Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2021, 21:59   #1

Boat: Oyster 66
Hurricane Season haul out in FL or GA?

We are taking delivery of a 66" sailboat in Port Everglades in early June. We need to get rigging work done and teak decks done (2mos-4mos project) and we're trying to determine whether we should pull her out at CrackerBoy in Riviera Beach Florida or do we take her north 30 degrees to Brunswick Landing Marina.

We believe we've secured insurance with a painful deductible either way.

We have no experience being in the region during hurricane season, much less having a boat up on the hard during this time. Welcome any thoughts/advice; especially if you have experience in the summer months in either location.
MrsMeltemiWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:19   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Hurricane Season haul out in FL or GA?

You can get nailed anywhere from Texas to New York (Remember Sandy?). Hurricane season is also peak sailing season. But... A boat that size taken up one of the rivers when a hurricane approaches is relatively safe, because it is out of the wave area, away from the peak winds, and only really needs to deal with surge. For example, our boat was a mile above Carrabelle harbor at our dock during Michael. She went 9 1/2 feet up, 9 1/2 feet down, and not a scratch. The only damage was water in the radar dome.

If you are not going to be able to tend the boat, then consider dockage that is up river and tie her securely. Your boat can take damage from other boats that break loose, but you really can't protect against all possiblke risks. That'll cover most scenarios.
Old 08-05-2021, 05:24   #3

Boat: 1988 Hans Christian 33

I'm not sure that Brunswick Landing Marina has berths large enough for a 66' boat. Also, they are widely known as a "hurricane hole" marina, and the demand for berths in Aug/Sept/Oct is likely very high. If you want to keep your boat there, you should probably try to make arrangements ASAP.
Lowcountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 05:25   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Brunswick Landing is a good place to be .. but it sounds like the deciding factor is: where can you get the work done?
Old 08-05-2021, 09:21   #5

Boat: Oyster 66

Thank you! We are looking to haul her out, not leave her in the dock at that time.
MrsMeltemiWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:00   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowcountry View Post
I'm not sure that Brunswick Landing Marina has berths large enough for a 66' boat. Also, they are widely known as a "hurricane hole" marina, and the demand for berths in Aug/Sept/Oct is likely very high. If you want to keep your boat there, you should probably try to make arrangements ASAP.
$$$ and security issues..we would not recommend BLM
AA3JY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 10:21   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

BLM is a terrible choice imo. All you will do is spend at least an extra 20% surcharge location for anything done on the boat by any contractor you may need. If going in that direction I would consider St Marys GA.

Can a 66' sailboat get to Crackerboy without taking the mast down first????
Old 08-05-2021, 19:01   #8

Boat: Morgan 34

Google Tiger Point Marina and give them a call. I think they can haul it (I know there's a 60 something foot Macgregor there). I've had both my boats hauled and stored there and found them to be very fair. They specialize in hurricane preparedness for vessels on the hard. They are just inside St Mary's inlet which is easily navigable, just mind the current. And close to the charming town of Fernandina Beach. I have no financial interest there, just fond memories.

Good luck!
chriswheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 20:37   #9

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
BLM is a terrible choice imo. All you will do is spend at least an extra 20% surcharge location for anything done on the boat by any contractor you may need. If going in that direction I would consider St Marys GA.

Can a 66' sailboat get to Crackerboy without taking the mast down first????
Agree with the recommendation of St Marys, GA. The St. Marys Boat Services yard is reasonable and allows DIY. I actually go there every two weeks for a few minutes checking on a friends sailboat.
St Marys Boat Services

Crackerboy's Ft. Pierce location is a straight shot in through Ft. Pierce inlet from the Atlantic.
Old 08-05-2021, 20:41   #10

Boat: 55 fleming

There is also Thunderbolt in Savanna Ga. Why leave Ft. Lauderdale?
wesevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 20:59   #11

Boat: EDELCAT33

We are having a Niña this year, so less likely to have any meaningful hurricane activity around South Florida. In La Niña years cat 1 or cat2 in this per of Fl.
carlosproa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 02:18   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosproa View Post
We are having a Niña this year, so less likely to have any meaningful hurricane activity around South Florida. In La Niña years cat 1 or cat2 in this per of Fl.
Colorado State University hurricane researchers are predicting 17 named storms this season, eight hurricanes, and four major (Cat 3+) hurricanes.
The likely absence of El Nino is a primary factor for the above-average activity. El Nino typically causes fewer hurricanes to develop, largely due to more vertical wind shear, which tears tropical systems apart. The atmosphere is also typically more stable during El Nino patterns.
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3399642

The latest forecasts from the WMO Global Producing Centers of Long-Range Forecasts indicate a moderate likelihood (65%) that the La Niña event will continue into February-April. The odds shift rapidly thereafter, indicating a 70% chance that the tropical Pacific will return to ENSO-neutral conditions by the April-June 2021 season. The outlook for the second half of the year is currently uncertain.
https://public.wmo.int/en/our-mandat...%C3%B1a-update

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 08:05   #13

Boat: Custom 70’ pilot house

I would stay away from Crackertraz (also known as Crackerboy) unless you like to be treated poorly and robbed at the same time.
Going north to Georgia would be my choice. Hurricanes can go up all the way to NY (as we’ve experienced) but insurance wise and statistically, you’re better off north of FL.
Atraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:04   #14
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atraxia View Post
I would stay away from Crackertraz (also known as Crackerboy) unless you like to be treated poorly and robbed at the same time.
Going north to Georgia would be my choice. Hurricanes can go up all the way to NY (as we’ve experienced) but insurance wise and statistically, you’re better off north of FL.
Hey Atracia, your profile says you have a Sundeer 64 like we do... but the picture suggests otherwise?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 09:45   #15

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Colorado State University hurricane researchers are predicting 17 named storms this season, eight hurricanes, and four major (Cat 3+) hurricanes...
But to be fair Gord, that's one of the spring predictions when the meteorologists have only rolled dice, drawn straws and cut cards; the guesses predictions that they make around June after tossing the coins and playing paper-rock-scissors are usually a better guide.

Tags
boat yard, haul out, hurricane