Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2020, 15:06   #196

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: Interior refit 1970's kit sailboat questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
PS- I have seen episodes of Sailing Uma and have had a quick conversation with them via email. I have also seen episodes and emailed MJ Sailing. Both were helpful with their email replies even though I am not a Patreon. If I had to have a short list they'd both make the cut.

Does MJSailing have interesting stuff on fitout do too?
Old 07-12-2020, 16:02   #197

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Does MJSailing have interesting stuff on fitout do too?

They just sold their second (?) monohull, a custom aluminum hull they found and did an extensive refit to a few years ago. Now they have a catamaran kit on order and so will be building/fitting that out for a while. Matt posts as 'funjohnson' here, good stuff when he does. Maybe we'll get more posts while they are on the hard.
Old 07-12-2020, 16:34   #198

Quote:
Ooooh... NZ timber.! Now I am jealous. I do have a little bit of “Tasmanian Oak” for my fiddles and various trims, but apparently that’s a generic name for some kind of gum tree, so I don’t actually know what it is or where it came from.

When I was replacing the decks I needed 28 sheets of 16 mm ply. The best price by far was from a place in Melbourne, 700 km away.

As luck would have it, I was due a visit to the family in Melbourne, so I drove my van over to visit them, and came back with a full load. Driving the van over empty was, frankly, terrifying, but it was lovely coming back with half a ton of plywood holding it to the road.

The savings on the ply paid for the fuel for the trip three or four times over.

Matt

Nice. It's been years since I have had a van or truck for materials, just using a small trailer behind a SUV these days. The lumber yard is only 15km from home and in the same town as work so re-supply is not an issue. Good fiber glassing supplies are a long drive or online/mail-order.
28 sheets? Yikes! I'd take 6 for the boat and the rest for a boat house.
Old 07-12-2020, 17:02   #199

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Nice. It's been years since I have had a van or truck for materials, just using a small trailer behind a SUV these days. The lumber yard is only 15km from home and in the same town as work so re-supply is not an issue. Good fiber glassing supplies are a long drive or online/mail-order.
My Triton 1 ton cab/chassis is the best M/V investment I've ever made. No trouble carrying a sheet of ply, a 3.5m length of pipe for emergency steering, tonnes of lead for ballast........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Triton front.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	444.4 KB
ID:	228267  
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2020, 17:02   #200

Interior refit 1970's kit sailboat questions

Quote:

Sadly I have sold the van, but I do think my days of bringing home full size plywood sheets are done.

Yeah, the 28 sheets for the deck were one of the reasons I didn’t use marine ply. That and the fact that the original deck was structural ply and it lasted 40 years.

I’m guessing a bit, but I’d say there have been another eight sheets of 19 mm, ten sheets of 15 mm and three sheets of 12 mm for the interior.

Oh yeah, and 150 kg of epoxy. (Also bought online like yourself.)

So much for my savings.
Old 07-12-2020, 17:12   #201

Quote:
Sadly I have sold the van, but I do think my days of bringing home full size plywood sheets are done.

Yeah, the 28 sheets for the deck were one of the reasons I didn’t use marine ply. That and the fact that the original deck was structural ply and it lasted 40 years.

I’m guessing a bit, but I’d say there have been another eight sheets of 19 mm, ten sheets of 15 mm and three sheets of 12 mm for the interior.

Oh yeah, and 150 kg of epoxy. (Also bought online like yourself.)

So much for my savings.

Being at Lancelin (150km North of Perth) I buy everything I can online:

All sorts of fastenings, electrical cable and components, batteries, resin/glass, abrasives, drills, cutting discs, permanent markers.......

It saves so much time and I keep klms off the clock
Old 07-12-2020, 18:40   #202

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Being at Lancelin (150km North of Perth) I buy everything I can online:

All sorts of fastenings, electrical cable and components, batteries, resin/glass, abrasives, drills, cutting discs, permanent markers.......

It saves so much time and I keep klms off the clock

I’ll bet you do.

But a lot depends on the size of the item of course. I got quotes on trucking the plywood and not surprisingly it brought it right back to the same price I’d pay locally. It really was fortunate that I had a light commercial van suitable for the trip AND I wanted to visit family in Melbourne.
Old 08-12-2020, 03:59   #203

Quote:
My Triton 1 ton cab/chassis is the best M/V investment I've ever made. No trouble carrying a sheet of ply, a 3.5m length of pipe for emergency steering, tonnes of lead for ballast........[emoji2]
I had the older version of the Triton and loved it.

Then I bought a Toyota Hiace. Perfection!

Name:	FB_IMG_1607428766173.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	50.2 KB
ID:	228291
Old 08-12-2020, 17:09   #204

Quote:
I had the older version of the Triton and loved it.

