Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2016, 10:37   #61

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: How Would You Build a New Shower?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
...The biggest trick to keeping grout clean is to use epoxy-fortified grout. ...
Thanks, Hellosailor.

Good to know. I have a tiled floor in my [woodworking] shop head I'm preparing to grout... I will explore this...

I'm guessing the epoxy grout would be more difficult to work with in that clean-up timing would be critical... It would be great to only have to deal with grout once...

In our case, as I mentioned in my original post, the tile we inherited in our current vessel is still functional after all these years, but it would not be our first choice if it ever needs replacing... [My Admiral's post in this thread reinforces that sentiment...]

Cheers!

Bill
Old 31-01-2016, 10:44   #62
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Bill-
I never really looked at the time factors, but the cleanup and handling on the epoxy fortified grout aren't at all like "filled epoxy" would be, they're in line with regular grout. This is one of those odd things, like "Uh, we're gonna spend $10,000 refinishing the master bathroom, gee honey, let's save thirty bucks on the grout." And of course, the tile guy doesn't want to mention it, if he can save $30 that's pizza all week for lunch. (sigh)
The concept of "water soluble" and "epoxy" has just never seemed likely to me. Kind of like knitting, when you turn a piece of string into a "sheet" of clothing.(G)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 18:21   #63

How about custom tiled shower pan with linear drain:

I could make the pan from 2" thick corecell sandwiched between 1/2" okoume marine ply on each side. Solid AF. Zero flex. Hull has almost no flex as well, but that would be one stiff shower pan.

Then....

Rest of the shower stall from white, premade foamboard panels with pvc or other plastic faces?

Use latex or silicone caulking at edges to seal. Weight wouldn't be too bad because it's just a 22x40 pan and the rest of the shower is foam cored.

Probably would use a sump.

I saw this thread.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...oat-64651.html
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 07:30   #64

Boat: Ovni 395

I'm rebuilding an aluminum sailboat and converting one cabin into toilet & shower. In my case the standing headroom is only on 1.2 m by 30 centimeters. The toilet seat i an to place where only a sitting headroom is. I'm still trying to figure out how to make a proper shower curtain in my situation.

Taras
xslim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower