Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2020, 16:02   #31

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck
Re: Interior Paint Disagreement Thread

Firstly, plywood does not move, you could use any number of veener's, very thin, so no weight issue, heldin place with "horse hide glue", yep, it's still used,because it's the only glue that works, when glue'ing a veener in place, a few year's ago, i worked on a Mega yacht-125 ft.Sailing vessel,all the bulk-head's, ect. were plywood, so the process was: take a pattern with putchers type paper, lay on the veener, cut out, pin in place with straight pins [small hole], the surface has been coated with horse hide glue, and is dry, after pinning in place, take a iron and run it over the veener, the H.H. glue will soften, and voila !, done, finally coat with a clear coat.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 16:45   #32

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

For ease of cleaning, you might want to radius all the corners. It will be easier to keep grunge from collecting at the joins.
Old 14-09-2020, 17:02   #33

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Paint it white with your favorite paint then put clear coats of polyurethane over it.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 17:55   #34
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

First you need to seal the wood: this is what prevents rot, mildew etc. and provide the base for the topcoat. I use two methods, one of which is a penetrating epoxy which is out of the question in this case, so we use the 2nd best and that is an epoxy primer, which does not give allergic epoxy reactions.

Awlgrip 545 Epoxy Primer with Awlgrip 545 Epoxy Primer Converter. Mix and let induct for 15 minutes. Next add at least 20% Awlgrip T0031 brushing reducer. Take a brush and test on a piece of scrap plywood to confirm it flows smoothly. If not, keep adding reducer.

Now roll and brush it on all sides incl. edges. After cure, the grain of the wood will be raised and it needs to be sanded smooth. It will be a much harder, plastic-like surface. Do not consider this “primed”, just sealed and stabilized.

Now to make it pretty: I would not use Awlgrip but go for International Perfection one part polyurethane. Don’t forget their Pre-Kote primer.

For Awlgrip finish, the wood needs to be covered with fiberglass first. I do that as well. I add a layer of light 6-ounce fiberglass cloth to complete sheets of plywood before cutting out the cabinet panels. Then, after assembly, both outside and inside corners need to be tabbed in, which means that outside corners need to have a radius (roundover bit) and inside corners a fillet (ahem, epoxy). Next is sanding and fairing, followed by primer and top coat. A lot of work for an interior.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 18:44   #35
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Your best topcoat choice will also depend on color selection variability, it is not easy to choose the correct . Shade of white. I chose pale sable which is actually kind of peachy. Never would have considered in. But is perfect with the african mahogany trim and guatemalan teak floor. Bring home all of the " white" samples that you can find and consider each one.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 19:50   #36

We originally tried gloss white on plywood, but have generally replaced it as it tends to look a bit OTT. Shows up scratches and the wood grain under (in spite of many laboriously sanded undercoats). Plus we used oil based paints which actually do change colour over a long period making repair matching near impossible.

We eventually tried recoatable gloss acrylic that is used on building outsides. We lightly sanded the old oil based paint and then applied, by a small nap roller, an appropriate undercoat. (A universal type)
We then applied the hard white exterior gloss paint (comes with a 20 year warranty!) again using a short nap roller. It can get dirty but washes really easily. If damaged, we just apply another layer using the same roller. No mixing. Just use the same type of roller (left in the paint tin).
The result is glossy, dimpled but not mirror shiny. Just does not fade at all. AND IT'S VERY, VERY CHEAP! EASY TO APPLY.
We have used it mainly on vertical surfaces which now much better. Absolutely does not fade. Give it a try. Should cost virtually nothing to check that you are happy with the surface result.
But I would not use it (or any paint for that matter) on work bench surfaces. Laminates, floor vinyl, tiles or SS.
billgewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2020, 20:08   #37

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Has someone mentions PVC/Plastic wallpaper?

https://www.aliexpress.com/w/wholesa...wallpaper.html

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...+PVC+wallpaper
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 01:56   #38

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Does anyone have experience with this?

