Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2018, 13:46   #1

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458
into storage.

After ten years of actively cruising, we are finally going to put our boat on the hard for about 6 months and aren't sure on what exactly to do. If one of us leaves, one is still on board but this time, we are both going home at the same time.
Suggestions of how to leave the systems on my boat. Do I leave it with the battery charger on since I have no solar panels? Tanks full(water and fuel).
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Don't want to come back to a dead boat.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 14:06   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: into storage.

Where are you leaving it? Climate is relevant.

Re your specific questions.

Battery charger: I dont like leaving them, or anything else, connected to shore power because it is a source of power surges, lightening, etc. What type of batteries?

Water Tanks. Empty, maybe some propolyene glycol in the system to discourage biological growth.

Diesel Tanks. Full to reduce condensation. Treat with BioBor or similar product to discourage biological growth.

What other systems do you have aboard (electronics, water maker, engines, outboard...all have storage procedures)?

What galley supplies do you plan to leave aboard (dry goods, spices...)?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 14:25   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

If the boat drains the mast into a sump, you will want to leave the bilge pump for that sump turned on, and the through hull open so that it can pump out when it rains. I am really not competent to comment on leaving it plugged in, but pump failure can mean an unpleasant return. With out boat, we use solar panels to keep the batteries full while we're away. Even a small, temporary one, should do it for you if you're leaving it in a sunny place.

Failure to do that will lead to a flood below, and the odor of stagnant water on arrival, if there is heavy enough rain. [We were gone only for 2 weeks. ...So many mistakes to make, so little time. ]

Ann
Old 24-04-2018, 15:39   #4

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
If the boat drains the mast into a sump, you will want to leave the bilge pump for that sump turned on, and the through hull open so that it can pump out when it rains. I am really not competent to comment on leaving it plugged in, but pump failure can mean an unpleasant return. With out boat, we use solar panels to keep the batteries full while we're away. Even a small, temporary one, should do it for you if you're leaving it in a sunny place.

Failure to do that will lead to a flood below, and the odor of stagnant water on arrival, if there is heavy enough rain. [We were gone only for 2 weeks. ...So many mistakes to make, so little time. ]

Ann
Yes, sinking on the hard can a problem during rainy season in some places...as can be rain water leaks that start magically on their own while on the hard.

Sturdy tarps can help minimize leaks that develop. As can stowing bedding etc out from under hatches.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 16:43   #5
Marine Service Provider

If worried about rain I would suggest taking A hose off the lowest through hull possible and leave that through hull open there for the water can Only get as high as the through hull.
svninkasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 07:12   #6

Boat: Shin Fa 458 Custom Cutter but looks like a Liberty 458

We will be hauling out at Puerto Penasco at the top of the Sea of Cortez in mid June. Dry and hot. Not much rain to worry about other than the occasional hurricane that migh come through but rare up there which I should why we chose it.
As for electronics, chart plotter, auto pilot, wind(will be removed for service at the mast), depth, etc. numerous computers will be removed. Since we had rE teak deck removed, no leaks so far.
Food stuff is being eaten at an alarming rate (waistline in every tells me so).
Some say to leave water tanks full, other empty.
Fuel should always be kept as full as possible(the norm).
Any more suggestions.
mestrezat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2018, 07:30   #7

Boat: Cal 33-2

I would be concerned about leaving a charger on that long unattended. Either get a small solar panel and controller to keep them topped off or fully charge them and disconnect the cables.
Old 25-04-2018, 08:41   #8

Boat: Oday Mariner 19 , Four Winns Marquis 16 OB, Kingfisher III
Send a message via Skype™ to Colin A

I like to add a Garboard drain for this reason much easier to charge the batteries to full disconnect everything and go then worrying about systems while your gone. When I worked in a boatyard I saw numerous land sinkers almost always sailboats.

My favorite was a Lancer 30 they owner had refit (new diesel all new system etc.) he was called away to work overseas and left on the hard. Ended up being gone a little over a year. He left the deck fitting for the holding tank pump out open when he left (I gather he had poured some antifreeze down it) the plastic tank filled with water froze and split open. When he got back to the boat it ended up having 18" of water in the cabin. Not pleasant smelling water either.

Tags
storage