Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-11-2020, 05:40   #1

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Installing a deck hatch

I have had a leaking deck hatch over the aft cabin.

I've taken it out and am about to re-install it. I've measured the hatch diagonally two ways and it is exactly square. The deck is also exactly flat.

I have Sikaflex as well as butyl tape. When I installed the hatch initially I used Sikaflex but this time I'll use butyl tape.

Should I tighten up the bolts fairly firmly straight away? I suppose I should squeeze sikaflex into the bolt holes to stop leaking down the threads?

Thanks in advance
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 07:19   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Installing a deck hatch

Put the hatch in place, then wait until the goo has set, then torque it. That way you get a compression gasket made of goo rather than simply a seal.
Old 19-11-2020, 08:23   #3

Boat: Trlåren 31

There's no need to wait for the "goo to set" if you're using Butyl Tape.
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2020, 17:02   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Put the hatch in place, then wait until the goo has set, then torque it. That way you get a compression gasket made of goo rather than simply a seal.

Thank you: that's what I'll do. (I always value your advice!)
Old 20-11-2020, 09:53   #5

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

you could also add a small silicone rubber spacer (1/8") to the inside of your bead. That way when you do tighten down you can't squeeze all the goo out.

I'm doing 2 deck hatches today and going with butyl tape. Faster, easier, way less messy, easy to remove in the future and does a great job. If you do go butyl tape get the good stuff from MaineSail. It is light years ahead of the junk you find in the big box stores or marine chandleries.
https://shop.marinehowto.com/products
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 10:22   #6

We made fiberglass rings, slightly larger than the hatch flange both inside and out and about 3/4" thick. The rings were either epoxied to the deck or caulked with UV4000 to the deck. The hatch flanges were caulked to the upper ring surface. were We have not had leaks since.

In our case we were trying to get the hatch flange above a teak deck. Before, the water that invariably sits under the teak, usually found it's way under the hatch flange.

Even if you don't have teak on top of the fiberglass deck, the rings stiffen the region under the hatch flange reducing movement and caulk stress.
Locquatious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 10:26   #7

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

I like to use a heat gun to soften it and help it set, screw down gently and follow up a few times in the next few days to screw down further and it will seal well and last a long, long time.
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 11:48   #8

Boat: Farrier F-41

I suggest you run a good bead of silicone and then partially clamp it down before it sets. This will allow the silicone to seal everywhere ( no voids). Once set you should then torque as needed.
Or use butyl tape - it’s a better solution. It will stay somewhat flexible, and will continue to squeeze out over time.
Gmcgyvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 16:41   #9

Boat: Ericson 35-2

never ever ever EVER use silicone on fiberglass surfaces
sailortype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 21:19   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmcgyvr View Post
I suggest you run a good bead of silicone and then partially clamp it down before it sets. This will allow the silicone to seal everywhere ( no voids). Once set you should then torque as needed.
Or use butyl tape - it’s a better solution. It will stay somewhat flexible, and will continue to squeeze out over time.

I think when I've used Sikaflex previously I probably have had voids and if water can find a way through it will.This time I will use butyl.

I wonder whether water wicks past the rubber seal? Previously I have used Vaseline on the rubber and it seams to help.

Thanks everyone for your advice.
Old 21-11-2020, 06:23   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I have used a vinyl foam tape that is double stick on my large forehatch and 12 years later, I have never had a leak from that hatch.

Very easy and neat to work with.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 11:10   #12
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Sikaflex is a brand not a product. When you say Sikaflex it is like saying 3M, or Permatex, it tells us nothing.
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 04:55   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
Sikaflex is a brand not a product. When you say Sikaflex it is like saying 3M, or Permatex, it tells us nothing.

I use Sikaflex 11FC when I just want seal something and Sikaflex 291 when I want a strong adhesive for (say) a through hull fitting.

Sikaflex 11FC sealant can be used as an elastic adhesive for assembling metal-framed structures, acoustic ceiling tiles, floor mouldings and sills, cover plates, covings, window and door frames and lightweight building materials.

And I use Sikaflex 291

Sikaflex®-291 is a multipurpose product for use in marine constructions. It is suitable for making elastic, vibration-resistant joint seals, and can also be used for a variety of interior sealing applications.

They appear almost identical. But I'd use 291 where the joint was permanent.

Maybe I better make sure I am using the right product? Thanks
Old 22-11-2020, 05:24   #14

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locquatious View Post
We made fiberglass rings, slightly larger than the hatch flange both inside and out and about 3/4" thick. The rings were either epoxied to the deck or caulked with UV4000 to the deck. The hatch flanges were caulked to the upper ring surface. were We have not had leaks since.

In our case we were trying to get the hatch flange above a teak deck. Before, the water that invariably sits under the teak, usually found it's way under the hatch flange.

Even if you don't have teak on top of the fiberglass deck, the rings stiffen the region under the hatch flange reducing movement and caulk stress.
This is the best advice. Make that raised lip to really reduce your reliance on the seal also.

I made flush hatches for looks and regret it. The drains get clogged up all the time and then they overflow.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 08:33   #15

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
sikaflex 291 seems best for sealing hatches and windows and bedding deck stuff. It has enough adhesive to create a durable bond yet be easier to clean and re-bed items like hatches and windows that experience a lot of flex and salt spray that will need re-bedding every 5 years or so.

295 UV is a more aggressive sealant, color fast and resistant to UV degradation, better for more permanent installations such as bedding windows into frames.

To be clear, a window can leak when the sealant fails between the window and the frame, or the frame and the cabin/deck (typically fiberglass). I use 291 for the latter, 295 for the former (on vertical surfaces... I prefer Butyl for horizontal surfaces, such as bedding a hatch to the deck).

I'm not a pro, just a long time owner of multiple 80's era boats that always need love!

Confession- I use silicone to seal stubborn leaks in areas where I won't be able to re-bed anytime soon (such as the toerail) or a window that I intend to replace. It is really, really hard to remove all traces when going back to replace or re-bed, but I've done it enough times I'm comfortable doing so, it just takes a LOT of patience (and sharp razor blades).
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deck, hatch