Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2020, 21:10   #1

Installing Soundown sound foam insulation

I recently sound proofed my engine compartment with the above. It is a 1" foam sheet made up of 2 layers of foam separated by a dense rubber layer and faced with aluminum film. It is quite heavy.
My problem is that it won't stay stuck to the ceiling of the engine compartment, which is the bare fibreglass surface of the underside of my cockpit sole. I used the recommended 3M hi tack spray adhesive as well as some aluminum anchors that I glued to the underside of the cockpit sole with some construction glue in a tube. "No More Nails" I think. It stayed in place for a week or so while the boat was at the dock, but as soon as I was underway it started to fall down. Could be the heat or the vibration or both. The spray adhesive is still tacky enough to hold the foam in place temporarily, but not permanently.

Anybody have any experience with this product and any suggestions? It is basically attaching heavy closed cell soft foam to bare fibreglass. Thanks.
osprey877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:56   #2

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)
Re: Installing Soundown sound foam insulation

I need to renew my own engine room insulation and the top insulation attachment with glue has always been an issue. My plan is to find at least four spots where a small diameter bolt can be installed and sealed with 5200 and hold the entire insulation panel with some 1”W flat long aluminum bars.
Old 07-09-2020, 08:28   #3

Boat: 52' Cheoy Lee Motorsailer

I needed to add thin battens in my engine room ceiling to keep it in place. Glue alone was insufficient. Walls are ok with adhesive alone even a few years on.
nmuir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:10   #4

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

I used screws and large fender washers to hold ours in place.

Since you probably don't want to punch holes in you f/g, would attach wood w/a good adhesive behind the foam. Let the adhesive cure, then use screws to hold the foam in place. Use fender washers or battens to help distribute the load.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:23   #5

Your sole is likely a cored sandwich right? Just use big fender washers and screws after you glue it.

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 10:34   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeValency View Post
I need to renew my own engine room insulation and the top insulation attachment with glue has always been an issue. My plan is to find at least four spots where a small diameter bolt can be installed and sealed with 5200 and hold the entire insulation panel with some 1”W flat long aluminum bars.
I had thought about something similar but was worried the through bolts and aluminum bar would transmit vibration to the hull, defeating the purpose of the soundproofing.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Your sole is likely a cored sandwich right? Just use big fender washers and screws after you glue it.
Good idea. I will check if cockpit sole is cored. However, As noted above, I would prefer to find a glue or adhesive that works as I think the mechanical fasteners may compromise the soundproofing effectiveness. The installation instructions seem to stress that there shouldn’t be any direct route for sound waves to be transmitted Out of the engine compartment. Or perhaps I’m being overly concerned?
I noticed online that there is two sided tape that is used to permanently attach acoustic tiles to wallboard etc. Anybody have any experience with this. Or with perhaps a tile or flooring adhesive?
Old 07-09-2020, 12:02   #8

Boat: Sabre 402

We glued the aluminum anchors that came in the soundproofing kit with epoxy. They've held for about eight years now.
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:11   #9

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by osprey877 View Post
Good idea. I will check if cockpit sole is cored. However, As noted above, I would prefer to find a glue or adhesive that works as I think the mechanical fasteners may compromise the soundproofing effectiveness. The installation instructions seem to stress that there shouldn’t be any direct route for sound waves to be transmitted Out of the engine compartment. Or perhaps I’m being overly concerned?

Yes, I believe you are over thinking it.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 12:22   #10

Is there room to build a U-shaped piece of support, such as 3 pieces of wood, and install (in 2 separate places) upside down so the middle of the U is against the foam on the ceiling? Just trying to think of a way to avoid holes thru the F/G.
Bullshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
insulation