Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2011, 10:19   #1

Improving Bottom Paint

I know some of you will think this is a dumb question but if you don't ask? I understand that the anti fouling is basisd a lot on the copper contine of the paint. I've also been told that adding pepper as some people say to do is a waste and doesn't work to increase the anti fouling properties. What since copper seems to be the main thing what about taking a wheel grinder and some copper tubing grinding up a bunch of copper dust and adding it to the paint to increase the anti fouling properties? I'm sure it would change the color some but for the most part it's under water anyway. Just a thought, has anyone tried this?
lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 10:34   #2

Re: Improving Bottom paint

You'd need to get the grindings real fine.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 11:41   #3
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The problem with adding is that the copper contents is basically at the maximum that the binding properties of the paint support. If you add more, the paint falls apart so to say.

p.s. I did see some results from cayenne pepper that were promising.

ciao!
Nick.
s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 12:05   #4
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

I find it amusing when kitchen-sink chemists think they can improve a product that has decades and millions of dollars of R&D behind it. If "improving" anti fouling paint were as easy as adding peppers or copper filings to it, it would be common practice. But it's not. Because it doesn't work.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 12:38   #5

Boat: Still Looking

From what I understand, there is legislation in certain countries that governs the maximum copper content for environmental reasons. So as I understand it, you could add copper and it should work. It just might or might not be legal depending on where you are.
SPARK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 12:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARK View Post
From what I understand, there is legislation in certain countries that governs the maximum copper content for environmental reasons. So as I understand it, you could add copper and it should work. It just might or might not be legal depending on where you are.
Right on, and some TBT if you can find it! I've wondered if dissolving some "moss away" copper/fungicide based house roof granules might be an improvement!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 13:12   #7

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

Doesn't the pepper make the whales sneeze??
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 14:53   #8

Boat: PETERSON 44
I'm thinking about grinding up old Teflon pots and adding that to the mix. There have been some resin and. Opera dust experiment with bottom applications. I don't think most have had dramatic results
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 14:56   #9
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Bear in mind that if you modify an anti fouling paint and the paint subsequently fails (regardless of cause), you will get nothing but a pleasant wave goodbye from the manufacturer.
Old 14-11-2011, 15:26   #10
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Bear in mind that if you modify an anti fouling paint and the paint subsequently fails (regardless of cause), you will get nothing but a pleasant wave goodbye from the manufacturer.

What do you get otherwise
Old 14-11-2011, 15:33   #11
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
What do you get otherwise
Good point.
Old 14-11-2011, 15:36   #12

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

I met a guy who was living a real shoestring alternative lifestyle. He claimed he had a vet friend who gave him 'horse antibiotics', whatever that may be, which he mixed in and got 3 years out of his AF.
This was after the legislation changed in Aus and the early relpacement product was lucky to give you a year.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 15:47   #13

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid

Quote:
He claimed he had a vet friend who gave him 'horse antibiotics', whatever that may be, which he mixed in and got 3 years out of his AF.
Could have been something like Duramycin (in the tetracycline group); it is water soluble and mixed with a paint could in theory have some benifit as the paint wears. It costs around $22/lbs.

I don't really advocate such a way of going about improving paint, but who knows. There might be something to it.
Old 14-11-2011, 21:17   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Improving Bottom Paint

If you want better bottom paint spend a few dollars more and buy a paint with a soft growth biocide in addition to copper. These would be Interlux paints with Biolux or Pettit paints with Ingarol. Other paint companies use similar biocides. These are the chemicals that the paint companies came up with to replace Tri Buytl Tin. If you are using Trinidad now switch to Trinidad SR, you'll see a dramatic improvement in how long your boats bottom stays clean.
Old 14-11-2011, 21:43   #15

Boat: Transpac 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
I met a guy who was living a real shoestring alternative lifestyle. He claimed he had a vet friend who gave him 'horse antibiotics', whatever that may be, which he mixed in and got 3 years out of his AF.
This was after the legislation changed in Aus and the early relpacement product was lucky to give you a year.
Maybe he was talking about this stuff?

Check out this thread on CF. It seems that this research is still in the investigative stage in Europe, however the results are very promising. I personally will try out a few test strips when I get back to AUS.

Bloke

Tags
bottom paint, paint