Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2022, 18:34   #31
SuW

Boat: 1976 Bayfield 32
Re: Ideal cleat layout in the bow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeanda View Post
Thanks for the pics. You also inspired me to post a thread just now about sideways iPhone pics. I’m assuming you’re using an iPhone? This is a simple workaround that I use to get them straight.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...nd-267678.html
Lol...not an iPhone, original pictures with a Samsung Android phone, but I downloaded the pictures from Google Photos...but I'll take a look at your link.

Putting backing plates behind the cleats on the inside of the bulwarks was an "interesting" job. It took a while. There are a lot of fasteners in there already, very restricted access - the gap is 2 inches wide inside...we used a 1/4 inch thick aluminum backing plate. I presume you could use large fender washers instead.

We also used metal for a backing plate under the foredeck to secure the windlass.
SuW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2022, 20:03   #32

Boat: Landfall 39 - Ron Amy

Let me know if my trick works with Android. Who knows…
Thanks for the info
Oeanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2022, 23:23   #33

So for now I’m running with the idea of a regular stand-alone windlass base. And a separate little wood plate on the stbd side of it to cover the old hawsehole. All (I think) to be bedded with butyl.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9DF76602-D66C-4F5A-8073-208C66C2AFEC.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	442.8 KB
ID:	263450

Name:	3F511855-8D1F-4459-A402-B7F18B4F3AB8.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	453.5 KB
ID:	263451

In the pic it is just an unfinished rough layout. I made the base out of yew. Not my first choice but it was the best choice that leapt out at me, and I’ve got lots of yew wood. The patch job is a little hokey I guess but will work fine for temporary, and leaves the options open if I want to switch windlasses again.

Now waiting on back-ordered stainless ready-rod to make 7” bolts out of.

As for the original cleat layout question- I got my 12 inch cleats in today. Hard to find space to squeeze them in on the bulwarks because of the pulpit steel being in the way of nuts on the outside, but that’s a can of worms to open in another week or two.
Increasingly excited about the idea of making a proper wood Samson post. What a lovely thing that would be to have up there.
Old 26-08-2022, 06:50   #34
SuW

I've never worked with yew wood, but it looks beautiful.

We're great fans of making something work then refining it step-by-step until you're satisfied. It's a great advantage that DIY boat repairers have over people who can afford to hire professionals. Most of the cost is your time.

We often mock things up with non-stainless fastenings, unfinished wood and so on and try it out for a while.

Same with canvas work. I'll scavenge thrown out Sunbrella and make prototypes...
Old 01-09-2022, 15:08   #35

Very good thinking SuW, and I’ve been learning that the turtle usually wins this kind of race. As for the yew- it’s lovely stuff with a nice colour. But sort of an overgrown shrub species and tends to be twisty and fickle. But for this purpose should be fine and the worst it can do to me in the short term is crack.

By strange chance, we beachcombed a nice twin bollard near our place a couple days ago. Just a tad large for the sailboat but I’m thinking it will be fun to concrete into the waterfront rocks someday, for tying whatever to.

Name:	28452ED4-7BF7-4DE9-8689-2B5D53252FB0.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	481.1 KB
ID:	263766
Old 01-09-2022, 19:01   #36
SuW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oeanda View Post
Very good thinking SuW, and I’ve been learning that the turtle usually wins this kind of race. As for the yew- it’s lovely stuff with a nice colour. But sort of an overgrown shrub species and tends to be twisty and fickle. But for this purpose should be fine and the worst it can do to me in the short term is crack.
By strange chance, we beachcombed a nice twin bollard near our place a couple days ago. Just a tad large for the sailboat but I’m thinking it will be fun to concrete into the waterfront rocks someday, for tying whatever to.
lol...you're gonna need a bigger boat! Provided you can lift the thing...
Old 01-09-2022, 21:14   #37

Busted…
I used ‘beachcombed’ very loosely. We couldn’t lift it.
But it’s right next to our place and ain’t going nowhere. We’ll slide it into the punt sometime, or float it away. Can’t let good treasure go to waste.