Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2017, 09:21   #1
gwy

Boat: Paceship32
Hull Insulation - Seeking Suggestions, Hints, etc.

Hello All,

Am restoring a Paceship 32 (Briton Chance design) and in the forecastle extending the berth. The hull sides are covered with ash ceiling strips and I've had more milled. I've attached a photo, shown is a locker that was behind cabinet doors - thus behind that locker the hull was left bare. I'm filling/glassing in the "running light" ports; they are not needed as I've both a tri-colored mast head and forward mounted running lights on the pulpit. The locker is being eliminated so I can extend the berth to the bow; I am simply too long for the berth. Will be removing all of the ceiling strips and thought I'd insulate the hull before putting back the old ceiling strips and adding the new strips to cover the whole area - it will help make the sleeping more comfortable as fall gets pretty chilly here in Maine.

Wondering what folks might suggest to line the hull with - the space available between the hull and the ceiling strips is 3/4 of an inch. I could shim things and possibly make an inch space, though that would be pushing it.

Thanks.

gwy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	forecastle before change.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	139570  
gwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2017, 09:36   #2
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Hull Insulation - Seeking Suggestions, Hints, etc.

Is the hull cored? That will greatly reduce condensation. I'm assuming it is not.

1/2-inch Armaflex closed cell foam, either self-adhesive or bonded with contact cement.

Anything that can get wet (fiberglass, open cell foam) will get soaked with condensation, particularly in a sleeping cabin, and will turn to mildew. Even closed cell foam must be bonded TIGHTLY to the hull so that air cannot get between them.

That will add about R-2, getting you to about R-4 overall.

Don't forget the windows. Internal storm windows are a big help. You are probably loosing just as much heat through a few small ports. Also gaps around the companionway.

Winter Sailing Tips for Diehards - Practical Sailor Print Edition Article

Winter Sailing Tips for Diehards - Practical Sailor Print Edition Article
Old 13-01-2017, 09:42   #3
gwy

Boat: Paceship32
Re: Hull Insulation - Seeking Suggestions, Hints, etc.

The hull, as you correctly surmised is not cored and the condensation issue is why I'm asking about materials. Only overhead hatch, being replaced, in the forecastle. In the hatch use a day/night solar vent. Lots of areas indeed lose heat and all will be sealed etc as time goes. Forecastle is first. Closed cell is a must, Armaflex will look into it. Thank you.
gwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, insulation