Is it waterproof to any degree? Is it resistant to humidity?

Seems it would make for a very light coating.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 02:19   #39

Yes I do. I have used a bold Scottish tartan vinyl wallpaper on the chain locker bulkhead. I think it looks great. The wallpaper has been there for over 40 years. Easy to clean as well.
The ceiling is gloss white oil based paint and the hull side walls are short nap gloss acrylic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chain locker bulkhead.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	223439  
Old 15-09-2020, 02:19   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Coopec43!!!

This is really something!!

The adhesives have changed, the quality has changed and people are using this in showers and as a countertop!!

It’s like any other vinyl wrap in many ways. Like on cars and boat hulls. If that isn’t good for indoor use (stays on hulls and cars outside) I don’t know what is.

Best part? It’s the lightest weight material of them all! And lower cost.

Wow.
Old 15-09-2020, 02:22   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgewater View Post
Yes I do. I have used a bold Scottish tartan vinyl wallpaper on the chain locker bulkhead. I think it looks great. I have tried to upload the jpeg image but without success. The wallpaper has been there for over 40 years. Easy to clean as well.
I will try the picture again.
40 years!! Wow.

I’m sold. I’ll use this over whatever lightest surface is I can create.

Probably over some wood sealed off with polyester.

Does anyone think it’s necessary to seal off the faces of the marine ply if it’s covered in vinyl?

Do I just need to seal the edges and in maybe 3cm or an inch or so on the faces?

Or do I still need to seal the whole sheet of ply?
Old 15-09-2020, 02:50   #42
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

Coming in late to the party, but for shiny interior surfaces I use Rust-oleum. You can prime underneath with Interlux pre-kote, sand and reprime till surface is perfect, then slosh on the old oil paint. I have ten y/o rustoleum still going strong.
Old 15-09-2020, 03:18   #43

billgewater here again. The surface the tartan vinyl wallpaper is glued onto is quarter inch plywood. Oil based paint sealing on both sides and edges. The plywood was attached to a crash structural chain locker bulkhead. There is no sealant over the wallpaper.
The trim timber used was mainly Western Australian Jarrah. (rare as hen's teeth now.) The partly open door is the entrance to the chain locker. The door is simply varnished heavy plywood.
My boat is 16 m and is consequently fairly spacious inside and the pattern works with these dimensions. I am of Scottish decent which may explain why I not only used tartan but also wanted a cheap long lasting solution. Madness in my method.
For a smaller boat there are probably preferred patterns. However there are many variants available I'm sure. If doing it again, I would take roll samples from the shop and see how it goes.
Old 15-09-2020, 05:26   #44

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Is Vinyl Wallpaper Waterproof?

When it comes to decorating a home, there are a lot of questions you might have. Each room in the house may answer those questions differently. At Limitless Walls, people often ask, "Is vinyl wallpaper waterproof?" Quick answer: yes!

https://www.limitlesswalls.com/artic...mitless-walls/

Self Adhesive Wallpaper Rolls Removable Vinyl PVC Brick ...

www.amazon.com.au › Adhesive-Wallpaper-Removable-Bathroom-...

Charge Unit: Usd/Roll; Function: Waterproof,Fireproof,Sound-Absorbing,Heat Insulation,Smoke-Proof,Moisture-Proof,Mould-Proof,Soundproof,Anti-static
coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2020, 10:04   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benz View Post
Coming in late to the party, but for shiny interior surfaces I use Rust-oleum. You can prime underneath with Interlux pre-kote, sand and reprime till surface is perfect, then slosh on the old oil paint. I have ten y/o rustoleum still going strong.
I've heard many positive comments about Rustoleum on boats - exterior and interior. But if you use it inside, doesn't it take weeks for the smell to go away? Also, when it comes to repainting, can you get a glass-flat new surface without spraying?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior, men, paint