Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2018, 08:08   #46

Boat: Jeanneau 52.2, Merit 25
Re: Insufficient threads on keel bolt. Double nut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
What’s the bolt diameter?

I think 5/8" but not positive as I'm away from the boat for a couple days.
Swift Drift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 15:51   #47

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter
Re: Insufficient threads on keel bolt. Double nut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift Drift View Post
While torquing my keel bolts to spec I had one nut that would continue to spin without reaching the appropriate torque.
Upon further investigation I found the threads towards the bottom of the bilge are not substantial enough for the nut to grab. It will start to grab and then jump the threads. Here is a pic of the length of the keel bolt:
Attachment 168743

My plan of action is to add another nut which will be able to grab the upper threads and torque nicely. Effectively the bottom (1st) nut would act as a spacer/washer allowing the upper (2nd) nut to access quality threads.

Can anyone find fault in my reasoning?
I realise I'm too late responding to this matter to be of any help; because I read the owner has seemingly resolved the problem by using a connector nut ... which I'm sure will work just fine.
My comment is purely regarding what I observed in the original post photo of the damaged stud. The damage certainly appears to be related to an installation problem, such as an oversized nut, or maybe even a 'stretched' stud; although I don't understand how the latter could happen. Only the installer knows for sure and it's a little late to go back to Catalina for answers on that.
As well, I see comments about "torque" on the second nut. I was taught the purpose of the second nut is that of a Jamb Nut, or locking device, to be 'snugged up' rather than torqued, after all, its primary purpose is simply to prevent rotation of the torqued primary nut. If torqued at all, it should be at a far less value than the primary retention nut.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2018, 17:59   #48

Boat: 41' yawl
Insufficient threads on keel bolt. Double nut?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorbob8599 View Post
As well, I see comments about "torque" on the second nut. I was taught the purpose of the second nut is that of a Jamb Nut, or locking device, to be 'snugged up' rather than torqued, after all, its primary purpose is simply to prevent rotation of the torqued primary nut. If torqued at all, it should be at a far less value than the primary retention nut.

There are no lock/jam nuts in this conversation.

At one point the OP was considering having one nut sit around the stripped threads just to take up space like a stack of washers but they opted to use a really long nut instead. Either way, in this situation (stripped threads at the original nut location) the second nut would be the one supplying the tension on the bolt and you would definitely want to torque it.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
keel