Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2017, 17:14   #16

Boat: PDQ 36
Re: Interior Help

I also have done a lot of interior design and have the same concerns as you do. My names is also Kim. :-)

Have you seen these two interiors?? One is a boat, another one what I would call a gypsy wagon.

http://britishstandardcupboards.co.uk/shepherds-hut

This could be done with the board/batten stuff that someone talked about above.

http://www.verywellsalted.com/2015/0...-cruising.html

Bravo for her, she completely transformed this monohull to a beautiful, bright space.

I have also wondered about wallpaper. Would a vinyl wallpaper hold up to the humidity? Would it be durable enough? It would open up a world of possibilities.

What do you think, Kim?
KiminAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 17:15   #17
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is what I would do:

Start small.

Pick one surface. Test. Learn. Experiment. Learn. Improve.

Get big piece of paper.
Cut out a template to match the ceiling or surface. Match the curve. Use poster board or similar that mimics the stiffness so you can see the curve.
Find handyman. Explain you want wood paneling cut to size and shape (and possibly finished). Get firm quote and assurance of quality work.
Have handyman cut the panel to shape.
Finish the surfaces before installation. You or handyman.
Install the panel so it can be removed easily if needed.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 17:19   #18
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes.
This is the example I think best fits for a "redecorated by painting" older and not expensive fiberglass boat.

The couple did an outstanding job. I have recommend this to others here. They also participated on CF at one time.

Here is the link to their good Before and After photos.

Not Quite Seasoned, but Very Well Salted: Before & Afters
Old 18-06-2017, 17:19   #19

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

No, Kim,

That fabric will have mold spores in it.

I agree with Steady, I like a white tone below decks, too. Our present boat is a sort of Hatteras Cream color, where the timber is not finished bright (varnished.)

Once you're rid of the mouse fur, easy to keep clean and mold free is the way to go. You might investigate (by Googling) the use of clove oil in water for spore killing. Its preventive effects may last longer than vinegar. I haven't experimented with it, so no personal experience. You'll find you'll make many experiments till you come up with what you like.

Ann
Old 18-06-2017, 17:22   #20
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Everything you need to know about mold removal and prevention on Boats.

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=011403...old&gsc.page=1
Old 18-06-2017, 17:39   #21

I know there has been some previous discussion about getting liners and 'mouse fur' off of boats. You seem to be good at finding those, Steady Hand.

Kim, it's not as easy as you might think. Some folks have struggled with it, YMMV, of course. But no matter how difficult it is, I think it's worth it. I could not live with that stuff.
Old 18-06-2017, 18:01   #22

Boat: 88 36' Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiminAK View Post
I also have done a lot of interior design and have the same concerns as you do. My names is also Kim. :-)

Have you seen these two interiors?? One is a boat, another one what I would call a gypsy wagon.

http://britishstandardcupboards.co.uk/shepherds-hut

This could be done with the board/batten stuff that someone talked about above.

http://www.verywellsalted.com/2015/0...-cruising.html

Bravo for her, she completely transformed this monohull to a beautiful, bright space.

I have also wondered about wallpaper. Would a vinyl wallpaper hold up to the humidity? Would it be durable enough? It would open up a world of possibilities.

What do you think, Kim?

Hi Kim!

Yes, I have seen the "very well salted" blog photos.. amazing! And while I love the colors and interior, we are wanting to keep it a LITTLE more traditional. I do think I'm going to pursue the "bead board" option. I like the idea of being able to paint it so it can just be wiped down. I think we are going to do the same in v berth. I will just have a few extra pillows made to place along the sides.

I don't think wallpaper would hold up. I've redone too many bathrooms where the wallpaper is literally sliding off due to moisture. Also, I don't want to have to take off the current mess; installing over it is my definite go to. Lol

Thanks!
Kim
flblowfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2017, 19:40   #23

I can understand not wanting to take off what is there. I gather it can be hard and a terrible job.

I think the beadboard, painted will be nice. I have been enamored of sky blue ceilings lately.
Old 18-06-2017, 19:41   #24

Thanks for the info about the wallpaper, I guess I'll be stenciling my main cabin.
Old 19-06-2017, 09:00   #25

Quote:
I know there has been some previous discussion about getting liners and 'mouse fur' off of boats. You seem to be good at finding those, Steady Hand.

Kim, it's not as easy as you might think. Some folks have struggled with it, YMMV, of course. But no matter how difficult it is, I think it's worth it. I could not live with that stuff.

I'm going to take it off. It's not anything I'm interested in trying to live with, keep dirt and mold free.

