Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2022, 00:40   #1

Inlet opening ports in portlights?

My new to me 1984 catalina 30 has no opening ports except for those on the deck. I see a lot of boats with openings set into larger portlights and am looking for info on this job.

Need anything special or is it simply a matter of cutting the opening and mounting/sealing the port?

I know acrylic can be a pain to work with, but aside from that, what should I know?

Grazi...
soopad00pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 01:25   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Inlet opening ports in portlights?

Atkins & Hoyle, Beckson, Bomar, Davey & Co, Lewmar, New Found Metals, Vetus, and probably more, all make opening port lights.
I wouldn't fit a portlight, into an existing [larger] portlight.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 01:31   #3

I've found a bunch of ports online. The portlights in my boat are large, asymmetrical bits of plexi or acrylic just screwed and sealed in place. I don't think there's any way to add ports without setting them into the existing portlights.

Well, other than pulling the plexi and fiberglassing that area and then adding a port. That seems....suboptimal. And I've for sure seen lots of opening ports set into larger portlights...
Old 13-01-2022, 03:32   #4

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Hey soopadoopa !

I have also seen plenty of boats with big plexiglass/acrylic windows that have an opening port set into them. Hunter and Catalina do it all the time.

I would think the difficulty in doing it yourself is getting the cut done without cracking the window. I have zero tips for you on that. I think if I was doing it I would remove the window and take it somewhere !

I suppose it could reduce the overall strength of the window too, something to consider.

I think it might be easier to just add 1 or 2 more small hatches to the cabin top, and add some more fans.

Old 13-01-2022, 04:06   #5

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopad00pa View Post
My new to me 1984 catalina 30 has no opening ports except for those on the deck. I see a lot of boats with openings set into larger portlights and am looking for info on this job.

Need anything special or is it simply a matter of cutting the opening and mounting/sealing the port?

I know acrylic can be a pain to work with, but aside from that, what should I know?

Grazi...

It is simply a matter of cutting the hole and mounting the port. You’re correct.

However, you want to take care not to scratch the window. A lot of people tape around the cut for that. That wastes a lot of time and tape. I tape the jigsaw instead.

You absolutely need to get a blade that will cut your plastic window material smoothly and evenly without it grabbing (and potentially cracking) the material or melting the material. Since I use polycarbonate, I’ll leave others to comment on the best blades.

Your opening port can only be added to a flat surface, so hopefully these aren’t curved windows on this boat. If they are, you have to make a trim ring to flatten the curve. (Note pandemic humor creeping in)

You will likely also do better with a trim ring on the non-opening side of the installation to help pull the plastic window material up snug to the new port and
Give your screws something to bite into.

A pretty straightforward job.

Don’t listen to all the “can’t do” attitude posts you’ll probably get. The Fear factor runs really high here. A lot of people here are frightened about doing things yourself. But, there is also a solid core of people here who are absolute geniuses with tips and tricks for all sorts of jobs.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 04:08   #6
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

you are stuck with the catalina. i would not cut into the plexiglass. your decision.
Old 13-01-2022, 04:16   #7

Boat: Tartan 40

+1 on Chotu’s advice. I doubt they have astrophysicists installing opening ports in windows at Beneteau, Catalina, etc. Just have the right tool. And know where to get a replacement sheet of acrylic if you crack it doing this
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 05:23   #8

Thanks. I'm pretty DIY, so I'm gonna do the job regardless. It's just a matter of how it turns out in the end.

Appreciate any and all tips. I'm considering roughing the hole out with a router and finishing it with a sanding drum just to avoid the chattering that comes with a jigsaw. Anyone gone this route?

I think most of the ports I've looked at use some kinda trim ring sandwich system. I'm figuring that plus butyl tape, ja?
Old 13-01-2022, 13:19   #9

Boat: Lagoon 400

As per posts above:
Tape your jigsaw foot.
Mark out the cut area and slowly drill pilot holes for jigsaw entry and turns.
Cut with jigsaw with metal blade, Slow speed, within cut lines.
Finish with router, taking your time so no melting, only millling of material
Install opening port.
Drink a cold one, while enjoying fresh air flow.
OldGreyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 20:05   #10

Boat: Hinckley 49, Evening Star, originally owned by Lawrence Rockefeller

Always want what you don’t have, I have 12 opening ports and I’m in the process of making them non opening.
Reason being is the slightest water on deck and water comes in.
At the bar and a rain squall comes
Asleep in the bunk and heavy dew drips on your head
Even after closing the things leak sometimes
My only suggestion is to be aware what is under the port light.
Markhunter1097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2022, 22:21   #11

Good point. Hopefully I'll do a good enough job I won't be building a swimming pool!
Old 13-01-2022, 23:42   #12

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

I met a guy on the waterfront while I was trying to sell a water lift muffler. Turned out he hired me to fiberglass the large fixed port light on a Moody 31 and cut an opening for an opening port light. It wasn't that big a job. An afternoon or half day. I don't remember how we made the cabin side flat to match the existing surface but the outcome was fine. Strong and didn't look like a hack job done by an amateur. One of the benefits of fiber glassing the cabin side is you get a stronger product. The original acrylic is likely some years old and will often fail at the wrong moment. Up to you how you want to proceed. My 2 cents, Foufou
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 06:54   #13

Boat: Tartan 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by foufou View Post
I met a guy on the waterfront while I was trying to sell a water lift muffler. Turned out he hired me to fiberglass the large fixed port light on a Moody 31 and cut an opening for an opening port light. It wasn't that big a job. An afternoon or half day. I don't remember how we made the cabin side flat to match the existing surface but the outcome was fine. Strong and didn't look like a hack job done by an amateur. One of the benefits of fiber glassing the cabin side is you get a stronger product. The original acrylic is likely some years old and will often fail at the wrong moment. Up to you how you want to proceed. My 2 cents, Foufou

Yes but changing port/window sizes on cabin trunk can greatly alter a boats appearance. It’s amazing how I always find modified windows on a boat ugly compared to original.
I’d be curious how the Moody looked before/after. And yes function is probably more important but….
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 08:01   #14

Boat: San Juan 21

If possible, please take before and after pics and post when job is completed. Thanks.
Herb Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2022, 17:12   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 51
Smile Re: Inlet opening ports in portlights?

Having replaced all 9 large windows on my gulfstar 51 and then replaced all 14 of the portlights with new found metals opening ports, i can tell you from experience that it can be done by the layman-- i cut all of mine with a jigsaw then smoothed it with a drum sander. i have not seen a port put into a window- i suppose it could be done but i dont think i would- keep in mind that that opening and closing of the port is going to put some load on the windows in a way that they were not designed for-- if it were me i think i would look at adding a couple of dorades on the deck- -not an easier project but i think perhaps a more forgiving one in terms of mistakes etc- also would have the advantage of having a lot less likely chance of modifying the boats appearance in a negative way YOUR BOAT YOUR TIME YOUR MONEY YOUR CHOICE BEST OF L;UCK TO YOU
Madehn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
portlights, ports