Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2021, 06:48   #46

Boat: Grand Banks 46
Re: Is this the difference between Cetol and varnish?

I too have used Cetol for years. And very successfully

Successfully? I have stood by while people marveled at the bright work on my boat, while at the same time loudly proclaiming how that varnish work you did is sure better than that Cetol crap. (not knowing in fact that it is Cetol they are raving about).

Although years ago it may have been, Cetol is not "orange".

And with varnish, like most else, there are many different types and qualities of varnish. And no "best", like Epifanes has been apparently described.

It's all in the prep and application. You get back what you put into it. You do meticulous and thorough work, you get a spectacular result.

Cetol may have initially gotten a bad rap because people used it as a quick and dirty alternative to varnish. And again, you get back what you put in.

I like it - it has been 'successful' for me, because I've found it easier to apply and last longer than varnish. And, applied with the same care as a quality varnish job, hard to tell the difference.

And I would never ever use any kind of epoxy coating over wood. Very simply - wood moves, epoxy doesn't.
jdecris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 09:43   #47

Boat: Beneteau 473

After reading all these posts I am more than surprised that "the trick" to building grain free coats very quickly is not mentioned. The photo the OP supplied showing the grain not being filled could have been nearly grain free by this point if he knew this simple trick -- and it is a simple one.

On large flat surfaces, like the OP's table, when you apply your first coats of varnish you want them to be "fill coats", so you ALWAYS apply your varnish across the grain NOT with the grain. Several coats of varnish across the grain will fill the grain much faster. If you don't do this then what the brush is doing is actually sweeping the varnish out of the low areas of the grain you are trying to fill.

It has been my experience this simple technique fills the grain faster than any other method.
Wireless1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 11:38   #48
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCrab View Post
I've used a lot of Cetol over the years. I would say that the finish isn't as shiny as varnish, but is more pliable and durable. I like the orange effect, but if you get too many layers on or put down too thick of layers, it can get muddy looking. Cetol is very easy to apply.
I agree Cetol is more pliable. But I disagree that it's more durable. I've found the finish on the corners of my cockpit coaming wears down easily. Varnished handrails inside the boat have lasted for years.

Also, a cormorant crapped on one of our caprails and the Cetol just peeled off underneath the goo.

I use varnish inside the boat, I like Cetol outside, it's easy to repair and sand off for a new coat.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 12:38   #49

Boat: 45' SV

Hi everyone - thank you all again for the amazing insights and tips. I'm happy to report that the small piece (image shown in the first post of this thread) now looks almost like GLASS. Sanding (320) between the last couple of Cetol Marine Gloss coats made a BIG difference. I always thought the sanding (with varnish at least) was to increase adhesion between the layers... In this case it leveled out the bumpiness caused by inconsistent penetration in the early coats. Dramatic improvement to the appearance. I took note of the suggests to pre-treat and also to brush across the grain initially. All very interesting to me (as a novice varnisher).

Note that I said 'almost'. I'm seeing some dust particles and that's ok. But I'm also seeing what I think are tiny pin-sized voids that may be from popped bubbles? You have to shine it under the right angle of light to see it. Really - I think I'm fine with these almost insignificant imperfections. But I wonder... could this be from the sponge brushes I'm using (yes I know a shortcut). Is this why good brushes are better?

Also - regarding the photo below. Moving on to the larger pieces of this exterior cockpit table. I sanded a LOT there are variations in color on the teak - and you can see the spots where I must have sanded a bit more. Note the photo makes it look worse than it really is. Do I need to keep grinding down to make everything completely uniform? Or will the Cetol blend that all out. Any thoughts?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-1722.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	412.7 KB
ID:	230890
Downeaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 13:30   #50

Use some wood bleach after stripping is complete & before 1st coat.
On the finished product wet sand the finish 1st with 1000 paper then 2000 paper to create a "french polish". Any dust nubs will be gone.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 13:42   #51

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

This happens with varnish too, until you fill all the holes and get enough coats. Light sanding between coats helps to level it out.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 15:43   #52

Has anyone used linseed oil on wood and then add the clear coat on top?
I been using linseed oil on knife handles and anything wood for the outdoors and it worked great.
Will it work on the boat? what would be pros and cons on the boat?
fireant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 17:11   #53

Boat: Bayliner Buccaneer 295

"It looks great from afar"..... That's it for 98% of the dock walkers that will view your work.....! You can build up cetal layers without sanding between coats. If you thin it out it will be cloudy looking. Do some sanding and good cleaning before some clear coats and your done.
BULLITT1829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 17:36   #54

Boat: Chris Craft 33 Express

Iím a big fan of Interlux Perfection Plus, itís a two part varnish.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	40CD02E3-E154-41CD-A6B7-4E05CFADCC23.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	422.8 KB
ID:	230907  
BugabooBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 18:39   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by BugabooBlue View Post
Iím a big fan of Interlux Perfection Plus, itís a two part varnish.

What a great head...and the table looks great in that spot.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 18:47   #56

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

As a perfection plus example, this was my pulpit after sanding to bare teak, cleaning with thinner and adding 6 coats. No bleach or stain or anything.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20200415_194154.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	440.7 KB
ID:	230916   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200409_172508.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	435.8 KB
ID:	230917  

Name:	IMG_20200409_172504.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	426.9 KB
ID:	230918  
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 19:15   #57

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I've found that the very tiny bubble like imperfections are actually floating dust. At first I thought it was moisture of some sort, then I thought it was the type of thinner used, and finally I think I determined it was dust particles in the air. This happens in my basement on a regular basis, every coat varnished, and in the boat yard when there is a wind or pollen being blown. Inside the boat it happens when the hatches are open and there is wind.

I would be interested in other's observations.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 21:20   #58

Boat: Tartan 28

Are you rubbing very hard with the "tack" cloth? Those yellow home depot ones will doo that if you run hard they leave a waxy substances behind and your liquid pools a bit causing the "orange peel" look
Carlox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 21:58   #59

Boat: Taswell 43

While not as "glossy" as varnish or Cetol, there are other alternatives you may want to consider. Out Taswell 43 has a teak deck, caprails, hand rails, etc. And to protect the Teak from the high sun we had in Asia (10*-15*N) we used a product called Deks Ole. It was a soft finish, very easy to apply, and very easy to reapply and/or fix bad spots...and it looked good. When we left Asia and sailed the Medd, we could not find it anywhere, so we switched to Semco. It, too, is a soft finish, and very easy to apply and reapply. And now, sailing the Caribb, it's all we use on the exterior teak. It protects the wood, is very simple and easy to apply, and looks good. And it is not slippery on the deck. From our experience, varnish is best....but with a high sun-it's a lot of work, year after year! Deks Ole and/or Semco protect the wood, look really good (but not glossy!), and are super easy to use. Personally....I'd rather be sailing than sanding. FWIW.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-01-2021, 03:10   #60

Boat: Vagabond 47

> Deks Ole

Here in the UK, it's called Deks Olje and is an Owatrol product. D1 is a penetrating ol and D2 a gloss coating to go over D1. I see they also offer a Teak Olje https://www.owatroldirect.co.uk/woodcare/wood-oil/

Maybe Owatrol have a presence in your market?

Also there are many variants of Cetol here, most for building work. The boat one is sold by International as Woodskin, and is what we have used on my Vagabond 47's teak.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ol1zg8vp72...after.jpg?dl=0
jezza1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, varnish