Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2011, 05:20   #1

Post Is the Double-Skin Sadler a Good Construction ?

Hi, I am looking to buy a Sadler 29 or 32 and whilst I understand the advantages of unsinkability & insulation I am concerned about osmosis developing within the sandwich if water does penetrate and the general downsides. Any advice would be great.
John Tonks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:43   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: is the double skin Sadler a good construction

John, two side effects are reduced condensation because the insulation value and a reduction in noise. Given your location less condensation will be an important benefit. The key issue is the foam wet? and that is for your surveyor to check for you. Nice boats

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 05:54   #3

Thanks for that Pete. Haven't bought one yet. So does the ventilation value reduce condensation in the sandwich, or more importantly does water always penetrate. You can tell I'm clueless.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:14   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

John, because you have an inner and outer GRP moulding with foam in between you have a great insulation against the cold and condensation forming.

Now in the winter, Spring and Autumn a single layer hull forms condensation on the inside if there is a temperature difference, particularly in the UK. Just like the kitchen windows at home steam up when the wifey is cooking and its cold outside. This condensation forms from people inside the yacht, cooking because gas cookers give off water vapour and general damp from living in a soggy country. The answer on a yacht is ventilation, then more ventilation and did I say ventilation. However, how do you heat a yacht and ventilate at the same time?

So back to the Sadler, the two GRP mouldings with foam in between reduce this right down. You will still get condensation on hatches etc. If it has heating installed then that will be so much more efficient too. Down side is a small loss of interior spaces and a risk of water being trapped inside through damage or leaking underwater fitting, hence survey.

Final advantage is a stiffer, stronger and presumably lighter hull.

Our Moody has an inner moulding too (but no foam) which does help stop the warm air inside from reaching the inside of the cold outer moulding and then forming condensation. We also have lots of ventilation so keeps bedding, matresses clothes etc dry and reduces the risk of mildew and the yachtie smell that follows in a damp boat.

But, if water does get in to the foam you have a problem getting the foam out which is one reason why it isn't used now, plus the extra cost of course.

Pete
Old 07-08-2011, 08:31   #5

Re: Is the Double-Skin Sadler a Good Construction ?

Hi Pete,

Thanks very much for the info. Now I know why they don't make saddlers any more. I shall look for a different boat with similar ratios.

John
Old 08-08-2011, 01:46   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

John, I wouldn't right off the Sadler but it would need a careful survey. Atoll on here lives in Falmouth and has far more sea miles than me, would be a useful point of contact for a good surveyor if you need one locally.

The other options are something like a Sigma either OOD (likely to have been raced) or the cruiser version both within your budget.

Or how about this at a bargin price:

1977 Moody 33 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Slightly older but good quality and can be made to sail like a witch. Several crossed the Atlantic and will have a secure safe feel about her. At that price leaves some room in the budget for updating stuff.

Newer one more local to you which might be worth a peek.

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...oat_id=2377986

Pete
Old 08-08-2011, 02:24   #7

Hi Pete

Great, thanks for that. Will contact Atoll and carry one researching. Again thanks.

John