Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2012, 10:36   #16

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: How would you patch a 1/4" hole?

I mix my own brand of marinetex using epoxy and filler. If you only have one little patch to do the the smallest quantity of marinetex is a good way to go and it comes in white if that's what your cabin top is. It will not be the same color as your gelcoat but will be really close. The cloth backing is a good idea but the way I usually fill those types of holes is with a hardwood dowel saturated with epoxy and just drive the dowel in until it stops, let the epoxy harden and then cut the dowel off flush and paint it.
Good luck in whichever way you choose. Make certain you mask things off where you don't want to have epoxy or marinetex to end up and where some protection on your hands.
kind regards,
Old 20-02-2012, 10:47   #17

Boat: Columbia 41

Not to ask too many questions but...why is there this void in the first place? If you fill it with expanding foam will you be causing another problem? For example, does your companion way hatch slide into the void space? Since this is a 1/4" hole it really should not be hard to fill at all. See the previous post for fixes. I am just wondering why the void in the first place.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 11:18   #18

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design

Sam Plan B...no problem. The void results fromthe way the cabin liner is molded. Although i can't see inside...this seems to be what I have.
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 13:01   #19

Boat: Columbia 41

Okay then. I would not recommend expanding foam because the void is so tiny. Foam exerts a lot of pressure as it expands and it could deform your liner. If you squirt in anything but a few drops you may have a real problem. If it was me I would make a surface patch with layers of over lapped fiberglass cloth as is mentioned in previous posts.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2012, 13:18   #20

Do you think it would make it easier to insert a patch if I enlarge the hole to maybe 3/4". Then use the string method described earlier...?
Old 20-02-2012, 13:29   #21
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
I've never used Marinetex. Does West Marine sell it?
Buy two: one to use know, one to keep in your repair kit.

This is a product that I always keep on hand. A thousand uses. Especially good for repairs while underway.

Only problem is that it tends to yellow after a few years. It may start out the same color as your gelcoat, but it won't stay that way for long.
Old 20-02-2012, 14:25   #22

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Gosh Guys,

It's a quarter inch hole... in the deck! Don't overdo this repair -- it isn't structural, it is to keep rain, bugs and spilled beer out.

One would imagine that the deck is something like 1/4 inch thick as well. If it were mine I would take a countersink, bevel it out somewhat and stuff Marinetex or equivalent into it. Use a putty knife to make the surface nearly flush, let it harden, sand flat with a sanding block, paint if the color match bothers you.

Over-engineering only gets you ulcers...

Cheers,

Jim
Old 20-02-2012, 15:18   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Chamfer the hole with a countersink bit and fill with epoxy resin with a thickener or Marine Tex. Don't like working with Marine Tex, it's too stiff, so would use epoxy with a filler but that's a personal thing.

1//4" hole doesn't need to be back filled unless it's going to have fastener bolted through it. Use a Dremel 199 bit to clean out the foam in the immediate vicinity of the puka, if that's the case. Cut in at an angle with the dremel till you can hold the tool vertical to minimize the incision and then rout out the foam. I've tried bent nails and ground down allen wrenchs to rout out the core material but find they can be too much for a Dremel tool to swing or chatter dangerously in a drill.. CAUTION, use the foam that says it expands and not to put too much in. The non expanding type of foam never really goes off and remains soft and mushy. Not what you want to contain the filler resin. The expanding foam will distort the liner or deck if you put too much in so don't go overboard with the stuff.

The foam filler works a treat if
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 02:03   #24

Its a 1/4 inch hole, mix a small amount of epoxy paint epoxy inside hole then add filler of your choice to remaining epoxy and fill hole.........or get a 1/4 inch screw and glue it with epoxy it will make the next owner think, and maybe post on here "What is this screw on my new to me boat".

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 02:23   #25
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Its a 1/4 inch hole, mix a small amount of epoxy paint epoxy inside hole then add filler of your choice to remaining epoxy and fill hole.........or get a 1/4 inch screw and glue it with epoxy it will make the next owner think, and maybe post on here "What is this screw on my new to me boat".
You beat me to that Plan B!

I was going to suggest a coach bolt(?) something domed and with no screw slot (so no snagging) - cut it down to fit and fix in place using a generous helping of your favourite sticky gunk

The bonus being as suggested - new owner given many hours of pleasure puzzling over "WTF is that for" .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2012, 05:50   #26

Have you seen the plastic flowers that come with all Volkwagen Beetles. They sit in a little bud vase on the dash. Maybe I could epoxy one of those in the hole and call it landscaping!
Old 21-02-2012, 07:48   #27
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhr1956 View Post
Have you seen the plastic flowers that come with all Volkwagen Beetles. They sit in a little bud vase on the dash. Maybe I could epoxy one of those in the hole and call it landscaping!
Great plan. Before you begin, you might want to read one of the threads about the absolute brilliance of previous owners.