Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-02-2021, 10:01   #1

Boat: Alajuela Crealock 37
If the painted old aluminum LaFiell mast is

functional, then do I need to repaint it? Paint looks a little old but mast “works”.
1979 Crealock.
AmzngGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 10:48   #2

Boat: Owner built 60’ Aluminum Expedition Yacht.
Re: If the painted old aluminum LaFiell mast is

Photos of where things attach will help. Last time pulled. Bubbles near stainless.
Rigging age. What about mast heel.
Just need a bit more info please.
Mark and sleeping crew
Manateeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 21:57   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Without seeing any of it, I'll confine myself to remarking that if it is out of the boat now, it is easier to do all the work on it, rather than going aloft to do it. If it has bubbling, then it is best to clean up those areas carefully, and do something to stop that localized dissimilar metals corrosion. If you then re-prime and paint the spots, it's going to look a bit like a snow leopards tail. You can try cut and polish, but matching whites can be difficult. It depends on what shape it is in, finally. My Jim did a single pot polyurethane paint job on his Yankee 30's mast, from the bosun's chair. So it can be done, and it looked really good from 10 ft. away, but it was not perfect. How much of a perfectionist are you?

I have seen some masts assembled with s/s bands that were not isolated, and the pitting so deep the mast required sistering. So, really best to remove fittings where there is bubbling, and then see what can be done.

Ann
Old 13-02-2021, 08:12   #4

Boat: Alajuela Crealock 37

Thank you all.
It looks crappy.
Bubbling yes.
Mention has been made as to the re-painting and I get that, barely acceptable job vs better job based on doing it aloft or getting mast down, etc. What I am not clear about is the issue with the dissimilar metals. I think I can eventually get the mast down and clean up bubbling whether I remove items or clean up around them. That will be a question as well so...
Assuming mast is taken down the questions are:
1. Is cleaning up bubbling AROUND problem areas sufficient or do I really need to remove ALL items?
2. Other than either cleaning up bubbling with/without removing other metal attachments first, is there anything else that is necessary to deal with the dissimilar metals attachments other than cleaning up bubbling and repainting?

See pic of boom. Note mast looks about the same.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64593CA3-5ABD-405D-881A-4D3501D3EA4E.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	420.7 KB
ID:	232455  
AmzngGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2021, 00:56   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Pic of boom looks like it would welcome prep and repainting.

It is a totally different job from the mast, because anywhere any stainless steel has been, there may be pitting. The question of interest is how much and how deep is the pitting?

Good luck with it, mate. If it is only minor, good cleanup, sealing, filling, priming and painting should make it look new. The finished product will be "well maintained." If the pits are deep, you need better counsel than mine.

Ann

Tags
aluminum, mast, paint