Then I bought a Toyota Hiace. Perfection!

Attachment 228291

Our vehicles are Commercial vehicles (no warranty) and of no interest to the average family man and that is why they are cheap.
Old 08-12-2020, 17:32   #205

It's interesting to see the vehicle platforms that we don't normally get here in the US.
I have had them small like a 70's VW Rabbit diesel to large like a Chevy dually pickup (6 wheels) with 4 doors.
Old 08-12-2020, 18:41   #206

Quote:
It's interesting to see the vehicle platforms that we don't normally get here in the US.
I have had them small like a 70's VW Rabbit diesel to large like a Chevy dually pickup (6 wheels) with 4 doors.

We are strongly influenced by the Japanese market here I think. The Hiace is a really good example. It can get down the tiniest laneways and the turning circle is minuscule, but the practical top speed was only about 90 km/h because it was geared very low. Perfect for Japan, but a bit frustrating in Australia. Having said all that, it is of course, blessed with that exceptional Japanese build quality and was still running perfectly with 460,000 km on the clock when I sold it. Didn’t use oil, leak, smoke or otherwise misbehave after all those miles. Japan does really produce some superb cars.
Old 08-12-2020, 18:43   #207

Quote:
Our vehicles are Commercial vehicles (no warranty) and of no interest to the average family man and that is why they are cheap.

I wish the Hiace was cheap but it was pretty brutal. I paid $4500 for it a few years ago with 400,000 km on the clock. I could have got a similar age Ford or Mitsubishi for half that price at the time. But they weren’t a scratch on the Toyota for durability.
Old 08-12-2020, 21:11   #208

Quote:

Spot I don't know where you are up to with your refit but I hope you are making lots of use of fiberglass for trim - hatch trim, window trim, deck hatch lids, instrument binnacles, dorade boxes.......

I figure it not only looks better but it can be a real time saver (especially if more than one required)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screenshot_2020-12-06 IMG_0988.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	228335   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2020-12-06 IMG_1088.png
Views:	37
Size:	381.0 KB
ID:	228336  

Name:	Screenshot_2020-12-06 The nearest mold is for window trim.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	228337   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1125.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	401.6 KB
ID:	228338  

Old 09-12-2020, 17:16   #209

Quote:
Spot I don't know where you are up to with your refit but I hope you are making lots of use of fiberglass for trim - hatch trim, window trim, deck hatch lids, instrument binnacles, dorade boxes...I figure it not only looks better but it can be a real time saver (especially if more than one required)
I am at a fork in the road and at the end of being able to work outdoors for the winter.

Fork A: start sewing cushion covers (indoor activity, need to pick fabric and source rest of foam)
Fork B: finish the the two galley cabinets (need to make patterns and buy plywood)
Forr C: wiring permanent 12VDC throughout boat (need time in boat, have all except new panel)
Fork D: bulkhead for rear lazarette and redo 'fishbones' (internal framing to support external swing keel) and re-seal keel to hull. (need warmer weather or indoor work space)

The boat had 6mm (1/2") plywood trim covering the deck to hull joint and hiding the wires. other than those, the number of varnished bits on this boat is less than 10 and the companionway accounts for 5 of them.

***I like what you did with the moulds, esp. for the trim. Is the head system your own design? ***

I should make my galley patterns before the boat is snowed in so I have a second over-winter project. The wiring will not be hard or take long but I don't have a panel yet (started a home brew one but no longer liking it).
Old 09-12-2020, 17:49   #210

Quote:
I am at a fork in the road and at the end of being able to work outdoors for the winter.

Fork A: start sewing cushion covers (indoor activity, need to pick fabric and source rest of foam)
Fork B: finish the the two galley cabinets (need to make patterns and buy plywood)
Forr C: wiring permanent 12VDC throughout boat (need time in boat, have all except new panel)
Fork D: bulkhead for rear lazarette and redo 'fishbones' (internal framing to support external swing keel) and re-seal keel to hull. (need warmer weather or indoor work space)

The boat had 6mm (1/2") plywood trim covering the deck to hull joint and hiding the wires. other than those, the number of varnished bits on this boat is less than 10 and the companionway accounts for 5 of them.

***I like what you did with the moulds, esp. for the trim. Is the head system your own design? ***

I should make my galley patterns before the boat is snowed in so I have a second over-winter project. The wiring will not be hard or take long but I don't have a panel yet (started a home brew one but no longer liking it).

Fork A: IKEA has been the cheapest source of bedding grade foam I have found. Still had to pay a painful amount for the settee base foam though.

Tags
boat, interior, refit, sail, sailboat