Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2017, 14:36   #1

Install Full Size Fridge In Older Cat?

Flame all you want, I just finished a charter on a Bali 4.5 and having a full size house fridge on a boat was fantastic. Not only was the space amazing, but the actual refrigeration and lack of frosting was better than any marine equivalent (large or small) i've been on.

Has anyone ever heard of someone retrofitting a full size refrigerator inside a 2000-2010 cat? A Bali 4.5 isn't in a my price range, but adding one to a Leopard 46 or a Lagoon 440 might be if it wouldn't completely dominate the interior. How bout a 3/4 size fridge?

I'm not interested in discussing efficiency, or how using an inverter will create extra draw, or how a cold plate is better. Those are all things I can think through, but what I have trouble seeing is how one might fit or look inside a cat that wasn't designed around one.
jgw50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 14:40   #2

Re: Install Full Size Fridge In Older Cat?

Here's some glamor shots of the boat in the Sea Of Cortez...
Attached Files
jgw50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 19:30   #3

I've got the same question - we sailed a Bali 5.4 and the full size refrigeratorS were fabulous. I was wondering if a full size could be fit into a Lagoon or FP, how best to accomplish. And, in the case of the Bali, what is involved if (when) the refrigerator eventually fails to replace it...
EarlRaynal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2024, 20:14   #4

Boat: Current yacht:Alden 46, previous yachts:Cavalier 32, Joshua steel ketch -12m, Traveller 32,Rawson 30

Old time innovative cruiser Shelly DeRider on the 48ft bilge keel monohull Magic Dragon had a full-sized multi-fuel absorptive type fridge running on propane installed in the galley. It was gimballed and had a shock-absorber from an old Mini attached so it didn't swing wildly. It worked a treat. The new owners of Magic Dragon are still using that fridge which must be about 45 years old by now. Installing a domestic mains voltage AC fridge in a large cat shouldn't be a problem and you can run it off an inverter.
nuku34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 05:41   #5

Great to know! Anything is possible with some creative thinking...
EarlRaynal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2024, 13:47   #6

Boat: Razzle Dazzle - 61ft Simpson / Crowther Daggerboard Cat ‘93

We replaced our complex 12v system with a modern full size house fridge on Razzle Dazzle. Uses less power and costs $300. When it dies, we'll replace it.
No frost, condensation, a light, all the modern things.
The inverter on 24/7 is no big deal when right sized. On testing it ran fine on a 300w inverter (though we normally don't do that).
Boat fridges are essentially a small inverter anyway, and most have poor efficiency despite thick insulation. Turns out 50 years of pushing efficiency numbers has worked well.
nfbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2024, 02:23   #7
Sos

Boat: Woods Flica catamaran

We also run a household fridge via 240V inverter. It was about quarter the price of an equivalent marine fridge, so cheap to replace.
We got a larder fridge without an icebox which saves on power.
Going to fit a small countertop freezer this year which can be run when needed, separately to the fridge.
Sos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2024, 07:01   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgw50 View Post
Flame all you want, I just finished a charter on a Bali 4.5 and having a full size house fridge on a boat was fantastic. Not only was the space amazing, but the actual refrigeration and lack of frosting was better than any marine equivalent (large or small) i've been on.

Has anyone ever heard of someone retrofitting a full size refrigerator inside a 2000-2010 cat? A Bali 4.5 isn't in a my price range, but adding one to a Leopard 46 or a Lagoon 440 might be if it wouldn't completely dominate the interior. How bout a 3/4 size fridge?

I'm not interested in discussing efficiency, or how using an inverter will create extra draw, or how a cold plate is better. Those are all things I can think through, but what I have trouble seeing is how one might fit or look inside a cat that wasn't designed around one.

That sounds like a game-changer! While it's not a common retrofit, it's definitely doable with some modifications. Consider consulting with a marine engineer or experienced boat builder for structural advice. Good luck with your project!
Oxibstro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2024, 13:05   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

hanse 495/505/ have full size fridge drawer, i think is 2 meter high or liter more. but i like 1/3 deep freezer 1/3 fridge 1/3 vine fridge on top with glass door
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2024, 13:41   #10

My Catamaran had a "normal fridge on it. Didn't like it at all. It iced up badly, even after replacing door seals. When you open a big door, a lot of air gets in.
Maybe a few days on a charter is different than living aboard.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
size