Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2018, 22:53   #31

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Re: Installing a solar vent fan

I installed a solar fan over our composting head. It seems to move the air enough to help desiccate the toilet material and keep the air fresh in the head. I usually run vent-out mode, not suck-in mode. It doesn't seem to leak from rain or waves, but if a vent is going to leak it is probably best to be into the head. I don't remember the brand I'll look tomorrow and post an update.

I'm installing another solar vent to push clean air in and rid of the aft cabin of diesel engine smell... time will tell if it works.
Old 01-07-2018, 23:02   #32

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sos View Post
So what make would advocates of solar fans recommend?
Our rear cabins are where the diesel engines are located, under the berths, and I want to remove the engine smell, while and after they have been run.
I have mushroom vents elsewhere that are great for ventilation but not sure they would remove the smell so well, so thinking the solar fans on extract would work?
Hi, my fans are Marinco fans, I have found that the newer ones that I installed to replace those that were failing due to disintegrating plastic are failing quite quickly, one failed solar panel and one motor. Nice concept shame about the execution.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 06:08   #33

Boat: 1993 Catalina 34

With the help of a friend, I installed the solar vent fan this past weekend. It took all of 45 minutes and went in without a hitch. The only problem is that I underestimated the length of the bolts for mounting the flange to the hatch. I figured I needed 3/4" stainless steel bolts. It really should be 1 1/2". I'll fix that later this week.

Another note: Marinco could do a much better job with their mounting instructions. I couldn't figure out how this was going to mount to the hatch because the screw on flange would only go so far leaving a gap of about 1 1/2" between the flange and the bottom of the fan. It turns out that there are two screw on flanges. I would never have known that had I not called their customer service line. It's certainly not in the instructions.
daviddiscenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:01   #34

Boat: C&C 29 MkI

Well one thing for sure, you are gonna get lots of experience installing these things as they last from 24 to 36 months and then pack it in. After four replacements we refurbed the hatch back to original and bought a decent opening port from New Found Mettle. Problem solved......
fdr14127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 10:16   #35

Boat: Colegate 26

Is there a fan product that fills an entire hatch opening? Basically like a box fan, where you open the hatch and then snap this thing into place. Seems it could be good for rapidly exchanging the air below.
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:02   #36

Boat: Manta 42 Mk II

I installed 4 solar fans on my Manta catamaran, one in each bow hatch pulling air in and one in each salon hatch pushing air out. You couldn't feel much air moving, but they definitely kept the cabin cooler. I sealed them with silicone that is safe for the hatch material.
WantTo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 11:03   #37

Boat: 1993 Catalina 34

Even if that is the case for me, I'll only have to screw out the old unit and screw in the new one....assuming the dimensions remain the same.
daviddiscenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 12:11   #38

Boat: Seidelmann 299 30

I have two one drawing in and one drawing out separate ends of boat. Very good for preventing dampness and mold in closed boat.
louisstubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 06:26   #39
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Yea, one has to remember that if the boat is all sealed up, trying to exhaust air, while not allowing air in from another location, simply won’t work. A solar vent at one end with an open port at the other is good. A push me pull you arrangement with two solar fans is awesome. Just remember to put the exhaust fan in the head, so humidity and smell isn’t drawn into the rest of the boat.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:43   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

These things move so little air that it won’t matter if a boat is closed up.
No boat is that airtight they aren’t submarines.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 09:42   #41
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
These things move so little air that it won’t matter if a boat is closed up.
No boat is that airtight they aren’t submarines.
My boat is much more fresh when the solar fan is running than when shut off. If one is not getting satisfactory results for a solar fan, remembering that it is not and never will be a 120 CFM exhaust fan, then the installation or application is likely faulty.

Our solar fan is running right now, keeping our boat fresh and mold free. When we want serious ventilation we open all 10 opening ports, 2 hatches with breeze booster on the bow, companion way hatch screens, 2 dorades open, and both Caframo sciroccos running high speed.

Sometimes I think expectations for a solar fan to move serious air are a little ridiculous. It’s run on a single solar cell folks, give it a break.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar