Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-08-2021, 06:10   #31

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS
Re: how to test a chinese part versus name brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Mighty View Post
Good to see a bloke stand up for principle.

Toss out the tea and ketchup. Give oranges, tangerine/mandarin oranges, and pomelos the heave ho. Send all those weirdo leafy green varieties of the cabbage group straight to the bin.

Toss out the paper, moveable type, and gunpowder.

And be serious: toss out sail battens, lazy jacks, the whole idea of bulkheads and that of sternpost rudders, too. End the junk rig (and all the ideas that came with it, including the afore-said battens and lazy jacks).

Away with those ideas of yin and yang. Don't let silk get near you.

Steer right away from artesian wells. Outlaw wheelbarrows. Spurn the idea of inoculation.

And porcelain! Jeez, some fools call it china or chinaware!

Tinted spectacles? Chinese invention to hide where a judge was looking.

Bureaucracy too - chuck it out along with the notion of exams for entry to the civil service. Norman King Roger of Sicily was the mug who introduced those poisonous ideas from China. Silly blighter commissioned Muslim scholars to write a compendium of all knowledge, unthinkingly opening the way for the idea of experts in government maintaining written files and following rules of procedure. Shocking!

Into the dumper go all the ideas of Confucius and small, ethical government.

Pity our friends in Nippon, Republican Korea, and Viet Nam. They'll have to give up some fraction of their written languages.

The local florist is going to be in trouble - it's going to take a while to sort out the exact origin of those chrysanthemums, peonies, hibiscus rosa-sinensis (jolly name gives itself away!), camellias, plum blossoms, and azaleas.

Same with decorative knots, just not needed.

As for stir frying in a wok! No more. Make it a rule: deep fry is good, boiling or stewing better. None of this piddly splash of oil in a curved pot. Out!

We might need a book burning, but I hear the precedent for that might be Chinese too.
You can also toss out the 80+million Mao killed and the countless millions that communism has enslaved and killed in the area...and thank them for Covid too and many other pandemics past, present, and future. BTW, all those products you mentioned...we would still have them but not break down as often and made by people working in better conditions and not enslaved by the Chinese Communist Party.

Abe

Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 06:32   #32

Boat: 58'Kelsall Ballota Catamaran

I want a new gen set to replace a northern lights 12kw. Any suggestions— Chinese’s seem a third the price and I’m not in the usa so delivery is about the same Alibaba.com seems the place to order from. Any other ideas
ocean.jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 06:39   #33

That's a lot of sarcasm!
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 06:43   #34

The best test for a chinese part is to "drop-check" it.
P3sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 06:55   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Could we stick to the question asked?

Today the major brand is likely Pacific Rim if not China itself. I went looking for a counter top ice maker recently and quickly realized that 90%, across numerous brands, were coming off the same assembly line. Only the cases differed slightly.

I think that if I was considering a genset not attached to a US or European name brand, I'd dig about a bit and see if the parts were available and attached to a major source. It's the same as Kubota making Universal parts and Tohatsu making Nissan outboards.
Old 23-08-2021, 06:55   #36

I agree with the other posters that you can just try them and inspect them after use, which is probably all you really care about. But if you really want to know, there are material analysis labs you can send these into to test.

For example

https://www.emsl.com/Services.aspx?a...ceCategoryID=8

Just one of many that are around. I am quite sure that this is not cheap, however, and that your functional tests will cost less and also provide you a more important answer than material analysis.
Base821 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 06:58   #37

I’d be surprised if 80% of what you buy isn’t made in China.
Leighpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 07:29   #38

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
The Anerican firm places its order with a Chinese manufacturer. The specification is pages (or more) long, and the bearings get tested as meeting the specification. The American company does not want to have to recall every product it sent out because a supplier sent it defective bearings. In other words the American source is your assurance that the quality is OK; where it was manufactured is not important.

