Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-08-2021, 11:58   #1

I need suggestions for flooring, please.

I am redoing the interior of my boat and I want to cover the ugly green painted plywood floor boards with something that looks nice, is light, hides dirt and won’t cost a fortune. I have a source for free carpet and can laminate this rubber stuff to the back of the carpet for non slip and get the edges bound so it looks nice and won’t fray. Before I do that I’d like to see if anyone has a better idea? What about that roll on epoxy coating people put on garage floors? I’ll be selling this boat so cost matters. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.😀

Thanks!
magentawave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:16   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: I need suggestions for flooring, please.

Problem with rubber backed carpet, when (not if) the floor gets wet (rainy day, spray, etc) the rubber will hold water under the carpet and pretty quickly start rotting and delaminating the plywood floor.

Paint of course the quickest, easiest, cheapest but probably not the nicest looking. I've seen boats done with parquet floor tiles. Not my favorite but easy and cheap and didn't look bad.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 12:24   #3

Boat: Bateau FS17

I have really been curious about decorative epoxy flooring for boat interiors but have not seen any... we did the floors and countertops in our house and I really like it. Everything seems like it should work fine in a boat, but there must be a reason I havent seen it yet?

This is the brand we used, but there are other brands out there as well. We did coffee base with brass and black highlights on the floor, and inversed it on the countertops with black base and coffee and brass highlights.

https://leggari.com/product/epoxy-floor-kit-15/
Narfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 13:22   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 27

I used this product on my boat's cabin floor and it's worked great three years later.

https://lonseal.com/applications/marine/
mathiasben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 13:29   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Use the stuff they put down in hospitals or schools. Won't have the teak and holly pattern, but will be tough, easy to clean and last. I saw this on one of our sister yachts and thought that's practical.

Pete
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	moody-31-huge-294074008525251a.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	243163  
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 09:35   #6

Quick and easy AND low cost is the kind of laminate flooring used in shoreside houses. It can be laid on plywood deck soles by just the same techniques you would use to lay it on plywood sub-floor in a shore side house.

It is used on kitchen and bathroom floors because it is impervious to water, and cleans beautifully with a damp mop or rag.

Careful attention to layout and shaping of the individual tongue and groove boards is required. Layout is facilitated through thinking - which is cost-free - and shaping by means of a "contractor's saw" - cheap to buy if you don't already have one. Skillsaws and jig saws do not provide sufficient accuracy for this job.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:40   #7

Boat: Lancer 44' motorsailer

I used indoor/outdoor short pile carpet squares from Lowes. Peel and stick, comes with rubber backing to help keep moisture from the substrate (and dampen engine noise). As they are squares, I was able to cut the custom sizes easily to tailor to the floor irregularities, such as having a giant lid to the engine compartment in the middle of the floor. I'm very pleased with the outcome.
skwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 10:59   #8

Boat: Baba 40

Had excellent results with PlasTeak, but it’s pricey and you can’t get small pieces. Must come off a roll at the factory.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 12:50   #9

Boat: Hunter 40.5 and C+C36

I have an1981 boat that needed a new floor. I bought a sheet of teak and holly plywood and cut panels to fit. I then coated them with a single application of table top epoxy resin. The results are spectacular with a thick epoxy coating. Expensive, but worth it.
The plywood comes 1/4" and 1/2". Perhaps you could glue the 1/4" to your floor in a way to be waterproof.
j.g.evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 13:12   #10

Boat: Peterson 35

Magenta,

Lonseal gets my vote. I've redone the sole on three boats with rhe stuff. They all look stunning and are maintaining a like-new appearance after some years of hard use. The stuff is nearly bullet-proof and is easy to clean.
partingclouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 13:13   #11

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

The original owner put down linoleum with the black mastik stuff many years ago. I had a really hard time removing it from the plywood. I figured I'd paint it temporarily and figure out something nicer later. Did a lot of cleaning, sanding, priming and then painted with non skid (light sand) paint. Then I found some nice long bathmats, with the rubber backing on of course, that also dry quickly. They are easy on bare feet and they are not slippery and they don't slide around the floor. And I have kids, so things are often spilled, or sand has been tracked in. I often just shake them out and let them dry in the sun when needed. I hate to say it, but my plans for something nicer and more nautical are on hold now. This has been so easy. Even if I put in a nice teak and holly floor, I'd most likely still cover it with these mats! Personally I'd rather buy a boat with a sole that is ready for something better, than one that has a poor floor glued down and hard to remove.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 14:59   #12

Boat: Catalina 30

I am seriously thinking about installing C-Flor flooring in my boat eventually. It lasts forever and being made up of individual strips (vs planks) allows adapting to the curves in the hull/sole easy.

I spoke at length with a reseller in Florida and they offered assistance in planning the project, and providing tips for installing.

Reseller: https://www.tampabayyachtmasters.com/interior/

YouTube guy who put it in his Catalina 30:

His two year review:

Installation:

Cheers.
sinnerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2021, 20:12   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I destroyed the original no-skid fiberglass cabin sole when adding and reinforcing the floors under the sole.

I made a template for the cabin sole and cut 3/8" bamboo plates to shape and screwed the bamboo to the original sole with bronze screws. I stained the bamboo a mahogany color and then added a matte polyurethane.

I think it looks great and goes well with the burgundy cushions in the cabin.

I got the idea to use bamboo from the long wearing cutting board in my kitchen.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:59   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by George DuBose View Post
I destroyed the original no-skid fiberglass cabin sole when adding and reinforcing the floors under the sole.

I made a template for the cabin sole and cut 3/8" bamboo plates to shape and screwed the bamboo to the original sole with bronze screws. I stained the bamboo a mahogany color and then added a matte polyurethane.

I think it looks great and goes well with the burgundy cushions in the cabin.

I got the idea to use bamboo from the long wearing cutting board in my kitchen.
Plates as in plates you eat off of?
Old 04-08-2021, 09:02   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
Use the stuff they put down in hospitals or schools. Won't have the teak and holly pattern, but will be tough, easy to clean and last. I saw this on one of our sister yachts and thought that's practical.

Pete
Do you know what that stuff is called so I can look it up? THanks.

Tags
flooring, lease