Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2010, 09:49   #16

Boat: MJM 50 Z
The point here is that narrow planks can form a nice curved shape.
Looks way cool.

Just like anything else, with skill, hard work and few tools an elegant result can be achieved.
Highlander40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2010, 12:29   #17

Boat: Homemade double ender
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highlander40 View Post
The point here is that narrow planks can form a nice curved shape.
Looks way cool.

Just like anything else, with skill, hard work and few tools an elegant result can be achieved.
thanks for comments.
I spent maybe a year or so figure out to make a nice looking hull with the meager resources i have access to - and after reading quite a few books about wooden boat building and building in general (chapelle, w.farmer, rabl,hamlin et al) i stopped thinking too complicated and grabbed my skilsaw and start cutting alloy into strips just like wooden planks. Ofcourse a true carvel wineglass in alloy is my wet dream but i really dont have such tools or experience available now.

I agree that counting manhours and compare different building style is next to impossible. speed goes up by experience and different yards or homebuilders have different way of improving speed, but i must say. speed of boatbuilding is not the most important factor as long as progress is acceptable. The feeling of shaping a flat plate into almost female curves gives at least me quite a pleasure, besides the boat will have a longer life than me so 500-800 hours more in the shed dosent really count that much during a lifetime.

so the morale must be: better think simple and start today. and maybe also do not listen too much what other say how things should be done. There is not really any wrong or right way of building a boat as long as the builder is happy with the result.

zeyang
Old 28-02-2010, 12:40   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Antares View Post
Having spile'd (fitted) many planks on wooden double enders it takes a wide board to get a long plank. as they look stright when in place but in fact are curved when laid flat. How much waste do you get wth the ALuminum? How long s your average plank? Very cool stuff! am now thinking of this for a 4 -5 meter tender project.
Im not really finished but if i say less than 10% waste maybe? And sofar i use lots of that waste to make other stuff on the boat so in end i think maybe between 5 and 10% hopefully.
average plank is around 12-14meter i think. width should be around 25-27 cm in the widest area (middle frame) down to 17-20cm in bow and stern. overlap is around 2 cm. (sometimes 3) its quite forging with this overlaps.
will fully weld inside and outside.

and to make it straight. im not a professional weldor or boatbuilder. i do this boatbuilding stuff for fun.

zeyang
Old 28-02-2010, 12:44   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
"we use" - ???

Once you introduce the "we", you can no longer compare (the man-hour requirement of) one technique with another.

Based on the ratio at which a boatyard can spit out hulls, I would guess the building speed order (that may be related to man-hour requirement) looks more or less like this:

-roto,
-laminate,
-welded metal,
-wood.

But note that the tooling and the level of skill in just these 4 samples escape any comparisons. Apples vs. onions.

b.
agree. its extremely hard to compare. but one thing can be said about man hours. a professional yard wh work for profit thinks different than an amatur building in his backyard. if he have to spend 2 more weeks i the shed its more like a bonus. :P

zeyang
Old 28-02-2010, 15:38   #20

Boat: a sailing boat
Yep, I agree: I think it is a very interesting project. Good luck and let us know on all progress!

barnie
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 14:21   #21
cruiser

I've tacked together a 36 foot hull in two days and the complete shell, hull, decks, cabin , wheelhouse, cockpit, rudder, keel and skeg in a week.
I'd rather be sailing.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 14:53   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Brent,

Clearly some people really get off on building.

Others get off on sailing.

There are a few, however, who like both. You seem to be one of those. A bit of a hybrid. Your quick build's are great, but not for everyone.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:04   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
I've tacked together a 36 foot hull in two days ...
Pics of Brent's "OrigamiBoats"
Origamiboats: The Art of Frameless Steel Boatbuilding - Photo Gallery

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 10:07   #24
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: still dreaming...getting close...
thanks Gord, I was feeling like I was missing something...!
Old 05-03-2010, 11:45   #25
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Zeyang-
I just hope you're documenting this- It really opens up alloy (Al or CuNi) construction without expensive machinery. I imagine it'd be possible to spile for carvel, but as you say it'd be a lot more exacting.

Very cool.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 15:28   #26
cruiser

Origami building takes very little equipment. Can be done in any backyard.
Old 07-03-2010, 06:24   #27

Quote:
Origami building takes very little equipment. Can be done in any backyard.
I find this origami boats way of building quite cool and will get some people ready to sail for short time.
But for the others who look for something other than hardchine... I think 2 guys can spend 800-1000 hours in the shed and make a really sweet looking wineglass hull which would make everyone they meet jealous. Basically thats 10-12 weeks of their life. I think its worth the time.

zeyang
Old 07-03-2010, 06:35   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeyang View Post
I think 2 guys can spend 800-1000 hours in the shed and make a really sweet looking wineglass hull which would make everyone they meet jealous. Basically thats 10-12 weeks of their life. I think its worth the time.

zeyang
I agree and think you are doing an increadible job.
Thanks for turning us on to another way to build boats
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 13:09   #29
cruiser

Thanks for posting the pics Gord. I owe you a beer when you come to the wet coast.
I have easily done wineglass transoms in origami boats, by welding the centreline under the transom solid, before cranking the hull down there. One can pull together an origami hull, then piece by piece, put radiused sections in to replace the chines. I've done it and seen it done by others. It takes a fraction the time of traditional building, and the results are much fairer.
Old 12-03-2010, 15:39   #30

Quote:
Thanks for posting the pics Gord. I owe you a beer when you come to the wet coast.
I have easily done wineglass transoms in origami boats, by welding the centreline under the transom solid, before cranking the hull down there. One can pull together an origami hull, then piece by piece, put radiused sections in to replace the chines. I've done it and seen it done by others. It takes a fraction the time of traditional building, and the results are much fairer.

I would love to see picture of a radius section boat with a true wineglass shape. people who manage to do that will be very well skilled in working with metal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	13838