Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2015, 10:53   #61
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Re: Hull painting with Roller and Tipping

If you can, it would be great to get a Paint Rep down to inspect boat and confirm that your base preparation is acceptable (from a warranty standpoint)

It sure will be nice to get your base primer on!

Yes sandblasting is not popular, which is why they mostly do at night under a big tarp.

I
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1447872354353.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	113280   Click image for larger version

Name:	1447872428957.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	113281  

Name:	1447872632326.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	113282   Click image for larger version

Name:	1447872680343.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	113283  

Name:	1447872771579.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	113284   Click image for larger version

Name:	1447872809873.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	113285  

Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 11:36   #62

Boat: Privilege 435

My tip (for what it's worth) is whatever paint you decide upon, whether it be one or two part, choose one of the manufacturers standard popular colours. A painted boat, no matter how well done will always be more prone to minor scratches and bumper rubbing marks than gel coat. As long as you have a standard colour, it's ea
sy to touch up marks a year or two down the line.
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2015, 21:50   #63
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
Wow! Talk about being a chauvinist! My wife can roll and tip most yard painters under the scaffolding! I don't think painting needs to have a specific sexual orientation!����
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
One person rolls, the other tips. Work together. IME this is not a job to involve the wife but YMMV..........
Hmm... I can't quite see how you have found this to be chauvinistic ; especially in the context of the thread. And to mix up sexual orientation with gender is even harder to comprehend; unless the chauvinism label now applies to both gender and sexual orientation - I don't always keep up with the changing of language.

At no time have I suggested any skills are gender specific and certainly nothing about your wife skills.

Although I thought my quoted sentence was self evident, maybe it isn't so allow me expand.

We can presume the OP (RC), hasn't got a lot of experiece in rolling and tipping with boat paint, after all he started this thread with questions about roller covers. We can assume that if there is a Mrs RC, she hasn't much experience in this art either otherwise Mr RC would be asking Mrs RC rather than us.

90+% of topcoating is about appearance and let's all assume that RC wants a reasonable or better finish on this job. He is investing $$ and sweat so considering his lack of experience in the art of boat painting, I suggest there will be some emotional stress in doing the job. Presumably Mrs RC also wants a nice looking topcoat so she will have some emotional capital invested also.

So if they decide to do the job themselves, there is (IMO), a fair chance that some negative feelings might arise with one or the other caused by the stress of learning a new art without the luxury of time or practice. Of course, with some husband / teams, this would not be an issue hence the caveat of YMMV.

There is also less chance (again IMO) that workers not related in a close emotional partnership will endure such emotions and even if they do, they will go their respective ways after the job is finished.

I really did think this was straightforward...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 00:37   #64
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Now I'm confused Wottie

Whose doing what with whom?.. and pleased don't gloss over the details
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 02:13   #65
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Well, firstly, I will be now doing the top coat in two pack I've ordered 8 liters.

The sand blasting is going very slowly on the anti foul. The top sides is coming off easily but the below water is a bit of a struggle.

I am very surprised so far of the condition of the starboard below water. So far no dents, rust or even filler. The problem is that within ten minutes of blasting an area rust develops. I've purchased 10 liters of phosphoric acid and will be giving the side there doing a coat of two pack oxide tonight.

Be careful and research well before coating. ASTM guidelines for coating steel require application of primer within 45 minutes of blasting bright, for exactly the reason you are experiencing. Other guidelines include requiring the substrate to be a minimum of 15 degrees above current dewpoint. This generally requires blasting the boat clean, ie removing all coatings, and then coming back after clean up and doing a final blast to remove oxidation right before coating. Often a large heater inside the boat is required, or more than one. I have painted many large steel commercial vessels, just did the local fire department boat. Looks like no measures were taken to preserve the waterline, potentially. I will usually break up a blasting job of this magnitude, transferring the waterline up onto the hull via tick stick method and blasting the bottom and coating it first, then transfer waterline back down and blast and coat hull topsides. Bit late for that. Makes it much easier to catch the bond windows after blasting when you break it up too. The boat should be fully tented; some dust always escapes but complaining neighbors is a sign of poor containment. It'd never fly in my yard!

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 02:28   #66
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

http://www.international-pc.com/reso...reparation.pdf

http://www.international-marine.com/...reparation.pdf

http://www.iso.org/iso/catalogue_det...csnumber=29751

https://www.iso.org/obp/ui/#iso:std:...:-2:ed-2:v1:en

I strongly suggest you download and read fully ISO 8504-1:2000 , ISO 8504-2:2000, & ISO 8504-3:1993. Skip the parts that don't apply, and pay very close attention to the parts that do.

Old 19-11-2015, 02:57   #67
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
There are five holes to repair. One into the bilge, one in the keel, very low, one into a rope locker, three separate ones into one of the forward bow lockers and the one that worries me the most is a small one under the engine.

