Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-02-2017, 09:10   #1

Boat: Privilege 435
How to stop my rudder arm from rattling

The arm that connects my two rudders is a plate which just sits on a bolt. It sometimes rattles quite noisily. I could tighten down on the bolt but that would just make turning the rudder more difficult. Is there any sort of bearing which might do the trick? I can't see how a roller bearing would work. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4131.jpg
Views:	490
Size:	415.6 KB
ID:	140539  
Privilege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:19   #2

Boat: Westsail 28
Re: How to stop my rudder arm from rattling

I would make a nylon washer to go in there . But you have to come up with a way that you can tighten up without putting to much pressure on the washer .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 09:52   #3

O.K I might have answered my own question. A flange bearing.

Name:	23314_m.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	7.5 KB
ID:	140540
Old 02-02-2017, 09:55   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

It's impossible to tell what you have there with all the grease around it. Is there a bronze bushing through the plate that the bolt goes through? I would make sure that the bolt is down as far as it will go without clamping the plate/bushing. A bolt with a shoulder that will bottom out just before it clamps down on the plate would work.

I would clean up that area, take another picture and send it to Privilege asking for their advice. You could also post that picture here as well.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 06:53   #5

That appears to be a shouldered bolt with no threads at the top. There appears to be a bushing in the arm hole siting proud of the hole. The bolt should not be sitting proud, that looks dangerous . Tighten it up and see what how she looks. If it won't tighten down to remove rattle, consider stacking stainless and nylon washers above and below, or a shorter shouldered bolt. Reassemble with locktite on threads.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:30   #6

are you sure that the vibration is being caused because of worn rudder bearings. That was my problem, not the arm connections.
shawndear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:36   #7

It's definitely the arm. I addressed the rudder bearings a while ago so I've done the hard part. The bolt sticking up has no bushings or anything; it just goes through the plate.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:38   #8

delrin washer
bsurvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:39   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I'd make an new, adjustable tie rod with Heim joints, or at least fit Heim joints the the existing one
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 08:43   #10

Maybe you need a Thrust washer, they come with bearing inserts or all kinds of variations.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	F3-8-2.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	17.5 KB
ID:	140624  

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:42   #11

Boat: 1975 Tartan 41'

Assuming the noise is due to play/space between the ID of the hole in the plate and the OD of the bolt, then a washer on top or bottom will not stop the noise for long as you would be relying on friction to stop the play. As soon as the washers wear from movement, the noise will be back. The correct way is to drill out the ID of the plate and put a proper fitted bushing in. I would recommend Delrin as the bushing.
zstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:58   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

A bushing will work as a temporary measure, temporary may be years though, but I would use bronze as I'm afraid Delrin would be beaten out, depends on the forces involved of course.
But a Heim joint, ought to last forever
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:12   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by zstine View Post
Assuming the noise is due to play/space between the ID of the hole in the plate and the OD of the bolt, then a washer on top or bottom will not stop the noise for long as you would be relying on friction to stop the play. As soon as the washers wear from movement, the noise will be back. The correct way is to drill out the ID of the plate and put a proper fitted bushing in. I would recommend Delrin as the bushing.
Good point if that's the problem. If that is SS a bronze flanged bushing would be nice.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:14   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privilege View Post
The arm that connects my two rudders is a plate which just sits on a bolt. It sometimes rattles quite noisily. I could tighten down on the bolt but that would just make turning the rudder more difficult. Is there any sort of bearing which might do the trick? I can't see how a roller bearing would work. Thanks.
Put a Delron washer on each side of the plate an just snug it and back off a bit.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:03   #15

Boat: Privilege P43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privilege View Post
It's definitely the arm. I addressed the rudder bearings a while ago so I've done the hard part. The bolt sticking up has no bushings or anything; it just goes through the plate.
I currently have a 1993 P43, which I purchased new. My rudders vibrated and made noise when the rudder shaft bearings became worn. Replacement of all four bearings (upper and lower on both shafts) eliminated the noise. As for the cross bar connection, mine is a schedule 80 aluminum pipe, about 50mm OD, open on both ends (i.e. no flat welded end tabs/plates). However the stainless bolts connecting the aluminum quadrants to the aluminum cross bar (pipe) pass thru a non-metallic bushing that extends thru the pipe and is flush on both outside surfaces, thus electrically and mechanically isolating the stainless bolts from the aluminum cross bar. Non-metallic bushing is about 30mm OD.
Let me know if you need/want a photo.
emcmia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rudder