Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 08:49   #1

Boat: Just Photographs & Memories Now
Interior Make Over

I have alot of questions to ask, being a new guy, sometime do not know how to correctly ask them, so I will start with this.

I was looking a Cape Dory 28, that could use a new interior. The guy who was selling the boat mentioned that I should get the interior re-done in the Bahamas, as it would save me a few dollars gettting the work done off shore. That got me to thinking, and wondering, if any of yall ever had any interior work done in other places than your home port? I have a internet friend out of Australia, who sails regularly around Indonesia, and he had his interior redone in Thailand for about half of what it would cost him in Darwin, and was very pleased with the work.

Would any of you have knowledge of any places in the carrib that does great work at a reasonable price? Since this is where I will be cruising mostly for the next few months. Im not a cheap kinda guy, and I have never had a problem paying a quality price for quality work, but sometimes, saving a few nickles here and there can make a sailing kitty last longer.

I could do the work myself, but knowing from past experiences on other projects, I usually spend more than if I had farmed out the work from the get-go.

ps. I have alot more questions, so as soon as I figure out how to ask them, I will get them up. I have been using the search feature quite extensively, and already had alot of my questions answered by reading. Thanks
BlackOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:03   #2

Re: Interior Make Over

I think your question is valid, but I would caution your action based on past experiences.

I would make sure to get specific detail of who did the work, and if there were any problems, delays, etc.

As we humans know, what one person thinks is gold, another thinks as garbage.

I will be reading to find the same information though. But I'm more of a DIY with regard to anything I own. I just have a way I want things done, and it is just easier to do them myself. I rarely ask for help just for that reason. It saves a lot of aggravation for me and anyone else who may offer. I am surprised sometimes by the attention to detail of some people, but not often.

James L
propellanttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 09:10   #3

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

If I were trying to save money I don't think the Bahamas would be on the top of my list. Maybe the Rio Dulce in Guatemala (from what I hear).
Old 02-11-2012, 09:16   #4

when it comes to repairing a laptop or fixing an engine, I am a wiz! When it comes to wood working, fiberglass, plumbing, electrical, I am all thumbs. I plan to gut the present interior to the walls and make it as simple as I can on the inside, and as minimal as possible. When I step into the cabin, I want it as open and airy as it can be. No dark wood for me thank you. Keeping it simple.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
If I were trying to save money I don't think the Bahamas would be on the top of my list. Maybe the Rio Dulce in Guatemala (from what I hear).
Thanks for that, I will do some research.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:51   #6

Hmm... dont know of an real work of that type going on in the Bahamas... maybe there is. The quality of third world work is related to the actual person doing it and can vary alot. What is the reason it needs a "new interior"? finish work? upholstery? cabinets rotten?

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:06   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Hmm... dont know of an real work of that type going on in the Bahamas... maybe there is. The quality of third world work is related to the actual person doing it and can vary alot. What is the reason it needs a "new interior"? finish work? upholstery? cabinets rotten?
The interior is just old wood, some rot, and in general disarray(aka yugly) not to mention smells really bad with mold everywhere. I just want it all pulled out (I can do that part, as I can tear up anything!) and start over.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:49   #8

who's Cape Dory did you buy? I know more than a few CDs..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:50   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
The interior is just old wood, some rot, and in general disarray(aka yugly) not to mention smells really bad with mold everywhere. I just want it all pulled out (I can do that part, as I can tear up anything!) and start over.
You know, I got to thinking about this a little, and came to a realization that may be important.

Be very careful tearing out any of the forward walls. The mast is above those parts, and you may compromise the compression support of the hull if you do.

We all understand the walls in a sailboat work, but the Cape Dory 28 has no compression post. I would think the door way of the birth wall would be somewhat of a compression post setup.

That is one thing many of us don't think about when refurbishing a boat. It is different when you are going to use it while the refurbishment is in progress. The boat was built to have certain items installed when under sail. If not sailing, they are less important.

I'm in no way a expert on the Cape Dory 28. Someone else may know much more about the design that discounts my concerns. This is my disclaimer for being stupid about the design.

This is my opinion only, your mileage may vary.

James L.
propellanttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012, 10:54   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOak View Post
How old is this CD? You sure that isn't teak? Some 70's version had some kind of cheap veneer. Be careful gutting a CD IF it has the teak interior...Sounds like it was neglected..

Good luck with the restoration... Try to do it right and you'll have a great vessel..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 02-11-2012, 10:59   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellanttech View Post
You know, I got to thinking about this a little, and came to a realization that may be important.

Be very careful tearing out any of the forward walls. The mast is above those parts, and you may compromise the compression support of the hull if you do.

We all understand the walls in a sailboat work, but the Cape Dory 28 has no compression post. I would think the door way of the birth wall would be somewhat of a compression post setup.

That is one thing many of us don't think about when refurbishing a boat. It is different when you are going to use it while the refurbishment is in progress. The boat was built to have certain items installed when under sail. If not sailing, they are less important.

I'm in no way a expert on the Cape Dory 28. Someone else may know much more about the design that discounts my concerns. This is my disclaimer for being stupid about the design.

This is my opinion only, your mileage may vary.

James L.
Under NO circumstances take out the BULKHEADS...They retain the boat shape and, in the case of this one, the deck from caving in from mast compression. On the hard with the mast down, MAYBE. But even then you risk tweeking the hull...

Visit the CD board for expert advice The Cape Dory Board • View forum - Cape Dorys

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
Old 04-11-2012, 14:00   #12

Ok, great thanks for the info. I will take some photos and get them posted up hopefully this week, before I start tearing stuff up, and get some opinions.
Old 04-11-2012, 19:08   #13

Before you start tearing things up you might want to prime all the ugly stuff with a good mold retardant primer and paint things white with maybe some varnished trim. Unless you are an experianced Blue Water cruiser you will probably take a reasonable interior and turn it into something so personal that no one else will like it. I must admit that I tore out the v berths in my Contessa 26 and made the whole forward compartment into stowage, but I made sure I didnt remove anything structural. It made the boat better for long distance cruising, but probably cost me several thousand when I sold it. My advice would be to paint some of the bulkheads white but dont tear anything out until you have lived aboard and sailed the boat for a while. Cape Dory,s are a well designed boat, by a very well respected archetect. Not to be disrespectful, but at your stage in the learning curve I think you should sail the heck out of the boat before you think you know more than the original designer. Good Luck with it. I think you have chosen a great boat to start with. ___Jusy my 2 cents worth.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 03:30   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Discover the magic of white paint!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior