Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2021, 21:46   #1

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy
Injectadeck

https://injectadeck.com/about/

“Injectadeck is a carefully engineered structural marine foam and adhesive that cures hard as wood, quickly and easily repairing soft spots on your boat’s fiberglass deck caused by rot of the underlying core.”

Has anyone here used this product? What did you think of it? Are there certain situations where something like this is just what the doctor ordered?

Over the last year or two I’ve read what info I’ve been able to find about it, which isn’t very much.

The purpose of the thread is not to have a general debate of opinion over the mere idea of such a treatment.

I’m hoping to hear actual impressions from anyone who has actual first or second hand experience with the stuff. Thanks!!
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 22:05   #2

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Re: Injectadeck

Did you search this site?
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2021, 22:10   #3

Oh yes definitely many times, and trawlers forum, and I’ve read the Practical Sailor article, etc. I don’t remember seeing anything much here from people who had actually used it.
Old 19-08-2021, 05:09   #4

Boat: 1968 Columbia 50

I tried it, and I don't know if it was me or the product, but it didn't work out too well. I wound up ripping up the deck and replacing the core anyways. It might work in some circumstances, but not in mine. I still have the gun if your interested..
Old 19-08-2021, 06:09   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

It's a 10-pound urethane foam with about 110 psi shear strength and 220 psi compressive strength, depending on expansion room. By no stretch of the imagination is it as hard as wood. Also remember, that what every you inject--epoxy, foam, or other-- the rotten core is still in there and the bonding surfaces are covered in mulch. How good a bond would you expect?

Yes, I have used it, but only on a SUP I found on the rocks.
Old 19-08-2021, 06:36   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

If you've got a small area of deck with water intrusion/rot you may be able to scrape it out between the layers of fiberglass, at which point you might as well fill the space with epoxy. If you've got a bigger area, then removing the fiberglass under the rotted area in order to get the rot out then leaves you with an area you can reinforce with really strong stuff, such as an aluminum plate. I don't see injecting foam as a viable option.

Yeah, I haven't used it. But then, what I'm saying is that I wouldn't.
Old 19-08-2021, 06:56   #7

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

I wonder, if the core is really rotten, could you force water or some other fluid through a series of holes to wash out the dissolving bits of core gunk, then dry it out with airflow or a vacuum pump? Then inject foam? Probably not a whole lot less work than just cutting it open, but if you could get enough of the old core out and dry things enough for good adhesion, it just might work.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2021, 20:52   #8

Thanks for the replies!

98% of the comments I’ve read about injectadeck on this forum are either from people with (valid) speculations about why it could not work, or people just trying to find info from anyone who has actually used it. There is a thread on trawlers forum by a fellow who used it a year or two ago and is very happy with it. But not much else out there.

There is one spot on my boat deck where I could imagine it working, and I could write about the specifics of that sometime and why in my imagination ‘maybe’ the foam might work well for that particular situation, but speculating about that wasn’t meant to be the main point of the thread, because it’s just that... speculating, and I can do that on my own time, FWIW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Siren View Post
I still have the gun if your interested..
Ha ha. I actually sort of am thanks, but since we are on different sides of the border I’m sure it’s not worth the trouble at all .

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
. the rotten core is still in there and the bonding surfaces are covered in mulch. How good a bond would you expect?
I don’t have any expectations of anything at all. I do have a fair amount of experience with polyurethane foam and gorilla glue though, and I can say that it sticks like crazy to damp surfaces.
But a high degree of structural strength isn’t necessarily what I am going for in my case. What if I just want to fill the mulchy gap?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I wonder... if you could get enough of the old core out and dry things enough for good adhesion, it just might work.
This stuff plays very well with moisture- actually requires it to work.
Old 19-08-2021, 22:59   #9

Tuned my search terms better and found two more good threads on the subject tonight, on other forums.

https://ericsonyachts.org/ie/threads...riences.17794/

https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating...ra-tips-2.html
Old 24-08-2021, 10:53   #10

Boat: Allweather 26

I used Gorilla Glue to fix a couple of deck areas that were delaminating. The glue reacts with water to cure and foams a bit. So far it has worked out well.
fritzdfk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 11:02   #11

Boat: 41' Morgan Out Island Ketch

It was used on my boat by the prior owner. The coring on the deck was only rotten in certain areas. He used a piece of wire through a small hole he drilled and fished out as much rotten material as he could then vacuumed it out and let it dry real well. Then he used the inject a deck and let harden, trimmed off excess and fared and filled with epoxy filler. My decks are firm. No soft spots that we have noticed at all.
Old 24-08-2021, 11:05   #12

“Injectadeck is a carefully engineered structural marine foam and adhesive that cures hard as wood,

For a split second I read that as injectadick.... Never mind.
EngineerRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2021, 22:12   #13

But could it work...?
Shudder...
Old 25-08-2021, 08:01   #14

For now I’ve ordered a batch of gorilla glue to repair the one annoying spot as I can get it closer to home and I’m running out of time. In my case it’s not really a structural issue because there is plenty of structure in that spot and lots of room for me to add more support if I ever needed to. I just want to fill that little void. I’m hesitant to drop another thousand dollar bill on a few cans of mystery foam I have to wait several weeks for.

Thanks kindly for all the replies and I’m still very curious about injectadeck. I did talk to the company owner briefly but I think he’s on vacation or at least of good internet range. I hope to hear back from him as well someday
Old 25-08-2021, 08:39   #15

I’m also going to pick up a tube of PL Premium today if I can find one, and experiment around with it on some ‘simulated rotten deck core’. PL premium is another polyurethane glue. It has sort of a fudge-like consistency from what I remember of using it in the past. It does expand somewhat.

Tags
deck