But overall, it's come up great. Historically, I'm betting I'll be the last one to ever sand blast there I'm betting

I'm betting too! No tent, no tarp under the boat, nearest neighbor is a few feet away. I'd be arrested if I did that here! But only after being soundly thrashed by my neighbors...

Old 19-11-2015, 09:30   #68

Boat: Custom Catamaran

So how's progress?
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 13:49   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Now I'm confused Wottie

Whose doing what with whom?.. and pleased don't gloss over the details
Not really a relevant question, the more relevant one is "who's paying the rent"

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 20-11-2015, 00:40   #70

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Hi guys, day four (yesterday) was exhausting. I came home at 8pm after a 12 hour day, had a shower and went to bed.

The yard clean up went really well. Owner is happy. I had to wash the boat four times getting ready for the finishing welding repairs. Sand got into everything.

Yesterday the welder went right around the toe rail repairing the holes whilst I prepared the 'new' holes buy cutting squares out of the bilge (1), the front starboard chain locker (3 and stringer to be replaced), two port stern under the water. One was caused by a coin, possibly a lost 2 cent piece which is copper. It caused a clump of rust around it. Another was caused by someone in years gone past who had drilled a 5 mm hole under a bulkhead to the engine then filled it up with putty on the inside and painted on the outside. The sand blasting simply blew the putty out.

And I drilled some holes into the front of the keel and let the water out. There was a lot of water trapped in the keel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	429.8 KB
ID:	113351  
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 00:45   #71

The bilge was a real problem. No wonder it rusted out from the inside. In this picture I've cut out a small square which was welded up today. I've ground a lot of the old paint and rust out, then treated with acid overnight. But, today I've decided I'm going to grind away some more and get it even cleaner before I prime it with red oxide and then prime it.

It's meant to be a dry bilge boat, but for years it's been operated as a wet bilge boat. There's no need for that I believe.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	159
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	113352  
Old 20-11-2015, 00:53   #72

And the diesel tank. stupidly, I drilled through the diesel tank at the back of the keel and before I realized it, I'd spilt about 60 liters. So in order to fix this the welder will be pumping exhaust gas into the tank on Monday. Today I've put about 40 liters of degreaser concentrate into it and I'll let drain out overnight. Tomorrow I'll get stuck into cleaning it where I can with a 'wet' vacuum cleaner. The big surprise to me was to discover that the tank has steps. The engine fuel intake tube sits on the top step, but by mov g to back towards the stern about 600mm will mean I can lower the intake by about 350mm. That I think will add about 40 liters to my volume I didn't know I had, and more importantly mean I'll be able to suck up more of that crud as it develops in the diesel.
Attached Thumbnails

Views:	160
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	113353  
Old 20-11-2015, 01:04   #73

Yesterday, most of my task was 'grinding' and cutting holes where there were new discovered holes. The welder was busy welding. Long day. Two more complaints, same guys. This time about me grinding. They were claiming I was putting grinding sparks on to their boats. Which I think was purely pseudo as both of their boats are far enough away for it too to be happening AND I was mainly grinding in a locker. But I set up last night with three large tarps which really helped the welder today in the wind we had.

Today, I was finishing off grinding, spotting inside for the welder and cleaning the diesel tank again. After getting a gut full of fumes inside from the welder welding outside, it make me feel sick for the rest of the day. So when he packed up at 2pm, I did too and went home. On Monday, he will have to return and fix the front locker stringer and holes which he didn't get to today and weld the fuel tank.

So, the plan for me tomorrow is to wash and clean all over again. Vac inside and perhaps a bit more grinding in the bilge. Then I'll acid the boat and leave that on over night.

Sunday plan - is to wash again, clean with paint prep cleaner (the hull) and then hopefully three coats of two pac red oxide. Leaving the area near the front locker.
Old 20-11-2015, 04:25   #74

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Quote:
Two more complaints, same guys. This time about me grinding. They were claiming I was putting grinding sparks on to their boats. Which I think was purely pseudo as both of their boats are far enough away for it too to be happening AND I was mainly grinding in a locker. But I set up last night with three large tarps which really helped the welder today in the wind we had.
Careful with this one - I had four boats surrounding me complain they had sparks rust on their deck. Fair dues; I cleaned all the decks with Y-10 and the owners were happy. This of course then made us the target for other rusty boats - the yard told us we'd got iron filings on another boat... that was five boats away, and none of the boats in between had rust issues.

In the end, I sat under a tarp (with it taped to the deck around me) and did all the grinding that way, then we vacuumed the deck at the end of every evening so we couldn't be blamed for any more rust...

It sounds like you're making great progress and the bull work will be done soon

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 12:32   #75

RC, are you welding in some drain plugs in some of these low points so you drain them again in the future; say a 10 or 12 mm nut and plugged with a set screw.

IMO this is the perfect time to do it.

Sounds like you are making good progress

Tags
hull, hull paint, paint