Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2019, 17:12   #1

Jabsco 37038 Solenoid vent leak

I have an electric freshwater head that uses a Jabsco solenoid in the system.

Everytime the head is flushed freshwater drips from the vent on the solenoid. Is this normal? How much is normal?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	37038.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	193915  
crayiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 17:39   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Jabsco 37038 Solenoid vent leak

There should be no water leak, mine, a Raritan doesn’t leak anyway
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2019, 17:47   #3

My thought as well but I noticed it today and the manual says it may leak. It's really a strange thing. The fittings have o-rings and just clip in with a little slide lock. I may just try to replace the o-rings or the entire assembly if I can find one.
Old 14-06-2019, 17:51   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

By vent I have to assume it’s like say a water pump">raw water pump, one seal goes bad and water leaks from the seal vent, it’s there to give the water a place to go, but it’s not supposed to leak I wouldn’t think.

If it’s just a 12V water valve solenoid, you could replace it with a Raritan one, we are full time and have had ours for I think three years now, and no leaks.
Old 14-06-2019, 17:52   #5

Yeah, possibly. It's just such a simple device I would think I could have seen the issue.
Old 15-06-2019, 03:15   #6

This morning the toilet wouldn't fill at all so I tapped around on the solenoid/valve, pressurized/depressurized the water supply, then it started filling again (but still leaks out the vent)

The "vent" is actually a vacuum break with a piston that gets pushed against the vent hole when the solenoid opens allowing water pressure to enter the valve. Then, when the solenoid closes, the vacuum pulls the plunger in allowing the water in the line to continue flowing to the toilet.

That plunger (piston?) Doesn't want to move without a lot of prying so, my guess is that's the issue. I'm going to wait until I can make sure I can find a new valve on the island before I dig into it any more.
Old 15-06-2019, 06:01   #7

Okay, to close the loop on this in case someone searches for this issue later.

I replaced the solenoid/valve assembly and now everything works.

After looking at the old one, I found the "vent valve" (I don't know what it's actually called) stuck in the chamber. I had to use plyers to remove it.

With the new one, when I pulled this out it came out easy and as one piece. The old one pulled out of the cap when I removed it.

It's so tight in the valve that I would have to force it in to seat than it abviously won't move back and forth with pressure and vacuum.

It seems like the white plastic on the valve may have expanded but I'm not sure. I'm also not sure if there is supposed to be some type of lubricant on it.

Anyway, the symptoms began with the bowel not filling when the toilet was flushed then it would flush but the vacuum break valve would leak.

Replacing the unit fixed the issue but it may just needed the vacuum (anti siphon) valve repaired.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20190615_084756.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	435.6 KB
ID:	193939   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190615_084809.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	433.2 KB
ID:	193940  

Name:	IMG_20190615_084827.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	426.8 KB
ID:	193941  
Old 15-06-2019, 06:47   #8
Marine Service Provider

Jabsco solenoid valves are known to have a fairly short lifespan--typically only a couple of years. There is no replacement for JUST the valve, only the whole thing. Raritan also makes one...a bit more expensive, but a LOT more durable....price is comparable to Jabsco Raritan Vented Loop w/Solenoid

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2019, 07:37   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Jabsco 37038 Solenoid vent leak

Peggie
Why would one not just fit the $30 Raritan solenoid, and also the vented loop that goes onto the back of the bowl? I’ve not priced the vented loop, but it is surely not an expensive item?
Old 15-06-2019, 07:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Jabsco solenoid valves are known to have a fairly short lifespan--typically only a couple of years. There is no replacement for JUST the valve, only the whole thing. Raritan also makes one...a bit more expensive, but a LOT more durable....price is comparable to Jabsco Raritan Vented Loop w/Solenoid

--Peggie

Thanks for that input Peggie. Even the brand new solenoid has moisture around the vent. I guess I was hoping it would be home dry but that's why the manual says to place it somewhere that can get drops of water in it.
Old 20-12-2023, 03:33   #11

Sorry for waking up this topic but I've ran on this issue.

It seems the vent valve accumulates chalky deposits which avoid it to seals properly when closed. I've noticed only when a lot of water was on the bilge already. Hopefully It was on the marina and I was using sweet water (this flush can use salty water as well but I only switch that circuit on when at anchor).

It happened the same with the solenoid valve itself 1 year ago or so. This one almost caused a flood to other rooms of the boat as when I've noticed the head bowl was full and the shower area was already getting full as well).

After a good clean, the solenoid valve is working since then without any issues.

The vent valve it's harder to clean as it's a sealed piece, anyway I've blown strong through the vent (which made some grains get immediately blown out) and let it stay for a few minutes inside a cup with some anti-calcification products. Seems to work now but don't trust it that much as I can't inspect the rubber (and spring?) inside the sealled compartment.

I found it to looks a lot like a gas tank vent check valve for some jet skis with a external rubber seal. I've ordered one and I'll post a feed back as soon as I get it.

My vent valve:

The one I've ordered:

It seems I made a pretty good saving with this 2 services to the Jabsco solenoid valve. A OEM replace is ridiculously expensive in Europe:
psousa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jabsco