Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2019, 17:17   #46

Boat: 40 ft Van Dine Custom Gaffed rigged Schooner
Re: Is this a reasonable price to paint a hull?

Interesting. That is who gave me the price and is where Iím berthed. To top off my frustrations it took them 7 weeks to give me the price! It is a first class marina aesthetically but is poorly run and Iíve been disappointed and surprised by how it is managed.

Tatheelrod22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2019, 15:18   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1978 Alberg 30

I am a licensed AwlGrip painter and have been painting boats and airplanes for over 10 years. What most people donít realize it that 99%of the labour is the prep. I just painted a brand
New Beni 54 that hasnít even touched the water. From the truck into the booth. 80 hours in prep just for primer. Then another 35 in final sanding the primer. The paint application only took 13 hours for two colour. A boat with zero water hours and just out of a mould took 128 hours of labour to paint. When a boat owner says itís in great shape and the prep will be easy we donít even want those jobs.

fkittson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 00:15   #48

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Yes the quote should breakdown every detail of the work they will do.
For that price the hull, deck, bulwarks,cockpit, mast, boom, and bottom should be included.
If the topsides are in good condition, a simple repaint would need minimal prep work, not even a primer coat. Iím assuming itís not a planked Hull, which they would likely take to bare wood, build several primer coats and thousands of hrs of unnecessary detail work.
I used to paint big charter boats for a living with Imron and Awlgrip. The question Iíd first ask is how far away do you want it to look perfect?
This yards answer would be ďunder a microscope ď. Shop around, discuss the process.

SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, paint, price