4 years and still doing fine. I've got several more Jabsco valves in storage but why put one in if I'm just going to rip it out a few weeks or month later. Now the test begins--Raritan versus Jabsco-- one joker versus another joker.
Old 12-09-2014, 07:52   #18

Boat: Beneteau 423

After a few years of replacing only the joker valve, last year I our replaced older Jabsco pumps with the current design that incorporates the locking handle. Things were pretty good until last week. Even with the handle in the locked position, we started getting back flow of black water, though not every time. In the past with a deteriorating joker valve, once it started leaking it only got worse. It seems that the source of our problem is from trying to be too gentle at night in an attempt to not wake everyone else up when pumping. These were slow, "quiet" strokes at night. Once we pumped in a normal manner and locked the handle in place, no back flow. So now I am happily woken up by the flushing sound, knowing that it is helping to keep the black water back flow at bay.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 08:10   #19

I've pumped hard. I've pumped slow. I've added oil as well as vinegar and still these joker valves hate me. BUT, only sometimes. Sometimes it stay out and sometimes it comes back to visit. Sometimes, if it comes back, I'll pump it back out and it stays out! There is a conspiracy here somewhere--I just know it. The Raritan in the stern head works just fine every time(God bless it). I even plumbed the Jabsco so it uses fresh water and still it hates me!!! For the valve to fail after just a few uses is NUTS! Now that I've installed a Raritan valve, we will see how long it lasts. Don't figure it can be any worse that what I experience now. Can it?
Old 12-09-2014, 08:27   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

There is something wrong with your system. Jabsco joker valves last a lot longer than what you're getting. Why don't you call Jabsco and talk it over with them? You should also upgrade to a Twist n Lock pump. Your toilet has got to be ten years old or more if it isn't a twist n lock.
Jabsco Toilet Pump - 29040-3000

Are you drawing your fresh water from a dedicated toilet water tank? If not your drinking water is only separated from sewage by a single o-ring in the toilet.
Old 12-09-2014, 08:34   #21

I've tried to contact Jabsco with no success. What can be wrong with the system? Use the head, flip the switch to the right and pump what you put in out. Flip the switch to the left and pump in fresh water--lots of it and just keep pumping. If I listen, I can hear it going into the tank just forward of the bulkhead so I know the hose isn't blocked.Undo two screws, pull out the old valve and put in a new one. Put the two screws in and voila, you are done. I've taken the pump assembly apart and changed the "O" ring in it's assembly as well and still I get visited by things I'd prefer not to see a second time. It's a simple system. The Raritan has more parts in it and it works perfectly--every time.
Heck, I don't even put the screw driver I use to undo the flange that holds the valve to my tool box I've used it so many times. Haven't started dreaming of it yet but know it's coming.I did install a one way valve in the water line to make sure nothing goes where it shouldn't.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:22   #22
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

^^ These comments assume that you are using a conection from the potable water system into a manual toilet. If otherwise, disregard and my apologies.

A one-way valve (check valve) will NOT prevent bacteria from growing and swiming past the gap and into you freshwater tank. There is a reason water closets have an air gap and other designs use proper back flow preventers.

Do NOT use the fresh water tank for any purpose until this line is disconected. Serious health code violation.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:45   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here are some really good Jabsco service videos.
www.JabscoTech.com

I emailed my friend Rena in Jabsco customer service about your problem getting help. Following is her reply.

Hi Parks,
I’m shocked to hear that because we have tech here all the time.

Please have him call Paul Campagna at 978-282-5246 or email him. I’ve copied him on the email.

Thank you and have a great weekend.

Rena'
Old 12-09-2014, 12:01   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There are three things that can cause this that I know of and so far you haven't really ruled out any of them.

The tank is full. You say you smell sewage outside the boat. That can be a sign of a full tank.

The vent is blocked or partially blocked. The only way to rule this out is to pull the hose and check the hose, the vent fitting and the vent connection on the tank.

The discharge hose is partially blocked. My personal favorite. Vinegar and oil in a toilet is a waste of good salad dressing. Look at this, then replace the hose.
Vinegar In The Head..? Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

Is your toilet connected to your potable water tank? As Thinwater points out, this is very dangerous. It can kill you.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:13   #25
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
There are three things that can cause this that I know of and so far you haven't really ruled out any of them.

The tank is full. You say you smell sewage outside the boat. That can be a sign of a full tank.

The vent is blocked or partially blocked. The only way to rule this out is to pull the hose and check the hose, the vent fitting and the vent connection on the tank.

The discharge hose is partially blocked. My personal favorite. Vinegar and oil in a toilet is a waste of good salad dressing. Look at this, then replace the hose.
Vinegar In The Head..? Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

Is your toilet connected to your potable water tank? As Thinwater points out, this is very dangerous. It can kill you.

Not only is vinegar a waste of time, but probably any other acid unless you filled the hose etc. I threw a joker valve with just a little scale on it into a bowl CLR scale remover and an hour later it did nothing.

Now if you added the vinegar/acid to the head EACH time you used it and lowered the pH to less than 7 I bet it would prevent scaling.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:55   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Paul at Jabsco just called me and we discussed the problem. He added one more thing that could cause the problem. He said that if the discharge hose goes higher than the toilet, the back pressure can be enough to push sewage back past the joker valve. The (not so great) solution is to put a check valve just after the joker valve. The correct solution is to always run sewage down hill, but this isn't always an option.
29295-1010 1 1/2" (38mm) ID Hose
Old 12-09-2014, 13:01   #27

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"Now if you added the vinegar/acid to the head EACH time you used it and lowered the pH to less than 7 I bet it would prevent scaling. "

I've wondered about that as well, but I almost always add uric acid to the flush anyway.
Old 12-09-2014, 13:08   #28

I always assumed you'd want some upward hose routing in order to have a small amount of line pressure(weight) against the joker valve to hold it closed?

Mine goes up approx 2' above the toilet base then into the holding tank. Electric toilet but still same joker valve, and never any issue, 5 yrs now.

Harsh bowl cleaning chemicals?
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 13:19   #29
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
well, but I almost always add uric acid to the flush anyway.

If you add enough to drop the head water pH to below 7 all the time it is time to revise your diet.
Old 12-09-2014, 13:48   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"I always assumed you'd want some upward hose routing in order to have a small amount of line pressure(weight) against the joker valve to hold it closed?"

It doesn't need to be closed if there is nothing pressing against it. In your case where the vertical is only two feet, it seems to work.

Paul at Jabsco used the example of Beneteau boats where there is a four foot vertical in the discharge hose. He says they have a lot of problems.

"Harsh bowl cleaning chemicals? "
Good suggestion. It could be the problem.

"....it is time to revise your diet."
Have you been talking to my wife?

Tags
jabsco