Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 10:15   #1

Boat: Hunter 701 23ft - Panache
Interior Painting

I am painting the interior of a sailing boat which has previous coats of paint on it. I was given what I believe to be a new tin of anti-condensation paint. I scrubbed the surface with anti mould agent and then washed it off with sugar soap and left it to dry. I cam back the next day...the air temperature was around 14-16 degrees celcius.... and painted the fore cabin. I have returned today to find the inside of the whole boat damp with condensation and the paint in the fore cabin still wet.... any suggestions...other than the paint being off ( I am currently running a test in my garage to see if the paint will go off in a drier and warmer condition.
pinnache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 13:29   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
CJ, just seen no one has replied to this so I will. You don't need anti condensation or mould paint. What you do need is lots of ventilation to keep the mildew in check. You can't get rid of it, its a natural occurring problem for all of us. Howver, ventilation, ventilation and just for good measure more ventilation will stop condensation causing mildew.

So plan of attack, ignoring the wet paint problem, get the inside of the boat dry. Take any cushions home, wash covers and dry the foam somewhere warm. Next lots of bleach, wipe down all surfaces inside lockers and the interior hull as the bleach kills mildew. ventilate the boat and all spaces including under bunks and leave the lids propped up so the air can circulate. Finally ensure you have plenty of vents. On our M31 we have 7 which is sufficient to change the air often enough we don't have a problem even without any heating on board.

Final thought, before you start getting frost in NI drain all water tanks and pipes including the heads because a boat stored ashore will get very cold. We stay in during the winter so the sea temperature at 6c stops ice forming, but on the shore the temperature will drop and any water on board will freeze in NI.

Not sure what to suggest about the paint. I would either add an electric heater for a week if you have power from the marina or leave it for the winter. It might harden eventually, otherwise it's a horrible job to remove.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 13:34   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
To take your mind off the outboard, if you have moved to freshwater, you should consider if the hull has any anodes fitted, although any change will wait for next season. (It may not have with a lead keel and an outboard).

Hull Anode Selection - Marine Cathodic Protection - MGDUFF

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 13:52   #4

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Providing that you have electricity available - Put a dehumidifier in the boat, It will not only heat the interior but also dry out the boat and allow the paint to dry.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 14:14   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Never heard of an anti-condensation paint thought there is a first time for everything. Is it an anti-mold paint?? In any case, sounds like you don't have the best conditions for the paint to dry. Could take a week or more in the conditions you are describing.

You can't buy the really effective Mercury anti-mold additive anymore. Wonder why?? There are additives available, however. I'd use that with the paint, no matter what. Boats are molds heaven.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior