Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-06-2018, 13:06   #16

Boat: J/42
Re: How to track maintenance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
If you can't write it down in the log why would you think you will write it down in an app?
Ten times faster to type than to write longhand.
You can search for specific text and find it in an instant.
Easy to drop photos and drawings into the log.
If stored in your own cloud space (not somebody's free app) can access it equally well from the boat or from the workshop or the office.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 13:43   #17

Boat: Catalina 425

Weems and Platt has a great logbook.
wizoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 15:28   #18

Don't forget to log your pump outs also
dreisen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 15:29   #19

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

you mean maintenance record / starts with a to do list / as you tick off your to do list and write down fresh tasks to do don't discard your old lists / they become your maintenance log / keep receipts and staple them to the finished list / store in Tupperware box / best to keep your to do lists up front / put reminder on beer fridge 'check to do list'
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 15:45   #20

Boat: 1984 Harbor Master

I've been poking around with "Boat Manager" (creative name, I know) but after you enter all of your Boat Information in, you can select what level frequency you'd like to be reminded (also has their recommended frequency) and you can be notified when it's time, for example, an Oil Change, Engine Check, etc...or whatever you want to enter.

You can track when you fill up with gas (and how much), enter your odometer and it'll figure your gas usage.

You can create CHECK LISTS like "Departure Checklist" or "Items Need to Get" etc...

If you're diligent about entering your gas purchases, mileage reading (or Hours), you'll get Year to Date results (or Year to Current) along with a Graph that shows your useage visually, like "Distance per $", Distance per Gallon, Fuel Consumption, Total Cost per Year, even "Emissions" (lbs. CO2/day)

It's ALL relying on entering EVERYTHING, in order to manage, plan, and decipher strategies...but you need to Enter it All.
Most of it, initially, but after that...your Fill Ups, your Hours at Fill Ups, any Expenses, etc..
But that's with any Xcel Spreadsheet (sic)

It's Boat Manager from KiWi Objects in Apps
(mine is for my iPad)
DumDum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 15:59   #21

Boat: Amel 50

Spiral notebook for quick notes while on board. Then transfer to an Excel spreadsheet. One tab keeps track of engine hours, the clock tick for much maintenance, and the maintenance performed at logged hour intervals. You can get fancy and auto schedule maintenance at certain hour intervals. Another tab keeps part inventory. Another keeps tips and notes. Etc, etc.

Also, file all your receipts for parts and/or services. Good way to remember when you forget to log something.
Howler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 16:18   #22

Boat: Fusion 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
I have been using Excel for years, easy to set up easy to enter. color coded tabs for sheets on the bottom, easy to print out. Simple and easy. I keep it on a dedicated cigarette pack sized computer mountrd at the chart table on the boat along with opencpn, pilot charts and sailing directions. back up is a thumb drive.

no apps, easy to take a copy home, and everything reads excel.

M
I have kept all my records as a hard copy for the last 5 yrs and it now covers pages and pages. The difficulty comes where you need to see the maintenance history of a particular piece of equipment eg how many times have i replaced the bilge pumps. I am now looking to build an excel database that can sort these things easily. If your excel database has any sophistication I'd be interested to see it. There are a number of free Computerised Maintenance Management Systems on the web but they are all clunky or over complicated. excel looks to be the best choice for a small database.

Scrubby
jacktheflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 20:49   #23

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence
How to track maintenance?

Keep a log in excel for everything on my 2003 Hunter 356. I log NM/SM, Times docked, times anchored, engine/generator hours, fuel consumption, oil changes, impeller changes, fuel filter changes, keep people and maintenance logs. I am on year 16 with our boat, and tell you about anything you want to know. I have a separate worksheet for boat parts inventory and where the part is located. If you start when it’s new, it’s easier to keep, but it is never too late to begin. This same chart keeps track of fuel and estimated fuel remaining and to fill tanks. Excel is very versatile. I have it on my Ipad so it is easy to log as we do it.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 23:33   #24

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmikem View Post
I have been using Excel for years, easy to set up easy to enter. color coded tabs for sheets on the bottom, easy to print out. Simple and easy. I keep it on a dedicated cigarette pack sized computer mountrd at the chart table on the boat along with opencpn, pilot charts and sailing directions. back up is a thumb drive.

no apps, easy to take a copy home, and everything reads excel.

