Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-07-2010, 15:09   #1

Boat: Medusa 25
Is this True ?

I heard this down at the maarina today as I was getting ready to paint my hull...."international brightside is not as hard wearing as a two-pack" ie the fenders will wear the paint away quicker than it would with international brightside as I was going to use this would I be better going for the two-pack? Thanks in advance
tillybobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 15:18   #2

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Perfection is much more durable than Brightside. All two-packs must be applied to bare glass or two part primers. They can not be applied to any surface that already has single part paint...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 15:36   #3

Two parts like sterling are much tougher. Brightsides wears quicker but is much easier to apply and much more forgiving. Not to knock you or pre-judge, but honestly if you're asking the question I'd stick with brightsides and move up to two parts like sterling over time.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 15:51   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
Perfection is much more durable than Brightside. All two-packs must be applied to bare glass or two part primers. They can not be applied to any surface that already has single part paint...

Hi Thanks for reply I will look into Perfection I didnt think it would make that much difference.
Old 23-07-2010, 15:56   #5

Boat: a sailing boat
IMHO nothing beats a two part poly. My own best gelco but once gone it is time for a two-part.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 15:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
Two parts like sterling are much tougher. Brightsides wears quicker but is much easier to apply and much more forgiving. Not to knock you or pre-judge, but honestly if you're asking the question I'd stick with brightsides and move up to two parts like sterling over time.

No I don't mind being knocked or prejudged after all I did ask a silly question. I think I will start off with brightside and then move to two pak over time
Old 23-07-2010, 15:58   #7

If want that shiny wet look, and the nervous attitude that accompanies it, and the huge expense, go with the two-part. Not done perfectly it will peel off in sheets.

I'd use Brightsides on anything but a 'show' boat. You can paint her 6 times with Brightsides for the work and cost of the two-part. And repairs are trivial.

No it won't last as long at the fenders. Avoid fenders at the dock. Hold her away with lines if you can.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 16:12   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
If want that shiny wet look, and the nervous attitude that accompanies it, and the huge expense, go with the two-part. Not done perfectly it will peel off in sheets.

I'd use Brightsides on anything but a 'show' boat. You can paint her 6 times with Brightsides for the work and cost of the two-part. And repairs are trivial.

No it won't last as long at the fenders. Avoid fenders at the dock. Hold her away with lines if you can.

Hi you are right. I could get someone to spray 2pak on hopefully for a good finish but as you say repairs would be difficult but fenders are unaviodable where it is at the moment as it will be moored in a canal maybe with other boats alongside
Old 23-07-2010, 18:47   #9

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
Here's a starter if you'd like to learn more about Perfection:
Be advised; the paint doesn't cover ANY imperfections...the hull must be smooth as a babies you-know-what!

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2010, 18:59   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Good advice!

And if you can't hold her away with lines, use at least twice as many fenders as you need.
Old 23-07-2010, 19:42   #11
PAR

Boat: 1960 Chris Craft, 1957 Clyde, 1961 Atkins, 1986 Macgregor 65, plus three of my own design and build
Send a message via Skype™ to PAR
LPU's cost on average 3 times as much as modified alkyds like Brightside. A gallon of Brightside is about $100 retail, while AwlGrip will run $270 to $330 retail depending on color, while other brands, like Sterling can $310 - $350.

Yep, the LPU's are more scratch resistant, harder, have higher gloss retention, etc., but you have to pay for it. Additionally, LPU's are not especially user friendly for the novice painter. So, if you've got some experience with converters, wetting agents, accelerators and the like, typical of two part linear polyurethanes, then go for the good stuff. If this seems a bit overwhelming, then stick with plain old alkyd paint, where all you need is some spirits and possibly Penatrol to "flow" things out. In all honesty, recent advances in modified alkyds have made them very good. They flow out great, you can roll and tip to nearly a spray like finish, they're harder and more durable then ever and they can be buffed to nearly LPU standards, all at 1/3 the cost of an LPU.
PAR is offline   Reply With Quote