Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2005, 03:17   #1

Boat: Cape Dory 28, "Night Wind"
installing portlights in the V-berth

We are planning to install opening portlights in the V-berth of our "new to us" 36' Nomade. The actual installation should be pretty straight forward ... my concern is any compromise of the structural integrity of the hull ... would like to hear opinions from all on the forum who have knowledge about this.

L S/V Eva Luna

Bob & Lynn
Wahoo Sails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:22   #2

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Are you talk about installing them in the side of the hull??

If so, I would not recommend it. Going through a rough sea will pound (hydraulic) those portals and they will probably start to leak. It would be like shooting a high pressure hose at them.

They would have to be high quality portals (submarine quality), bronze framed ports for their strength. And you would need to seal the core of the hull before the installation.

Go online and look at a bunch of pictures of offshore vessels. I'll bet you will not find any with a portal in the V-berths. If anything, it would most likely be in the forward stateroom head much farther aft.

If up on deck, make sure they're strong enough to stand on (jump on)............................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 11:36   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Is this fibreglass?
As Delmarrey suggested, they have to be a port designed to take that sort of pounding. Remember, one cubic metre of water is a Tonne. Then throw that against the hull at speed. It is quite an impact. They are available though, and it can be done. I would suggest you talk to manufacturers of ports and see what type they suggest, NOT to a supplier that will sell you his flavour of the month. The manufacturer could probably help further with installation advice as well.
My advice is, you may want a yard to carry this out if you are a novice at glass work. What you will have to do, is build up the area around the edge of the port, to stop flexing and allow greater holding power with either bolts or screws, as You will most likely find the hull thin at the area you wish to mount the port.
Good luck

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 16:51   #4

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
CSY 44 has portals in the hull in the v-berth. They have been there for thousands of miles on many boats without problems. A couple of years ago, I installed ports in the aft cabin of my vessel and learned of the various qualities of ports. Ports for use below the hull deck joint is much sturdier and will withstand the demands placed upon it.
Jim

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2005, 23:17   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Jentine once whispered in the wind:
CSY 44 has portals in the hull in the v-berth. They have been there for thousands of miles on many boats without problems.
Yes Sir, and you'll notice they are reinforce metal framed, bolted all the way thru with backing frames. Those old style portals are not cheap. One of the many qualities of the CSY.
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
portlights