Yeah, testing bearings would take a lab full of equipment. In this case, it wuld include chemical analysis.
. The American source is your assurance etc . What an absolutely ridiculous statement, you have no proof what so ever. The exact opposite is more true. They certainly will send out parts that they know to be defective. Want proof, buy any product manufactured with china junk . Notify the manufacturer that the item failed, what's their reply??? No problem... We will be glad to send you another item. Then the buyer asked , when should I return the damaged item the reply is, Oh just dispose of the item in a safe manner. They know they are selling junk, but they are competing price wise and they are satisfied with that . They will send you multiple replacements because like the O P states they are not buying for a part for a dollar they're buying for fractions of a penny .
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 07:33   #39
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
how to test a chinese part versus name brand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl-T705 View Post
. The American source is your assurance etc . What an absolutely ridiculous statement, you have no proof what so ever. The exact opposite is more true. They certainly will send out parts that they know to be defective. Want proof, buy any product manufactured with china junk . Notify the manufacturer that the item failed, what's their reply??? No problem... We will be glad to send you another item. Then the buyer asked , when should I return the damaged item the reply is, Oh just dispose of the item in a safe manner. They know they are selling junk, but they are competing price wise and they are satisfied with that . They will send you multiple replacements because like the O P states they are not buying for a part for a dollar they're buying for fractions of a penny .

Wow just wow. It’s like anti Japan stuff in the 60s and 70s
Old 23-08-2021, 07:35   #40
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingabe41ds View Post
You can also toss out the 80+million Mao killed and the countless millions that communism has enslaved and killed in the area...and thank them for Covid too and many other pandemics past, present, and future. BTW, all those products you mentioned...we would still have them but not break down as often and made by people working in better conditions and not enslaved by the Chinese Communist Party.

Abe

Abe

Lots of wealthy Chinese middle classes , the system has literally lifted billions out of abject poverty. Provided mass education to high standards good healthcare at low cost, jobs , housing etc.

Sounds like they are doing a good job
Old 23-08-2021, 07:36   #41
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
What the hell did I say that bought out the idiots ?

You denigrated a whole nation
Old 23-08-2021, 07:41   #42

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord 12.3m

Hi Dave_S
It’s hard to avoid buying Chinese: my DeWalt drill - made in China
Expensive Oscar de la Renta sports coat - made in China
My Solar panels - made in China
ditto my iPhone, iPad, toaster, kettle
Pretty much 90% of consumer products manufacturing is outsourced to China
The list is thousands of everyday inexpensive and top brand products long
geoff3nebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 07:50   #43

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seapig View Post
How could one go about comparing these items without a bunch of sophisticated equipment?

@tkeithlu nailed it in his post early in the thread.

It is almost impossible to "test in" quality, that is, to be sure that a lot of items are of high quality by testing them post-production. People make careers out of quality management and every one of them I've met places greater focus on the process by which items are made than on tests performed after the fact.

Part of this is the inherent difficulty of evaluating quality. Thorough tests (like chemical composition and presence of contaminants) for your parts would involve destructive testing. How many are you going to test? There's the cost of the test and the cost of the destroyed items to consider. But there may be a problem with, say, contamination of the plastic resin that only shows up in 1% of the balls, and if you test 50 of them you'll probably miss it. And then one out of ten of your blocks fail because one of the balls is bad.

Functional test, sure, you can test a dozen blocks to the point of destruction and see whether the ones with replacement balls last as long as the ones with factory balls. At different temperatures. In salt spray. In dust.

So ultimately what most people do is choose a reputable source -- and McMaster-Carr is a good one -- and figure the parts will be good enough, and will mostly be what McMaster-Carr says that they are.
Old 23-08-2021, 07:55   #44

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff3nebel View Post
Hi Dave_S
It’s hard to avoid buying Chinese: my DeWalt drill - made in China
Expensive Oscar de la Renta sports coat - made in China
My Solar panels - made in China
ditto my iPhone, iPad, toaster, kettle
Pretty much 90% of consumer products manufacturing is outsourced to China
The list is thousands of everyday inexpensive and top brand products long
All junk...

In reality, the 'Chinese-is-junk meme' reflects accurate information on those possessing it, while revealing nothing at all about Chinese-manufactured products.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2021, 08:09   #45

Boat: Canadian Sailcraft CS36T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
I try not to buy anything from China. Sadly it's not always possible. It's usually poor quality and I don't like the politics.

The only thing that has lasted that was made in China is covid.
Did O'Bliden thank China for the gift?
DaveBartilson is offline   Reply With Quote