Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2021, 12:50   #1

Boat: Beneteau 323
How to seal anchor roller/bow sprit?

Hi all,
I've recently noticed that when taking on some bigger waves where they wash over the bow, there is some water slowly getting into the bilge. After looking from the outside, it appears that the anchor roller metal plate is not well sealed to the bow. I would imagine a flexible caulking would work well.

What would be a good way to seal it? I know some say not to use silicone based caulking....but what would be a good alternative?

Requirement: needs to be white to blend with the gelcoat.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 13:17   #2

Boat: Pearson 10M
Re: How to seal anchor roller/bow sprit?

What you heard is correct, do not do use silicone caulk. It leaves a residue anything in the future will not stick to. You can use polysulfide of caulk Like 3M 4200. Personally I would use butyl tape. You have to remove the bow roller first to get a good deal. Buytl remains flexible and it's easy to remove If you need to.
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 13:49   #3

I was hoping to not remove the roller plate as the headstay is attached to it and use something that come out of the tube. If I can't "push" butyl inside, then I would prefer to try 3M 4200 or something similar.
Old 19-04-2021, 13:58   #4

To do it well you need to separate the fitting, clean and caulk. From the outside you are just putting on a bandaid. You can hold the mast with a halyard.

I'd use a flexible like Lifecaulk or etc.
I have done many fittings with 5200. My attitude: "do it once , never do it again" Caveat: Let the next guy try to get it off! haha

For some reason I dont like 4200 that well, but haven't tried it in 20 years (because of that)

Cheechako is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 14:06   #5

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Iíll echo the pull it off to bed it crowd. Running a bead on the outside is just a bandaid
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2021, 15:32   #6

Boat: Little Harbor 58

Everyone has their favorite, mine is:
Caulk SIS 440

It is sold by Teak Decking Systems. Stays firm and flexible. I also agree that it should be removed, cleaned and bedded. Tape off the area around the perimeter about a 1/4" and use a lot of the material. Screw the plate down softly till you have a nice even ooze all around. Go have two beers (approx 30 min). Remove the tape but don't do anything else for 12 hours. Remove the screws and put in new screws and bite them down. Trim the ooze with a razor knife leaving a bevel edge.
FlightPlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2021, 11:28   #7

Boat: Westerly Conway 36ft

On a Beneteau 323, I guess you have a deck opening chain locker? I would make sure there is no possible way for water to get inboard from there.
If you dont have a such a locker, you will have a hawsepipe to a below deck chain locker. You might be getting water ingress to the bilge from there. You may have an outboard drain hole in the bottom of that chain locker - make sure that isnt blocked.
Clivevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 12:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clivevon View Post
On a Beneteau 323, I guess you have a deck opening chain locker? I would make sure there is no possible way for water to get inboard from there.
If you dont have a such a locker, you will have a hawsepipe to a below deck chain locker. You might be getting water ingress to the bilge from there. You may have an outboard drain hole in the bottom of that chain locker - make sure that isnt blocked.
Yes, have the locker and as far as i can tell - it's not coming form there, the drain opening is clear of debris.

Tags
anchor