Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2011, 09:36   #1
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
I Guess This Comes Under Maintenance

Gasoline from the generator got spilled on my cabin top during the boat parade. The (old) gelcoat is bubbled up and yellow.

What would be the best thing to do? I do not have time to completely refinish the boat over this.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 09:39   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
re: I Guess This Comes Under Maintenance

why not just sand the area thats bad , Gel Coat is thick and then buff some 3M Finesse-It II Glaze -then wax !
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 09:39   #3

re: I Guess This Comes Under Maintenance

Hmmm, I'd be surprised if gas would do that to gel coat... sure it hasnt been painted? or maybe it sat wet for a long time? Gas should evaporate nearly as fast as acetone or lacquer thinner I would think....

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 10:36   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Re: I Guess This Comes Under Maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Hmmm, I'd be surprised if gas would do that to gel coat... sure it hasnt been painted? or maybe it sat wet for a long time? Gas should evaporate nearly as fast as acetone or lacquer thinner I would think....
I would agree! Gelcoat should hold up to gasoline for an extended time, unless there were cracks that it seeped into and caused a de-lamination.
Old 27-12-2011, 10:37   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Agreed.. I have Gelled the INSIDE of fuel tanks when building them
Old 27-12-2011, 11:01   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sounds like paint bubbling instead of gelcoat, unless gelcoat was poorly sprayed-- shouldnt bubble with gasoline--mine didnt. good luck.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 11:43   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post

Yes of course I'm sure it was gasoline. I was right there when it happened. I am sure it did evaporate very quickly. Nevertheless, the gelcoat is quite damaged.
Old 27-12-2011, 11:44   #8
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
I would agree! Gelcoat should hold up to gasoline for an extended time, unless there were cracks that it seeped into and caused a de-lamination.

Aha! OLD boat. OLD gel coat.
Old 27-12-2011, 13:26   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Gasoline from the generator got spilled on my cabin top during the boat parade. The (old) gelcoat is bubbled up and yellow.

What would be the best thing to do? I do not have time to completely refinish the boat over this.

So now I refine my knowledge of the problem:

The generator, a small one, was sitting on a piece of styrofoam. I'm thinking that maybe the gasoline dissolved the styrofoam and *that's* what is all over my cabin too? Ya think?

If so, what would be a good way to get it off?
Old 27-12-2011, 13:37   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
So now I refine my knowledge of the problem:

The generator, a small one, was sitting on a piece of styrofoam. I'm thinking that maybe the gasoline dissolved the styrofoam and *that's* what is all over my cabin too? Ya think?

If so, what would be a good way to get it off?
You could try using Gasoline / Petrol! (honestly!)....melted it last time .......once removed might need to sand down any staining.

FWIW, gelcoat simply doesn't bubble up from petrol.....of course you could have invented some sort of GRP eating combination of chemicals - if so, get a Patent!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 17:20   #11

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
You could try using Gasoline / Petrol! (honestly!)....melted it last time .......once removed might need to sand down any staining.
Ditto! That and a plastic ice scraper. Then some rubbing compound and polish.
Old 27-12-2011, 17:48   #12
cruiser

Quote:

FWIW, gelcoat simply doesn't bubble up from petrol.....of course you could have invented some sort of GRP eating combination of chemicals - if so, get a Patent!

This place is GREAT but no, I haven't invented any new miracle chemical. I just suddenly remembered that the generator had been sitting on styrofoam packing (it had never been used before), and when I threw it away ... it had a hole in it ... a hole with very smooth edges. You never get smooth edges if you put a hole in styrofoam mechanically.
Old 27-12-2011, 17:48   #13
cruiser

Quote:

Thank you!!
Old 28-12-2011, 03:27   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Thank you!!
Errrr.....let us know how it turns out

FWIW I would start with a small area and not flood the deck with Gas / Petrol - as will likely yellow the Gelcoat, albeit I am not sure of the timescale for that (instant? or a week? / more?). Clean up with soapy water (Washing powder (for Clothes) is my favourite (and cheap!) degreaser that also breaks down petrol and diesel from spills....again, don't start by spreading it all down the deck!

Then, if still yellowing / staining can start with gelcoat rubbing compound (or automotive T-Cut ) - but if that don't work then it's time for the Sandpaper (wet 'n' dry) - used wet!........start with something like 800 grit and then work your way down the numbers until you start shifting gelcoat / stain (dunno how thick your gelcoat is, but on the (older) boats I have done this on can be surprisingly aggressive with the hand sanding (not a belt sander though!) and seem to need to be to shift any gelcoat (it's tuff stuff!)........and then work your way back up to 800 grit (or higher) and then finish with rubbing compound and polish - downside is that will likely look a bit better than rest of deck, that difference will fade in time.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance