Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2009, 14:03   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Interior Floor Replacement

The Teak and Holly decking in my catamaran is spongy in many places, and some of the veneers have peeled off where the floor was saturated with antifreeze. I have slipped and fallen a few times in wet conditions, so I am looking for a replacement for all of the flooring that is lighter in weight, just as durable and perhaps more slip resistant than what is there. Suggestions? Experiences? Opinions? The spacing between 'joists' is four feet, but the sections are less than two feet wide except on the bridge deck, the bulkheads are lighly stained with darker mahogony or teak trim.

HELP!
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 19:31   #2

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Not sure what you are looking for, but our cat has a commercial grade (maybe I should say industrial) vinyl flooring that is fairly slip resistant. Looks good, but obviously not traditional.
If you are interested, i can look up the manufacturer.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 19:39   #3

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Given the dimensions you noted for the floor timber spacing and the floor widths, I'd be wondering how much of that spongy feeling is due to the overly large unsupported area. You didn't mention the thickness of the floors themselves.

I weigh in at just under 300 lbs, and my floors are 3/4 inch ply. The longest distance they need to span is about 2'6" with a width of 14 inches. They do not spring or bounce at all. I would suggest that you put in additional floors and split the 4 foot bays into 2 foot bays. Then you will have no spring what so ever on 3/4 ply. As for material, Teak/holly is very pricey. I've been looking at a different material which is Teak/maple. It looks different but is about half the price. I suggest you visit this web site and have a look.

Noah's Marine Supplies Online Store - Plywood & Panels=

18mm is about 3/4 inch, and the teak n maple is about half the cost of teak n holly. Its a Canadian site but I'm sure they can ship to you. If not you should be able to find that material locally somewhere.
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 19:45   #4

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
I will be watching this thread closely to see what ideas are offered here. I have just completely replaced the cabin sole and all floor timbers in our Ingrid.
All of the timbers that I put back in are epoxy saturated as well as the plywood over the timbers. My next step is similar to yours, Sandy. I have been looking at Bamboo as a flooring but not quite sure about it. I have heard that it can work out pretty well but I would like to know more before I install it!

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 19:55   #5

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
I addressed only the surface material in my earlier post.
In the main cabin (bridgedeck), the vinyl is glued right to the floor. In the hulls where there are removable floorboards, I made the floorboards out of Decolite, which is a fiberglass balsa sandwich, so quite light. It is pricey though. I see they now make it with an Airex core as well .
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 20:06   #6

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983
We had looked at similar options with our boat, and having the same issues with the flooring peeling or splinters. We opted for the vinyl replacement of Lonseal. It comes in 6 ft widths, and was very impressed with several boats we looked at installed in. Have it here now to install, so hopefully over next few weeks can post some pics of it.
Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 05:17   #7

Boat: pilot cutter
I recently made cabin sole panels from engineered bamboo flooring (bamboo on a cedar backing made for below-grade/ground installations), and it looks nice. Of course I saturated the cedar backing with repeated applications of boiled linseed oil before installing them. The engineered bamboo worked out to about $3 per sq ft, plus labor (which was 'free'). 'Teak and holly' in a similar thickness would be 3-4 times that amount (plus labor).

What is currently sold as 'teak and holly' is not 'holly' at all but simply a light colored wood (I forget which one specifically). They just _call_ it teak and holly because its traditional.
Not Sure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:26   #8
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
the builder of my boat used 2 layers of 1/2" plywood .. the 1" thickness is strong and does not flex. solid teak planks would of course better IMHO.
Old 06-12-2009, 09:46   #9

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
In my cat I used this:
Nautolex(R) Marine OEM Upholstery

Certainly not traditional, but very light weight, good non-slip, and easy maintenance. However, doesn't provide any noise insulation.
gosstyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:52   #10

Boat: 1983 Gulfstar 36
I was on a 36 ft boat that had overlayed the old discolored T/H with 18mm tongue and grove engineered bamboo. Water had gotten under the top laminate and was not thick enough to strip yet again. It was a fairly easy install and looked nice. The 18mm bamboo is also very stiff. I got some samples from Lumber Liquidator (Flooring shop in the US) and left it in the water next to the boat for a few months and was stunned to see little effect. The lighter colored floor against the dark teak lighted the interior up a bit as well. I am also thinking of using it, or a similar product.

"Yes, well.. perhaps some more wine" (Julia Child)
S/V Antares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 15:45   #11

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
left it in the water next to the boat for a few months and was stunned to see little effect. The lighter colored floor against the dark teak lighted the interior up a bit as well.
Great information, Antares! Thanks!

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 20:45   #12

Boat: 1975 Downeaster 38' Cutter
anyone have pictures of the bamboo floors?
Beersmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 05:01   #13

Boat: Irwin 40
I used a product Called Amtico. It is a high end vinyl flooring. Several major boat builders use this product as well. So far I am happy with it. It even has a bit of "grain" to it so it has some non skid effect. Bit tedious to put down as it comes in strips but the end result is is nice and after a year is holding up well. Here is a picture of me installing it
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3712a.jpg
Views:	17944
Size:	411.9 KB
ID:	11681
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 05:06   #14

Boat: Lagoon 420
The salon area of my boat was carpet. I hated it.

I ripped out the carpet and installed Awlgrip with a faux finish over the existing decking. It looks great, is non-skid and is eay to clean. It looks brand new after 5 or 6 years. If it ever starts to wear, I can just lay down another coat of the clear overcoat

I was fortunate to be next to the Awlgrip dealer for Trinidad who had paint in large drums so I was able to buy small amounts to make the faux finish. Also, had an artist on board at the time. That helped immnsely when it came to he faux finish.
Bradley is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cork, deck, flooring, interior, teak and holly