Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2012, 18:50   #16

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Hull interior tar-like bleeding

Nobody asked you to Buy anything LOL, and by the way ferro boats are steel cored ! at least thats what the designers call them LOL this a Glass/epoxy over a steel core ! what else ya gonna call it ?? heck you can name it something else if ya wish ! we were just talking about the boat he owns and one Im buying ! thats all ! no problem with your ideas conventional or not the boats were bilt this way ! and Im sure theres other things you have not seen or heard of !! then again maybe not !!
Old 08-08-2012, 20:03   #17
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

You're right, Bob. I guess they also need to teach the construction industry that all those concrete buildings are "steel cored" as well, not just reinforced concrete. Cored is cored, a heart of something. Just doesn't sound right from here. Like the folks who say "insure" when the mean "ensure", popular doesn't make it right.

What else would I call it? Heck, I'd give it a trademarked name like FerroGlass or SteelGlass and refer to it as a brand of "steel reinforced fiber composite hull". Whether putting steel inside any boat is a pro or on, I'm not so sure of. There's probably always some downside if the steel rusts and spalls out the frp, personally I'd rather have either a frp hull OR a metal hull, one or the other. But hey, maybe they've got a great discovery and they'll revolutionize boat building. You know, "Wilbur, that flying machine ain't never gonna get off the ground!"

Stranger things have happened.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:35   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Nobody asked you to Buy anything LOL, and by the way ferro boats are steel cored ! at least thats what the designers call them LOL this a Glass/epoxy over a steel core ! what else ya gonna call it ?? heck you can name it something else if ya wish ! we were just talking about the boat he owns and one Im buying ! thats all ! no problem with your ideas conventional or not the boats were bilt this way ! and Im sure theres other things you have not seen or heard of !! then again maybe not !!
Maybe you could clarify how you are using the term core to resolve the question. For most people the work core means a solid center of that material. Like a plywood core deck on a boat. Solid plywood with layers of glass over and under. My experience with ferrocement boats is that the steel is a mesh or grid that is covered over with the cement (or in this case epoxy).

So to understand, are you referring to a boat that is solid plate steel that is covered over with cement (almost like a thick coat of paint over a steel hull boat) or are you referring to a boat that is a steel mesh, grid, frame or what have you that is filled with cement?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 13:07   #19

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post

bobconnie, I think this is an example of a confusion of terminology. In boatbuilding, a cored boat is sandwich construction: a solid top layer, a solid middle layer(usually of another material), and a solid bottom layer--ergo, sandwich construction. This is quite different from the construction mentioned in this discussion:namely, a steel keel ,ribs and framework covered by glass/epoxy. The latter is much akin to wooden and/or steel boatbuilding with the exception that rather than using steel plates and/or wooden planks it is covered in glass/epoxy. It would be improper to use the term cored for this type of construction but rather, perhaps, steel framed hull covered with glass/epoxy. Does that makes sense?
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 21:28   #20

Hey again Bobconnie...thanks again for imput...mine has 5.5ft draft too. I love the design, and have no problems with the hull, just a little bleed in 2 spots.(literally 3 or 4 dribbles)
I am out of the country at the moment, and will be back in a couple of weeks so will be about to give you whatever little info I have on Builder etc then.
And 'hellosailor', I understand what you are saying...I guess you could call this a ferro-epoxy, rather than ferro-cement, because of the ferrous armature.
bushymac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, interior