So is everyone of the opinion that it needs to come off BEFORE the bead board goes up??
Old 19-06-2017, 09:23   #26

- This not a "project before you launch" It can take a lot of effort to do this work, especially if you are going to do the board and batten type.
- lots of hull liner material is available from the fuzzy stuff to embossed vinyl.
-Some come with foam backing, the problem with foam backing is the foam deteriorates readily. In my catamaran it was falling apart in 7-8 years. The foam turns to dust.
-However, the foam backing or the "rat fur" liner does cover lumps and bumps better.
-For glued on covering we used to spray the glue on the boat and "rat fur". Then just lay the rat fur in place. Then we used a razor knife to cut the perimeter after it's stuck. If you cut a pattern and try to put it in place on the "landau top" or contact cement, you are not going to get it in place properly.
-Ceiling strip put in with the strip and batten method are very pretty. A good winter project when your sailing is done. I did one boat in mahogany but the best one was done in white cedar, came out beautiful. I fit and screwed all the strips in place, then removed and numbered them and varnished them outside the boat.

Yes the old rat fur needs to come off so you can bond the battens in place properly to the hull. It's also a mold collector anyway.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2017, 12:29   #27

If it was me, I would take it off. Even knowing that it has the potential to be a PITA. Only you can tell if it's holding enough mold spores to bother you. Some people have been able to scrape off what's left once you pull the mouse fur. Some people have had to sand it off or use a wire brush on it. But it has the potential to be messy. You might be one of the lucky ones and it comes off clean with no problem. You won't know until you start and then you're committed!!

Are you going to redo your upholstery? If so, are you going print or solid? There are some wonderful sunbrella fabrics. I live in Alaska now, and here we tend to go for bright colors, since it's white/grey here for 6 months. I'm taking that esthetic with me. I love pattern and pattern on pattern, but the salon on all boats is so small, it might be too much.

She did a great job on 'well salted', she used bright colors but used them in big blocks and kept the upholstery grey. And I really like what she did.

What are you thinking?
Old 19-06-2017, 13:35   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
- This not a "project before you launch" It can take a lot of effort to do this work, especially if you are going to do the board and batten type.
- lots of hull liner material is available from the fuzzy stuff to embossed vinyl.
-Some come with foam backing, the problem with foam backing is the foam deteriorates readily. In my catamaran it was falling apart in 7-8 years. The foam turns to dust.
-However, the foam backing or the "rat fur" liner does cover lumps and bumps better.
-For glued on covering we used to spray the glue on the boat and "rat fur". Then just lay the rat fur in place. Then we used a razor knife to cut the perimeter after it's stuck. If you cut a pattern and try to put it in place on the "landau top" or contact cement, you are not going to get it in place properly.
-Ceiling strip put in with the strip and batten method are very pretty. A good winter project when your sailing is done. I did one boat in mahogany but the best one was done in white cedar, came out beautiful. I fit and screwed all the strips in place, then removed and numbered them and varnished them outside the boat.

Yes the old rat fur needs to come off so you can bond the battens in place properly to the hull. It's also a mold collector anyway.

I'm going with the panels of bead board, not individual strips. The overhead has been repainted and will stay as is for now. I will be removing the rat fur first tho.
Old 19-06-2017, 13:42   #29

Quote:
If it was me, I would take it off. Even knowing that it has the potential to be a PITA. Only you can tell if it's holding enough mold spores to bother you. Some people have been able to scrape off what's left once you pull the mouse fur. Some people have had to sand it off or use a wire brush on it. But it has the potential to be messy. You might be one of the lucky ones and it comes off clean with no problem. You won't know until you start and then you're committed!!

Are you going to redo your upholstery? If so, are you going print or solid? There are some wonderful sunbrella fabrics. I live in Alaska now, and here we tend to go for bright colors, since it's white/grey here for 6 months. I'm taking that esthetic with me. I love pattern and pattern on pattern, but the salon on all boats is so small, it might be too much.

She did a great job on 'well salted', she used bright colors but used them in big blocks and kept the upholstery grey. And I really like what she did.

What are you thinking?

Yes, all of the salon cushions are going to be redone. I don't even think we are going to keep the foam as I'm so concerned about mold. I'm going to go with a Sunbrella fabric, most likely a large stripe or solid, and just add a few small patterned throw pillows. The cockpit also needs cushions. Our Bimini is that typical Caribbean blue so I think I'm going to go with a tan and white stripe. Or a pattern with the blue in it.

I not a fan of bright colors so much as a lighter shabby pallet. If I could figure out how to get corrugated steel on the interior hull, I would do it. Lol

It is what it is.... definitely has its limits.
Old 19-06-2017, 13:46   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by flblowfish View Post
I'm going with the panels of bead board, not individual strips. The overhead has been repainted and will stay as is for now. I will be removing the rat fur first tho.
If the area is flat enough the panels may work. If too much curve,... maybe not. Make a cardboard template first.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
interior