M

Yep I agree. Simple, easy. Have been using this for the past 15 years.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:33   #25

I use Excel, like many others. I have also written how often different things should be done, for example after 100 engine ours, 60 days or 1000 NM. Once in a while I update two squares with engine hours and how long I have sailed (date is updated automatic) and if else formulas give me a notification when I have to do/check something.
Arrandir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2018, 09:05   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktheflyer View Post
I have kept all my records as a hard copy for the last 5 yrs and it now covers pages and pages. The difficulty comes where you need to see the maintenance history of a particular piece of equipment>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I just went through this yesterday. It's been awhile since I replaced our alternator belt. I hand input all boat work with date and engine hours onto a form I made from a spreadsheet. In 20 years I'm up to filling 19 pages. While I understand the rapidity in which a computerized document can be searched, I just didn't find it too onerous to sit down and go through the last five pages and find out when I did it last. "Holy cow, how'd that belt last so blinkin' long?!?" Or: "Darned good belt for having lasted that long." Or: "Dagnabbit, good thing I finally got around to it!"

Besides, it was fun reading all the other things I'd done, too! "Oh, that was that darned busted knuckles day!" I can smile about those days, but only now!

Besides, I don't have the computer on the boat all the time, so I'd have to write it down longhand, type it at home, print it out, bring it back to the boat... I'd kill too many trees!

I believe the concept is to write things down so you don't forget you did them, as well as to have contemporary records - it's good maintenance and preventative maintenance practice. After all, we run complicated machines. I used to think it was to "impress" the next owner, but finally realized it is more for only me and my incredibly shrinking memory than anything else.

The remarks column has the biggest space, so I can do a few tasks and still only need just one line per working day, usually. It also has enough room for me to write down "Tips & Tricks" of any given task. For example, changing the transmission fluid has a few tricks that are time saving, so I write them in red and they'e easy to find.

For repetitive tasks, like filters and HX I write them in on the top margin, including last, done and next engine hours, and the pages are kept in a three ring binder. When each page is done, I take it home and scan it into a PDF and bring the PDF file printout back to the boat, leave the originals at home (I don't liveaboard). [I wouldn't be surprised if OCR could scan my notes, I still have decent handwriting. Never saw the need, might be a fun winter project.]

I keep a separate fuel consumption log that not only records fills, but calculates and projects the next refill amount.

I also keep a separate Inventory spreadsheet of all purchases of equipment & parts, with sources and model numbers, this one is typed and rarely printed out in full.

My handwritten deck log is mostly cruise stories, very little in the way of maintenance other than last water refills.

When I first read the OP, I almost replied immediately literally word for word just as sailorboy1 did.

The KEY is that it takes DISCIPLINE to do this, regardless of the method employed.

Your boat, your choice.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Page 16.pdf (406.8 KB, 76 views)
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:46   #27

Boat: 2003 Beneteau 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Over Budget View Post
I record all maintenance and upgrades in a Word document/chart that I then upload to Dropbox. In Dropbox my records are available on a computer, iPhone or iPad. Works for me.
Same here. Expenses go in a spreadsheet with a tab for each year and an overall summary. I also scan and ocr all receipts as PDF and file by month.

Paper log book has all of the details organized by date.

Cheers, RickG
RickG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 12:14   #28

Boat: 1979 Islander 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by flash View Post
Cool - I just downloaded an iPhone/iPad app called "Boat Boss". Seems really good - track maintenance, costs, parts and other stuff.

I use BoatingSuite to record trip logs, fuel, and maintenance.
macman4190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2018, 08:01   #29

Boat: Great Harbour N37, 37' (sold)

We subscribed to Wheelhouse Technologies for managing vessel maintenance, spare parts, and documents. Safe cloud-based source for user manuals, notes, drawings, photos, invoices, warranties, maintenance and repair history, maintenance scheduling and forecasting. Robust reporting from individual system (HVAC, electrical distribution, electrical generation, water, main propulsion, etc.) to entire vessel (as-built, for example). More than paid for itself by providing priceless peace of mind to us (living aboard and cruising full-time) as well as the eventual buyers. Would not recommend for marina queens or those cruising fewer than 500 hours per year.

We used Boating Suite on my iPhone for daily trip log and fuel. Useful reports.
Old 19-06-2018, 07:00   #30

Boat: Wellcraft Steplift V20 / Ericson 27

I’m with Capt Mike and I’m a A/C pilot and owner as well. No need for A/C log books for a boat. For those who don’t know Excel just use Word. If you don’t like electronic records use a composition book over spiral bound.
We are not talking rocket science here.
aa1bflyboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance