Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2017, 13:44   #1

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
how to seal a leaking propane ferrel?

The ferrel on the connection of the line into the stove is leaking and being metric, difficult to find a new one, especially while cruising. Just a small leak but the smell is noticable. What can I use to get a better seal? Wrap with white teflon tape? 2 part epoxy, something else? Remember, we are on a boat in the Exumas and HD is hundreds of miles away.
thanks,
Ed
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 14:05   #2

Boat: center console
Re: how to seal a leaking propane ferrel?

You say ferule, do you mean the connection has a brass sleeve over the pipe, and the nut compresses it inside the stove fitting? I would thoroughly clean the mating pieces and look for a crack or scratch in the mating pieces, or a cracked nut. Try the teflon tape, or maybe some epoxy or caulk & let it set overnight. The propane pressure at that end is very low. Repair properly at first opportunity. Be sure you turn off the propane at the tank every time & cook with lots of ventilation & extreme caution.
Maybe you can find a new nut in town somewhere.
Good luck!
1affiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 14:27   #3

Boat: Holman & Pye Red Admiral 36

Hi Ed - in your situation, I would use 2-part epoxy (MarineTex, JB Weld, #1 Permetex or Fast Setting 4200) and a piece of hose.

The hose ID has to be big enough to slip over the nut and should be long enough so there is 1 to 2-inches extra to fuuly cover the nut and propane hose. You could split the hose to make fitting it over the nut easier.

Then put enough epoxy-goo on to fill the threads and the crack, then only tighten the nut finger tight and let it set. If you try to use a wrench to tighten the nut, you will pre-load the nut - usually only making the crack bigger or possibly causing it to fully split.

If you have epoxy left, goop up the nut and the inside of the hose and position the hose so it fully covers the nut - with hopefully goo coming out of both ends. Position the split so it is 180-deg away from the crack.

Once everything has set, do the soapy water test to make sure the leak is sealed. Since you will have a "hard joint" if you use epoxy you might want to do the soapy test once or twice a day, just to be sure the repair is holding.

This is a mickey mouse repair at best and is only a get-you-home or to the first hardware store ......

If you have a manual bilge pump down in the hull where the stove is, you should pump it for 30-minutes or so to make sure that all of the escaped propane gas is removed from the hull.

Propane is heavier than air and will happily stay in the bilge for a long time......just waiting to go "boom".

Best of luck!

Doug
Doug Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 14:40   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Do not use the white teflon tape, it will degrade upon exposure to gas. if you must, use the pale yellow teflon tape specifically formulated for LPG (although I'd not feel comfortable with that). Also advise against use of epoxy, too brittle when applied that thinly without glass reinforcement. My preferred short term solution would be an anerobic pipe sealer again specifically deigned for fuels and should be available at any hydraulic shop, Loctite makes one. As suggested make sure the fittings are absolutely clean and dry before apllying.
Old 15-01-2017, 14:55   #5

Boat: Valiant 40

What part exactly is leaking? The ferrule, the nut, or the connection between them? I assume you dabbed some soapy water on to see where the gas is leaking out?

I would try loctite on the threads if the nut is leaking. If it's the ferrule I would coat with epoxy, wrap some electrical tape around it when it is partially kicked, then put a small hose clamp on it.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 17:18   #6

LPG on a boat can be very risky once it gets into the hull. As written previously, it's heavier than air and will explode if it gets near a naked flame or possibly even a sparking alternator. I would do the soapy water test first. Then I would get a replacement part. I wouldn't try to patch it up in any way. Your joints must remain gas tight under all circumstances. You never know, gas equipment might be the same all over the world. If it's metric, gear should be available at your place or you can fly it in from a metric country NBD. Do you reckon that all the European car makers for example make a metric car and then a SAE/UNF car? If they don't, you might get a brake hose to connect. Maybe have a chat to a gas fitter.
dlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 17:46   #7

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlymn View Post
......... Maybe have a chat to a gas fitter.
That's the correct answer. A pro who installs and repairs LPG appliances.

Propane can go "BOOM" if not respected.
Old 15-01-2017, 18:22   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

You'd be lucky to find a gas fitter in the Exhumas, but maybe George Town.

But you might find a hand held gas detector at a hardware store. I bought one for just a few $ in the US.

How do the locals cook? With electricity or propane?

Finally, get on the VHF net and ask. Boats have boxes of junk safely stored. Someone might have a ferrule
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 18:58   #9

Check the size of the tube and convert to standard if possible. Makes it easier to find the parts needed to fix. I think you will find that the tube will take a 5/16 sleeve and ferral and mate that to fitting needed to complete connection to your gas supply line. Have had to do this to fix same issue on Eno unit with metric fittings
Jlspivey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 19:30   #10

Propane fittings are usually flare type. Taken it apart for inspection? Compression fittings use the brass ring slipped over the copper pipe. Both can leak if taken apart and put back together a few times. Solution in both cases is to cut back the copper tubing and redo the seal, if you have enough copper tubing to still reach. You'll need a flaring tool if flare type, no way to Mickey Mouse a flare otherwise. Compression fittings are simple cut/smooth operation. I'd look for Loctite/Permatex automotive type thread sealant as a temporary fix. And manually shut off the propane at the tank then letting the flame burn out after each usage.
Dymaxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2017, 19:44   #11

Just a small leak ? What type of connection is the cooker built to accept ?
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 08:11   #12

Boat: Caliber 47

Where in the Exumas are you....have some gas experience....may be able to help

SV Ti Amo
Just outside Georgetown
Caliber40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 08:23   #13

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

You are playing a dangerous game looking for a half assed fix on a propane leak. A new fitting and inspect the tubing which ages and gets brittle/crystalline. I would hate to see you burnt to the water line,
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 08:37   #14

In a situation like this, those of you with experience using St. Brendans Isle, could the parts be forwarded to a location such as the Exumas ?

Home Depot to St. Brendans Isle to the Exumas ?
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2017, 08:52   #15

What Cadence said and remember propane is heavier than air.
Stemci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane